Why is the Acrolite so desireable?

xtranoise

• Members

I had a similar complaint about volume and the feeling that the drum was choking at higher tunings/impact levels. I did find out after that it sounded just fine in the mix, but my perception of it was different. (I guess that dryness equates to lower volume in my brain.)

Anyhow, I do believe Ludwig has started recently producing 6.5" versions because I saw a music store recently that had 2 in stock. He told me they weren't a special order. I did see a couple on some Ebay stores recently of "new stock". Before now, if you wanted a 6.5" acro, you had to search Ebay for about 2 years to find a used one. ( they made a few special run batches of 6.5" acro's in the 70's/80's for the New York school system. I have seen 3 of these come up in 6 years of daily ebay searching, so those are quite rare) I'd check out if you can get a 6.5 incher, just to see.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I couldnt disagree more. My Acro has a Texture Coated head and when I crank up the rods, my ears ring the entire next day!

You do have to hit it in the blat zone. "Louder" snares will present a more balanced acoustic profile at a lower dynamic; well short of blatilization.

Archived