Thinking of getting a high end kit

lalapancakes

• Members

Well a kit that is atleast 2k dollars. I inherited a lot of money from my grandma for some reason that I don't understand but I'm extremely thankful for it. She said it was for me to get a new car but I already have a car so I guess now I'm thinking of spending some of it on a new drum kit then investing the rest of it into my mutual fund.

I've been playing for about 8 years now and I've had my PDP CX series maple drum kit for about 6 years now. I'm also definately lacking in symbols.

Here are my cymbols

1 Sabian B8 hi hat

1 Sabian B8 ride

1 Sabian B8 crash (I originally had 2 but one of my completely cracked and is now destroyed)

1 Sabian AA china cymbol

Yeah my cymbols are extremely low end. The only cymbol that I actually think is decent is my china cymbol.

I play my drums for atleast an hour a day everyday. If I have time to play more I play more but now I'm in college so I have more work then I did back in highschool. I'm thinking of getting into a music college and my drum teacher thinks I could get into one. So atleast in my humble opinion I think buying an expensive kit and cymbols is not a waste of money because it is an important part of my life, it isn't just a hobby to me.

But I would like to know your guys opinion. Do you think I should get a kit or wait a little bit longer before I get one?

I mean my kit is okay but honestly I just feel like I'd have way more fun on a high end kit. I remember when I first went drum shopping, I remember playing on a DW kit and I was absolutely amazed at how beautiful the sound of the kit was. I also remember when I first got my kit I thought it was the best thing in the world, now 6 years later I find my kit kind of boring to be honest. Maybe I'm just being a spoiled brat or maybe it really is time for me to get a high end drum kit.

Also do you guys have an suggestions for a good high end drum kit? Or a company that you really do like?

Honestly I've played a lot of DW kits and I really like them a lot but my local Guitar center has a very small drum section sadly so I haven't played many other high end drum kits besides DW's.

• Members

sorry, but first off ... "cymbals." please.

that said - unless a kit is complete garbage; all it takes to make it sound good is heads and tuning. you don't need a $2k+ kit to have great sounding drums. so really, i'd recommend better cymbals (just about anything is going to sound better than b8s, imho - me? i play paiste signatures; as far as i'm concerned, they're the best sounding cymbals there are) and a better pedal. i feel like you certainly get your money's worth when it comes to that stuff.

but since you're asking, i love ayotte drums.

• Members

that said - unless a kit is complete garbage; all it takes to make it sound good is heads and tuning. you don't need a $2k+ kit to have great sounding drums. so really, i'd recommend better cymbals (just about anything is going to sound better than b8s, imho - me? i play paiste signatures; as far as i'm concerned, they're the best sounding cymbals there are) and a better pedal. i feel like you certainly get your money's worth when it comes to that stuff.

Oh wow that is extremely embarrassing I didn't even notice how I spelled cymbol completely wrong :lol:

Yeah I have a good pedal. Iron cobra double pedal.........though I kinda regret getting a double pedal since I don't even play metal anymore.

What heads do you recommend? I have Evans genera g2 coated. By the way I like playing Rush and proggressive rock a lot and jazz. Also what do you reccommend for a bass head. I still have my head that I first got with my bass drum. It's just a pacific head, I'm pretty sure it's crappy if it's stock. Though I like my bass, but I bet I could make it sound even better with a better head.

Also on just a curious note, why do people buy expensive drums then?

• Members

so you have pacifics? those aren't bad at all, man! and an iron cobra is a fine pedal. not my choice for this reason or that, but still a great pedal.

i've recently moved from aquarian heads back to evans; purely because of availability. locally here in hollywood, all the shops have totally {censored} selections of aquarians and i could never find what i wanted. so - back to evans.

on my kick drum, i have an eq3 on the batter side and an unported eq1 coated on the resonant side. gives a killer attack and resonance. really diggin this setup. even the guitar player commented on how rad it sounds. but, i like a good bonham-esque BOOM, so YMMV.

on my toms, i'm using ec1 clears. used to go coated, but they dry my toms out a bit more than i want for my current gig.

if you're still using the stock heads on your kick, you'll definitely hear an improvement putting better heads on. for sure.

keep those drums, get better heads (and get really into tuning them) and some better cymbals. imho, totally a better route to go than a new kit.

• Members

Good advice there. What is it about your current drums that are boring? Can you maybe bring your drums to your drum teacher and have him help you tune them? You mentioned that you like Neil Peart, here is an web site about him and all his sets and heads etc. Is mind numbing all the different stuff he has gone through, you will notice though if you find the time to read it all the way through that he used an old $60 Slingerland snare for much of Rush's years. http://www.andrewolson.com/Neil_Peart/neil_drumkits.htm

I think work with the drums you have and try different heads, maybe try some of the heads Peart uses if you like the sound. YES, also shop around and get better cymbals. I mean research on line, drive around and spend a day at the stores for cymbals and drum heads. We can mention brands all day long but the biggest thing will be how the drums and cymbals sound to you! Don't get caught up in brand names.

On a personal side note: be sure to leave enough money around to save if your car crashes, for your schooling and emergencies. If you really want to go to music school, GO for IT! but also be aware that even graduating with a music degree does not always equal a job. Just saying that for every decent paid musician is 50 other starving ones.

No you're not a spoiled brat, just don't waste money on stuff that's not needed. WHat are you going to school for now?? How can you inheiret money now and your grandma is around for you to tell you how to spend it?

Bottom line: Shop for new heads (bottom heads as well) and work on tuning, research, shop, test drive and try out different cymbals. Great cymbals will open up your playing a big deal, to hear the cymbal sound you hear in your mind with your current good drums will inspire you more than ever. Go see some live bands, have someone play your set and listen to it out front and down the hallway. You have a big, months long homework assignment in finding what drum sound YOU like and want from your drums. As always, can come back here and ask " I'm looking for this drums sound or what is this drum or cymbal called?"

I wish you the best of luck and keep working on it. Also keep up with your studies and don't blow money just because you can if you want to know my advice. Hope this helps!:thu:

• Members

As others have said cymbals will make a huge difference in your perceptions about your sound.

But I also do understand the desire to get a really nice kit. Mid range maple kits are nice and all but there can be something just awe inspiring about some really kick ass kits. You'll do well with high end from any company so maybe do you're homework about what sound you might like but for me it always start and ends with sonor.

• Members

twosticks posts a great post. totally agree with all he said. and soundcreation and i always seem to be on the same page. good cymbals change so much. moreso than any other instrument, i find you really, really do get what you pay for when it comes to cymbals. they're a peculiar instrument.

• Members

Well a kit that is atleast 2k dollars. I inherited a lot of money from my grandma for some reason that I don't understand but I'm extremely thankful for it. She said it was for me to get a new car but I already have a car so I guess now I'm thinking of spending some of it on a new drum kit then investing the rest of it into my mutual fund.

I've been playing for about 8 years now and I've had my PDP CX series maple drum kit for about 6 years now. I'm also definately lacking in symbols.

Here are my cymbols

1 Sabian B8 hi hat

1 Sabian B8 ride

1 Sabian B8 crash (I originally had 2 but one of my completely cracked and is now destroyed)

1 Sabian AA china cymbol

Yeah my cymbols are extremely low end. The only cymbol that I actually think is decent is my china cymbol.

I play my drums for atleast an hour a day everyday. If I have time to play more I play more but now I'm in college so I have more work then I did back in highschool. I'm thinking of getting into a music college and my drum teacher thinks I could get into one. So atleast in my humble opinion I think buying an expensive kit and cymbols is not a waste of money because it is an important part of my life, it isn't just a hobby to me.

But I would like to know your guys opinion. Do you think I should get a kit or wait a little bit longer before I get one?

I mean my kit is okay but honestly I just feel like I'd have way more fun on a high end kit. I remember when I first went drum shopping, I remember playing on a DW kit and I was absolutely amazed at how beautiful the sound of the kit was. I also remember when I first got my kit I thought it was the best thing in the world, now 6 years later I find my kit kind of boring to be honest. Maybe I'm just being a spoiled brat or maybe it really is time for me to get a high end drum kit.

Also do you guys have an suggestions for a good high end drum kit? Or a company that you really do like?

Honestly I've played a lot of DW kits and I really like them a lot but my local Guitar center has a very small drum section sadly so I haven't played many other high end drum kits besides DW's.

Yo, I think there's a point where you should or need to upgrade to a better set (cheap {censored}ty drums to intermediate drums) but once you reach that level there isn't really a "need" to go from an intermediate set to a high end set. It's all a matter of preference because I doubt your band members or music teachers will mind that you're playing a CX (very solid set). But I get how you could feel uninspired at the same set for 6 years so if that's the case then go right ahead!

Oh and definitely upgrade the cymbals, a B8 cymbal isn't a cymbal, you have to get something made out of B20 at least

• Members

I can only reinforce what the others have said mate. Get new cymbals and heads.

You will be amazed at how different the CX will sound.

If you still want to spend $$ on a kit after that, then you already have the cymbals to go with it and they should last you a lifetime, and you have a nice sounding CX with new heads to put up on ebay.

Not much to loose, but everything to gain this way, JMO.

Have fun choosing cymbals.:)

• Members

Yes, like everybody else has said..

No need to really upgrade the kit unless you just "want" to.. Some new heads all around, and jump on eBay and CL and find some "good" high end cymbals. If your stands are single braced, maybe upgrade the hardware to double braced, maybe a nice throne with backrest and cup holders :)

Maybe find some wrap, and wrap them, make 'em look new again..

Your pedal sounds nice, just because you have a double doesn't mean you have to use both pieces, I have a pearl double, and only use half of it, leave the other half on the shelf as back up.

• Members

You...you...you putting down my CX's...my CXs....you...you...bad mouthing my CX's...c'mon...lets step outside...I'll show you what a CX sounds like...va spachima...(how do you like my DeNiro impression...:facepalm:

There is definitely nothing wrong with a CX kit. Take a look at my Drum Jam video and you'll hear them live in the open. Your cymbals are a little week but weak is in the eyes of the beholder. You really use your ears to pick out cymbals ands not just brands. You go to a larger store, sit down with a kazillion and start the process of finding YOUR sound...the ones that make you go ahhhhhh. That's when you know you got a good cymbal. It's not the amount of money or the name...it's the sound.

And by the way, JMO, if you're not a gigging regular drummer, I don't know whether you need to blow 2K. In this day and age...save some bread...stuff happens and you never know when you may actually NEED something else...:thu: Call it the old fart save it for a rainy day mentality...:facepalm:

• Members

You...you...you putting down my CX's...my CXs....you...you...bad mouthing my CX's...c'mon...lets step outside...I'll show you what a CX sounds like...va spachima...(how do you like my DeNiro impression...
:facepalm:

There is definitely nothing wrong with a CX kit. Take a look at my Drum Jam video and you'll hear them live in the open. Your cymbals are a little week but weak is in the eyes of the beholder. You really use your ears to pick out cymbals ands not just brands. You go to a larger store, sit down with a kazillion and start the process of finding YOUR sound...the ones that make you go ahhhhhh. That's when you know you got a good cymbal. It's not the amount of money or the name...it's the sound.

And by the way, JMO, if you're not a gigging regular drummer, I don't know whether you need to blow 2K. In this day and age...save some bread...stuff happens and you never know when you may actually NEED something else...
:thu:
Call it the old fart save it for a rainy day mentality...
:facepalm:

Haha, in this day and age, the money might be worth considerably less tomorrow. :facepalm:

But 2k isn't necessary to sound good, I found a good kit I'd like to use for $750, and that was new.

• Members

I agree with the cymbals.I started with B8s and worked my way up to Sabian AA xplosions. I really like the sound of them but the Paiste sigs would really kick some butt,if you want to spend that much on cymbals,they aren't cheap but very good cymbals.

But only your ears can tell you what to buy.

I use a cheap Pearl entry level kit,I replaced the heads recently and was shocked at how much of a difference it made.But now that I have to use mutes,the sound isn't as great.

I use Evans EC2 clears on the toms I think that is what they are,an Evans Genra HD Dry on the snare and Superkick II on the bass.Really digging the Superkick and it made my bass drum really come to life.

I'm looking to upgrade my kit soon,but only going with a mid level one since I don't have a lot to spend and since I have all the cymbals I want and the hardware and a nice snare,the shell kit is the only thing I am lacking.

But new cymbals will help your kit a lot and may even change your mind about wanting to buy a new one.I'd give it a shot.

• Members

One more vote for the new cymbals, new heads route.

But if you really just have to have a new high end kit, here's something to think about:

I've come to realize that the two dw kits I have (one wrapped, one oiled) are best for mic'd situations. When you are on the stage with them, they sound great, as you discovered. But I've heard recordings of them un-mic'd, and from the audience, they sound rather "blah". I've also been in the audience when a friend of mine (who also plays a dw) was gigging, and his kit also sounded "blah" because it wasn't mic'd. Of course, when mic'd through a decent sound system, they sound just as good out in the audience as they do on the stage.

On the other hand, my little Yamaha Rydeen kit sounds great both on stage and off when un-mic'd.

Bottom line, you may want to audition several brands before making a decision. Have the drum shop dude play them while you stand 40 feet away.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE my dw's, but I've come to realize they are "purpose-built" for high-end gigging - situations where you're gonna have the kit mic'd up and running through a good PA.

just my opinion.

• Members

i don't know...dw...i'll put the pdps up there. I've had Tama's & Ludwigs and these project more round tone. And my kit was unmic'ed on my video and they came across pretty well I think...it's all in the tuning and the heads I think. Now my maples aren't as punch as the birch, but they still get out there when needed...

• Members

there's always stories of granny sellin' that old ludwig kit for $25.

I have been combing the GILF forums for her...no luck

eh, I say get whatever you like - new kit, cymbals whatever.... just spend wisely, when is the next time you will be able to spend a wad on THE kit that you may have the rest of your life?

• Members

Slap some new heads on those CX's and they should sound nice, they are maple...

Deff grab new Cymbals.

A friend of mine was in this band a few years ago, and when they recorded an album it sounded amazing, except the cymbals!!!

The drummer played had a $3000 DW kit and ZBT's....

The drums were killer, and I could hear that cheep-ass brass from a mile away!!!

Step up from the B8 world and get something nice.

• Members

You didn't mention what you're sitting on, but you might put a little cash aside for a sturdy throne. It will make all the difference. I have the Gibraltar bicycle seat throne with the backrest. I shudder to think of doing a four-hour gig without it.

• Members

You guys surprise me with all the anti B8 talk -- the Paiste police will be all over that any minute.

Although I totally agree. :thu:

I'm not a fan of Pacific drums (although haven't played the Platinums I admit) so I would be looking for a nice Ludwig Classic Maple or Tama Starclassic if I were you. You can get a LOT of kit for even $1k if you go used (and avoid the retail depreciation) and have lots leftover to spend on cymbals.

Archived