How would you play this passage ? (Newbie asks)

Logicat

• Members

Hi drummers,

a question from a very newbie drummer. I wish to know how a "good" drummer would play this "simple" passage.

While playing a track, i have to hit the snare with the left hand, and the lower tom with the right hand, simultaneously. The snare is hit with the left hand, because just before, i have to play it altogether with the upper tom, for which i use the right hand, so arm "crossing" is not possible in that moment (to me). Then, i have immediately to play the open hihat. The question is what hand am i supposed to use to play the hihat ? Normally i use the right hand, but in cases like this one, since i have to play it so quickly, and since the right hand is more far than the left, i'm tempted to play it with the left hand.

I know this seems pretty obvious, but not to me, since i realized that pros (or good players, generally speaking) sometimes use techniques that are not so obvious, but give better performance/comfort while playing.

In other words : to me, playing the hihat with the left hand feels a little unnatural, although quicker :

drumpic.jpg

What's your opinion ? Which hand would you use ?

Thank you in advance

• Members

+1 to cearleywine.

And to answer your question, the hand i use would depend on the tempo and what was happening afterwards. If it was just a single open hi-hat note and it was fast tempo, i'd use the left. If i was to continue riding on the hi-hat, i would use the right. Whatever works. You say that you can get there quicker with your left hand but it feels a little unnatural. It only feels unnatural because you're not used to it. Get used to it, and then it's another tool to use. You can choose to use the left or the right and feel equally comfortable, depending on the situation. There's no right or wrong answer.... (just right or left :badump::facepalm:)

• Members

It only feels unnatural because it's out of the norm for you. Most people just ride with their right hand. Sort of makes you play into the lobster effect with one hand geared for one thing and the other geared towards another. My right hand (I am left hand by the way) usually plays on snare but I bring it up to the hats all the time and bash the snare with my left. And I use tradition grip mostly.

A good exercise to play is quarter notes in this manner:

Bass drum 4 on the floor by the way...play 4 beats each in time

right hand snare/left hand hat...left hand snare/right hand ride cymbal

1234 (switch) 1234 (switch)...234 (switch)...234

Start with quarters and then work with 8ths. In no time you will feel no difference, and by playing the the kick on all 4 with no break, you build independence moving drum to drum to cymbal to hats...

• Members

Since the hi hat note you need to play is open, can you just do a splash on the hats with your foot? Meaning "splash" the hit hat cymbals by hitting the bottom cymbal with the top and immediately opening the cymbals again allowing them to ring.

Archived