Anyone ever tell a drummer "no"...

cdawg

• Members

got stuck letting someone use my kit the other night. it isn't a high quality kit, so no biggie, right? just the whole point of it. i wasn't told by one of my band mates that my kit was to be used by an openning act (wow, how'd he leave that out??!!) so, when i got there, the sound guy wanted me to set up right away. when i asked why, he said, rather sheepishly, "you know they're using your kit, right?"

well, i wasn't about to be a big d*ck, plus the other drummer ended up being pretty cool and a light hitter, but have you guys ever flat-out said, "no?"

and did that put an end to the gig for that band?

• Members

I sure have said no.

I try not to be a huge dick about it, but if there's another kit around, buddy get on it. Maybe the other guy isn't a huge asshole like me.

they're the dicks for assuming its ok to use your {censored}, or your guitarman is the asshole for not checking.

• Members

I sure have said no.

I try not to be a huge dick about it, but if there's another kit around, buddy get on it. Maybe the other guy isn't a huge asshole like me.

they're the dicks for assuming its ok to use your {censored}, or your
guitarman is the asshole for not checking

f**kin' a, +1.

the whole deal was kinda crappy to begin with. we found out the day before that it was going to be a benefit. so, no pay. oh, well. then, we had to be there at 9 even tho we weren't going on til 12. why? oh, well i guess i found that out. the sad part is that the other band knew nothing of it, so i didn't feel i could be a d*ck about it.

• Members

like i said, the drummer was told i was ok with it, so he didn't know. i was in the dark about it. my bass player is the one who set the gig up. i guess he felt it was ok to speak for me. he spent the night avoiding me, and i drank all of his beer onstage. so, there, mr. bassplayer. we're not done, yet, however. he'll hear from me next prac.

• Members

I always let bands i know play my kit, but I had a guy use mine last week and it seemed like it was gonna be ok..then he's like "oh I play open handed...need the ride cymbal on the left..yada yada yada". I HATE that {censored}. I don't mind if you play my kit, but when you start reconfiguring the mother {censored}er and sliding my memory locks around...{censored}. that pisses me off. :mad:

• Members

yeah, he moved stuff around a bit, but i didn't mind. i've been moving things around lately, so i'm not totally set, anyway. i ended up with a really comfy set-up and a good gig. i had to explain to him how to use my HH clutch, tho, which i didn't get. it's not that complex, just a push-and-turn kinda thing. made me chuckle.

• Members

Tell 'em you want to learn a cover of "Roundabout". That should get his attention.

oh, that wouldn't work with this guy! he's pretty fluent with the rush catalog, so he's one hell of a player! i'll just phone ahead the next gig and tell the bass player/s not to bring anything.

• Members

I have not said no buttttttt...I have said "OK sure you can use the kit, but don't turn anything around (I'm left handed you know), don't tune the kit (they have been tuned EQ'd and adjusted for the PA), don't change any stand positions (I don't have memory locks), don't change any of the mic positions (we don't want PA issues)...you'll use your own pedal, snare drum and cymbals. But yeah, you can use them, or I'll help you set up yours...":facepalm:

• Members

oh, that wouldn't work with this guy! he's pretty fluent with the
rush
catalog, so he's one hell of a player! i'll just phone ahead the next gig and tell the bass player/s not to bring
anything

Tell him he's using the other bass player's gear at the next show... and that guy plays an upright.

• Members

I learned loooong ago to handle the details before the show. If I have not been consulted about or agreed to allow another drummer to use my kit, it's not happening. If that means they don't play, they don't play. My band mates know better than to make commitments for me without my consent, just like I do them. It's a matter of respect.

• Members

I learned loooong ago to handle the details before the show. If I have not been consulted about or agreed to allow another drummer to use my kit, it's not happening. If that means they don't play, they don't play. My band mates know better than to make commitments for me without my consent, just like I do them. It's a matter of respect.

good call. i guess people look at their gear differently. these guys play other stuff all the time (out of laziness, usually.) and i've played a few other drums, but i'd rather play my own (who wouldn't.) i'm not lazy, i don't care about bringing my kit, setting up/tearing down, etc. like i said, my kit isn't a doozy, but it is mine. i bought it, and i treat it differently than someone else would.

• Members

in most cases no.......Ive posted this before, but ive showed up for jobs and the promoter has volunteered my drums so another group could play. It turned out ok for the most part, but I was pissed the rest of the day. Bad thing is if you don't let them you end up looking like the dick. Its like someone you don,t know asking to take your girlfriend for a ride. What nerve. Im o.k. the older I get with the people I know set in, but I have had a couple of bad experiences.

• Members

I don't have a problem with saying no. I play metal, so I'm not going to let someone I don't know use my kit or cymbals, just to be a cool guy. If they forget something, that's why you have an idiot check list prior to leaving to make sure you have all your stuff. I might let someone I know use my kit, but they aren't adjusting anything, and have to figure out how to play that hats, b/c I play open handed and the hats are low.

• Members

I remember letting other drummers use my risers but not my drums. I played in a YES copy band, had a 8x8 2 ft high riser with a 7 ft circular gong stand mounted to the back (30 inch gong) with the band's name engraved on the gong stand. Warmup acts would use my riser, with a sheet over the gong stand, then my roady would set up my gear when they were done. Nobody has ever performed on my drums, being left handed, nobody ever wanted to...

• Members

The problem with this scenario is the bass player spoke for you and if you say no you look like the dick. I think we figured that out but I'm not sure anyone said it. I'd probably say yes if I was comfortable with the other drummer/band. But I'd def let everyone know that you didn't know about it but your going along, and tell your bass player that he's gonna replace anything this guy breaks.

The next rehearsal I'd let them know that you were pissed and how it affected your night. Then I'd spend as much time as possible telling them why that was such a bad idea to not tell you. Really make everyone in the band feel as bad as you felt that night and waste as much time as you possibly can doing it. That ought to get the point across.

Then if you want to be a dick, tell the bass player there's a gig at such and such a place and be there by this time. But don't actually book a gig, make him schlep all of his stuff and show up for nothing. If you can, have him drive a half our or more to get there.

• Members

ding ding ding we have a winner.

I don't mind someone else playing my kit, as long as I know about it. Bring your own cymbals, snare, pedal, and sticks, and no major moves. Everyone's been cool so far, and there's been a few different folks. Seems like most aren't new to the situation. Only one guy's been a dick.

Archived