Snare Wires...

cdawg

• Members

might be a can of worms, but...

Cool!

what snare wires do you prefer, and why?

Right this minute I'm diggin' the {censored} out of the Puresound 16-strand wires. The usual pluses from Puresounds (tone, quality), plus I've become a convert to using fewer strands.

what should i expect from different metals?

Dunno. What I notice is that unplated wires sound darker than plated ones.

what should i expect from different wire counts?

I've never used more than 20. I can say that using fewer strands gives you more tone from the drum and less sympathetic vibration. I'm not hot to try more than 20 for fear it would choke the bottom head too much.

how often do you change them?

Usually when I change it's because I'm trying something new, not because I think the old ones wore out.

The only problem with the Puresounds is that they cost so much. Those who like 20-strand sets should try the Pearl UltraSound. To my ears they sound identical to the Puresound 20s (maybe a smidge less loud) for a {censored}load less money.

And these links (

and
are of interest.

• Members

+1 on the Puresounds. Recently got a set and strapped 'em to the Supraphonic. They help make the drum sound more like I hear it in my head.

As for the differences in the types of metal, I've not done any experimentation, so I dunno.

The number of strands? I use 20s. Have used more on my deep ass maple Pearl Freefloater (8"x14"), but switched back to a 20 count b/c of the choke factor mentioned in the previous response.

• Members

Looking forward to more responses here too. just got my Pures the other day from LFG's friend, haven't done anything with them yet. Got my Acro this week & pick up my Supra on Sunday. What I'm wondering about specifically is what will do the Yama maple TC justice & give it a different warmer and distinctive tone vs the rest of my arsenal.

• Members

I use Fat Cat wires. The are a lot like PureSound. They last a lot longer than stock or Gibraltar wires, and they sound much better.

A little bit of a dry tone.

I use 20 strands for the most part, but on my new 14 x 7 maple snare I use 30's. Little extra snare sound to balance the tone of the shell.

I change them as soon as they start to stretch out a little. I never let them go to a point were they break.

• Members

Had PS blasters on the Chad Smith I sold, and I can tell you it was a HUGE difference over the stock. The wires were louder, darker, and more crunch, added more crunchiness to the ghost notes, that and using super thin snare side head. I hardly ever play anywhere miced, so needed to get that crunch and sizzle out there to the people watching, instead of just POP. They worked very well and worth every penny. If I get the chance in the budget soon, I plan on putting them on the Acro as well. But like other have said, got more important things to do right now.

• Members

...added more crunchiness to the
ghost notes
, that and using super thin snare side head...

ok, glad you brought that up. i'm playin' a premier 7x12 as my main, and it's beech and eucalyptus. i noticed the last time i changed the heads that the shell is pretty flexible, so it's a soft wood combo, but i digress.

i noticed now it has lost some of it's ghost note "pick-up" due to the change in batter head and tuning (lower.) i love the new fatness of the snare, but i wonder if i could tighten up the sound and gain some sensitivity with different wires. currently running 16 wire stock.

edit: changed batter from tight ambass to looser vintage A.

• Members

Being an avid e-kit user, I don't have much use for snare wires.

At church I play a house kit where the owner has wrapped the strainer and throw-off in pink duct tape. This is especially helpful when the bass and/or keys are playing and I am not. Sympathetic vibration is RIDICULOUS. I don't want to mess with someone's kit, but this is annoying. Maybe I should just fix the throw-off? (I assume it is broken, hence the duct tape).

• Members

I went from a pearl 16 strand on my masters to a 16 strand puresound and to be honest could not tell a lot of difference. I would like to know what the use is for the snare "bed" mockups ive seen on some that cover the wires underneath.......is it just for sympathetic buzz or is there more to them than that?

• Members

I must say, that after using the puresounds for 3 weeks (20 strand) that I am actually missing the sound of the 42 stranders that I had on before. I kind of liked the "wider" sound that they gave. And now it seems like I have to hit the drum harder to get the same volume. Who knows? I might put the 42 back on (they were in great shape, just wanted to experiment) the Supra 6.5" and try the puresounds on the coliseum that I just bought. I just tried out the pearl ultrasounds on the coliseum and they are pretty good for the money. Not many bad wires out there these days.

Archived