Talk kick pedals with me

xtranoise

• Members

I use a DW 7000 double chain single pedal at home and on gigs. At church I use a single chain Yamaha single pedal that goes with their Yamaha electonic kit.

While practicing some over the weekend I tried to be aware of my technique. It seems I usually play heel up, unless playing something very soft then I notice I rest my heel on the heel plate. I am not one to dig the beater into the head and leave it, I always allow the beater to return. My foot position seems to place the ball of my foot about mid way on the length of footboard. I do not mess with the church's pedal but tweak mine regularly trying to find the sweet spot, I still have not found it. I was wondering how a longboard might feel or match to how I play. I try different pedals at GC regularly to get a feel for different models, drive linkage and different tunings. I know pedals are a very subjective choice, I'm more interested in your playing technique and thoughts on longboards versus two piece. I'm still trying to decide if I want to explore double pedals.

• Members

I've never adjusted a pedal I've ever owned/used. Outta the box, onto the drum and go.

I'm of the opinion that it's not the pedal or the head or the stick or the drum.. .it's the drummer. I could have a porche targa tricked to the tits, but if'n I can't drive a stick, it's just a pretty piece of metal.

I'm not poo-pooin' on you search. I'm just sayin'. . .take some time/put in the work w/ what ya got thus far. Find a setting and stick w/ it for a while. Build your chops before you get a new axe w/ which to chop.

and, I use a pearl eliminator. Ball of the foot usually on the upper third of the pedalboard. Heel up most always. Have never tried a long board, but I hear people rave about 'em.

• Members

I play on Iron Cobras, and I keep them a little looser than most probably, but that's just the way I've always liked all my pedals. I had a real slow peace of {censored} pedal for a long time and I had to keep it as loose as it would go to get any speed out of it. I guess I got used to it that way. I tighten up more on the left foot thought to get more strength in it.

• Members

Quick history: I've played DW all my drumming life until very recently. I've had the DW5000, DW5000 Delta doublechain, DW9000 but now Im playing the Trick Pro 1 V Bigfoot - which is the longboard version of the Trick Pro 1 V. I loved all my DW pedals, and I use to be the guy that "plays them out of the box" - never adjusted them. Since then, I've changed my tune and wanted a pedal that I could adjust everything....I wanted to maximize the efficiency of my feet. I LOVE the Trick...it's a great well-built pedal and it is doing what I wanted it to do...but to your question....

Some of the longboards advantages are...

1. if you have big feet, there is more surface area for your foot to be on the pedalboard.

2. Heel-Toe players tend to like these pedals, again, more room to do the movement with the foot on the pedalboard.

3. Some guys like to put there foot way back on the pedalboard where their heel is on the floor, maybe for more power or to use momentum from the spring action and weight of the beaters...longboards don't have a heel plate to get in the way if you like to do that.

I got the longboards for NONE of the above reasons......lol well, I shouldn't say that...sometimes I like the slide the ball of my foot below the middle of the pedal if I'm doing the dugadugadugaduga 16th note-thing. But I mainly wanted the longboards so I have more surface area to put my foot anywhere I needed. I don't have a huge foot (size 11) and I shuffle my heal right to left for my doubles (instead of heal-toe).

The longboard should work fine based on your description of your playing technique (which you really didn't say a lot)...except if you play heal down. the longboard is not going to be the best for that. I am probably the guy that didn't really NEED a longboard, but I WANTED one. And I'm glad I got it, it is working very well for me. I am learning a lot about my technique as I keep adjusting the throw, the spring tension, the height of the pedalboard etc etc I am very very close in getting the perfect setting. Right now, I am {censored}ing around with the spring tension...I thought initially that I like it loose, but when I was playing a 16th thing, the beater(s) were hitting the head before I wanted them too...the spring was too loose. I tend to have heavy legs/feet and need to compensate for that. I also like a (longer) throw and not too close to the head. With the Trick, I can adjust it wherever I want it to get the power I need and like.

Our own resident DarkSlide is a great guy on pedals and the adjustabilty of them. He plays heel-toe and is an expert on that topic. Maybe he'll chime in on this stuff, very informative.

Hope this helps a little. Good luck!

Archived