Anyone ever tell a drummer "no"...

cdawg

• Members

Not only have I said "no", I've said "{censored} no!!" That ususally happens when I don't know the drummer or I've not been consulted prior to the gig.

I have had promoters come up to me and say "hey, we told the others they could use your kit." To which I've responded "great. . where's my rental fee? $100.00 up front, $50.00/ each band that plays my kit... also, you're gonna be personally responsible for any damage done." I guess it helps that I've been in this music scene for close to 3 decades and most everyone knows me. It also helps that most know of my Juris Doctorate and know that i mean it when I say they will be held responsible for any damage.

If'n I'm playin' one of my beater kits, no real sweat. But if it's one of the vintage luddies, it's a definate "helltodano" unless I know the drummer well.

• Members

i really like the rental approach. i think it shows that you're willing to bend some, but smart enough to say, "you're not skippin' in here with just breakables and skippin' out like some f**kin' lead singer!" there's something to be said for bustin' ass settin' up and tearin' down. i don't remember anyone ever helping me break after the gig.

Archived