I will always use Vic Firth sticks, this is why...

Shasta86

• Members

Stick control my friend. You corps guys just wack at the drum. Percussion guys produce tone.
:thu:

Not to sound like a dick, but that was one of the most ill-informed things I've ever read on this here message board. Most corps drummers have much better stick control than any of us, and that includes the ones who use relaxed moeller-based strokes in their techniques (Vanguard, Academy, Troopers, Cavaliers, etc).

I'm pretty sure the ratio of people who can produce tone with their drums to those who can't is much higher with corps drummers than strictly kit players...

• Members

Not to sound like a dick, but that was one of the most ill-informed things I've ever read on this here message board. Most corps drummers have much better stick control than any of us, and that includes the ones who use relaxed moeller-based strokes in their techniques (Vanguard, Academy, Troopers, Cavaliers, etc).

I'm pretty sure the ratio of people who can produce tone with their drums to those who can't is much higher with corps drummers than strictly kit players...

Corps drummers can play lots of fancy figures. Even and loud. That's about 1% of the control required to play music. Which I'm inclined to believe most of 'em can't.

• Members

Corps drummers can play lots of fancy figures. Even and loud. That's about 1% of the control required to play music. Which I'm inclined to believe most of 'em can't.

Drumline (something I never had as a kid) has done wonders for my kid's hands, speed, precision. He'd been all over Stick Control for years.

Another thing it did--which I'm not so sure I approve of--is spoil his taste for light sticks. Used to use 5Bs on the kit, but once he'd had a year with corpsmasters he said it felt like they were "flying out of his hands."

So now he plays 747B oaks, which I can barely lift. :eek:

• Members

First for drumphil, here watch this guy for a couple minutes.

[YOUTUBE]edLhkzAynY4[/YOUTUBE]

Drumline (something I never had as a kid) has done wonders for my kid's hands, speed, precision. He'd been all over Stick Control for years.

Another thing it did--which I'm not so sure I approve of--is spoil his taste for light sticks. Used to use 5Bs on the kit, but once he'd had a year with corpsmasters he said it felt like they were "flying out of his hands."

So now he plays 747B oaks, which I can barely lift.
:eek:

Sure chops is good. Just saying the corps guys take on stick control is based on not going more than a second without doubles and sticking flams in there to boot. On the other hand, I like the heavy sticks. I went through 747Bs to VF Rock Crusher. And now, field sticks. And yes I can play at unplugged jazz dynamics with Ralphies. It has everything to do with to do with stick control.

• Members

haha. The same has happened for me. I have a real hard time playing 7A's because I can't quite get the sound out of the drums that I like, even for jazz. The lightest stick I play is the Peter Erskine "Ride Stick", which I think is somewhat on the heavier side for a jazz stick.

• Members

I feel crippled when I play with my friends sticks. :cry: 747B oaks even feel uncomfortably light for me...

• Members

One thing I will say in my own words is that I've always seen a lot of stereotyping similar to what 1001gear is saying when the topic of marching percussion comes up. I find it strange because all the drumline kids I knew who didn't play on a kit generally had nothing but respect for drum set players; the feeling usually wasn't mutual.

• Members

Sure MP is an accomplishment. Granted many drummers would adopt a brattier posture - something on the order of It Sucks - but I don't think it deserves any credit for its aesthetic failures. Mass outdoor spectacle IOW.

Valid points addressed = 0

• Members

Lemme say that true musical talent will prevail no matter the genre or beginnings. Many colleges require all majors to march so I'm not saying they're all hopeless jocks. I do believe drumline will prepare you for tasteless applications of diddly funk and metal and indeed many of the hotties go that way - where those inanely figured passages have some cover. No doubt exceptions abound, Dendy Jarrett for one - but staying on track, he wouldn't be working if all he played was DC stuff. Anyway all I was barking about was that the greater body of music requires far more than simply dead on drills and that I find RH nylons to be very good sticks. ANYwhooz, when you guys get done with snare drum, may I recommend classical harmony and symphonic xylophone.

• Members

Sure chops is good. Just saying the corps guys take on stick control is based on not going more than a second without doubles and sticking flams in there to boot. On the other hand, I like the heavy sticks. I went through 747Bs to VF Rock Crusher. And now, field sticks. And yes I can play at unplugged jazz dynamics with Ralphies. It has everything to do with to do with stick control.

ok....carter is an exception....what is he holding onto??? there is no stick left in his hand!!!

• Members

Lemme say that true musical talent will prevail no matter the genre or beginnings. Many colleges require all majors to march so I'm not saying they're all hopeless jocks. I do believe drumline will prepare you for tasteless applications of diddly funk and metal and indeed many of the hotties go that way - where those inanely figured passages have some cover. No doubt exceptions abound, Dendy Jarrett for one - but staying on track, he wouldn't be working if all he played was DC stuff. Anyway all I was barking about was that the greater body of music requires far more than simply dead on drills and that I find RH nylons to be very good sticks. ANYwhooz, when you guys get done with snare drum, may I recommend classical harmony and symphonic xylophone.

Marching percussion requires a lot more than just "dead on drills". There is a HUGE necessity for groove and finesse, especially once you get to higher level drumlines. I don't understand why you believe it only prepares you for "tasteless applications of diddly funk and metal" when it does so much more than that. Some of the best jazz drummers I've ever met were hardcore into marching. And just because I play snare, it doesn't mean that I don't have a lot of experience with concert and symphonic percussion. You are making huge generalizations that are entirely based on nothing. It seems to me like you judge all marching guys from the movie Drumline with Nick Cannon, when drumlines like that (although they do exist) are in the VAST minority of what actually happens with most drumlines.

• Members

Marching percussion requires a lot more than just "dead on drills". There is a HUGE necessity for groove and finesse, especially once you get to higher level drumlines. I don't understand why you believe it only prepares you for "tasteless applications of diddly funk and metal" when it does so much more than that. Some of the best jazz drummers I've ever met were hardcore into marching. And just because I play snare, it doesn't mean that I don't have a lot of experience with concert and symphonic percussion. You are making huge generalizations that are entirely based on nothing. It seems to me like you judge all marching guys from the movie Drumline with Nick Cannon, when drumlines like that (although they do exist) are in the VAST minority of what actually happens with most drumlines.

I would like to chime in and say that I played a few four-mallet pieces pretty well back in my day.

Archived