Why is the Acrolite so desireable?

xtranoise

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, my opinion is that first of all it's very affordable. It's a well built one piece aluminum shell, yes has a seem, vertical, which has great tonal quality's. It has a distinct sound of it's own. It's tuning range is fairly broad. It can be played along with several genres. It's basically a "poor mans" Supra. It also accepts several types of heads, from single ply to two ply. Excellent for cross sticking and rim shots. I had one I traded, a "Blacrolite" that I had a Focus X on it that sounded amazing. Ambassador's also play well on them. The one I have now I use with the blues band and have an Aquarian Z-100, (I think that's the name) on it and love it. It sounds good "loose" or tight. Great for brushes. So for $100.00 or so, I think that they're a very versatile drum. Do I like my Gretsch Copper, Witt Steam Bent or Saturn better? Well, yes, but for their particular reasons.

But all of that is JMO>

• Members

I started on one , back then I never knew it was such a crowd pleaser , I always thought it was just OK.

Some folks round here love them with a passion that leans towards fetish.

I don't have a fetish with mine though:lol:

• Members

It is not a cheap drum, although you can buy them cheaply. Many of you are spending the same amount and MORE for a drum at gc or other "custom" that is more cheaply made, and/or just plain sounds cheesey, and you thought you got a good deal .......

the reality is ... what you bought blows big time and the acro..... rules.

• Members

The reason they are so cheap to buy used is they SOLD MILLIONS of them, and there are probably more of them around than any other snare. There is a reason they sold so well, great sound at a great price. Are there other snares out there that sound "better" .......absolutely. But they usually cost alot more.

• Members

It is not a cheap drum, although you can buy them cheaply. Many of you are spending the same amount and MORE for a drum at gc or other "custom" that is more cheaply made, and/or just plain sounds cheesey, and you thought you got a good deal .......

Well, yes, they ARE a cheap drum. They sold them by the thousands, because they were cheap to make, and that is why they are so cheap to buy now. ;)

Hey, if you like them, more power to ya', but I'd rather pay a few bucks more, for a drum that sounds a lot better. :thu:

• Members

Lots of equipment has an elevated opinion by the tenured musicians that in reality is average at best. The best example I can think of is the SM-57 mic. It's considered the workhorse because of what it has done in the past when it had no real competition. Today, if you put the hype and history aside, you'll find the 57 is actually a bit inferior to mics of the same or less cost. I own a few 57's and the best they can do is match the sound of an Audix i5, especially on drums. I've lost count of the numbers of A-B tests I've done on snares with a 57 and an i5 and the i5 always wins except for one specific angle on one snare I have where they are a tie. And don't get me started on the 58.

Drums can be the same. I've played with some high end snares in various stores that are commonly thought of as fantastic but my ears don't lie and they aren't anything impressive, especially for the cost.

Let me be clear that this doesn't mean the Acrolite isn't a great snare, just that you should use your ears and not your history book to determine what is good. If your ears tell you that it's an A list snare, then give it a good opinion. If not, then don't.

• Members

+1

ThePloughman speaks

Hey Ploughman, haven't heard from you for a while (or have I not been paying attention).

anyway, I agree with most others here too. It's just a good drum for the money. It's not a good looking drum, but it's a good drum.;) (that's why I painted mine black)

btw I use my acro as a side snare now since I bought a Tama Starclassic for my main snare. I tuned it up about a 4th higher than my Tama and it sounds very nice. I've always used the Evan ST Dry heads and have been very happy with it. The down side to it I've found is the Acro isn't a LOUD snare. It seems to choke at a higher volume quicker than other snares. But it has decent sensitivity for ghost notes and brushes and a good tuning range.

• Members

Bang for the buck.

These days, I use a Tama Monoply as my primary snare, and since the acrolites are delegated to secondary snare, I don't use them that often.

I do frequently get offers from people to take them off my hands.

Mainly from people that hear them, and don't want me to waste them by leaving them in the acrolite UFO case.

Archived