My 11 Year Old Wants Drums

valentsgrif

• Members

I can dig that the generic Best Buy kits are crap, but 99% of online reviews have the Pearl Forum as a good starter set. Whats so {censored}ed about this kit?

I'm in Long Island NY, but travel to Philly once a month (mom lives there).

Years ago Pearl's entry level set was the Export, it had cheaper wood shells (Poplar) but it had decent wraps (the finish), decent lugs and tom mounts, Pedals and stands could weather tearing down and setting back up. New they were about $500-700 and used are about $250-500, depending on condition and add ons. The Exports were a no frills line, but the shells had a good tone to them and could be made even better with newer heads and tuning. Like all things, Exports were made with the student drummer in mind that wanted, a decent starter kit with pro like features, that wasn't a toy but was at a price the normal high schooler could afford.

I can't remember if Pearl discountined the Exports and then started the Forums later on or it they replaced them with the Forums. the Forums have cheaper lugs, mounts, stands. The wraps look a whole lot cheaper and the sets just don't have the craftsmanship even the Exports had. I think they may even use Poplar wood still but it must a cheaper grade because Forums don't have as good as tone. My guess is that many of those online commenters are either parents that bought them for their kids or kids that bought them with their summer job money and are just happy they are Pearl drums?

In a nutshell, if the Exports were close to a Mexican made Strat or Squire, the Forums are closer to a high end Sears or Best Buy Guitar. They are cheaper because they're made cheaper with cheaper products. Go to a music store where they have a Forum set along with others and you can see it. Plus are entry level sets from other makers that are so much better.

Main thing is you and 11 yr old need to decide if he's in for the long haul or not?? I started out on a cheap Export copy set (see Stencil kit link) in high school, I added new heads, a different snare, stands, pedals, better cymbals and did okay and set sounded "okay". Can usually find better equipment at better $ by going used.

I will second the fact that cheap drums can have new heads and tuned well and sound good or very decent, Cheap cymbals will always sound cheap. Is way better to get higher end cymbals used than to buy cheaper brand name entry cymbals at new prices, Hope this helps and sorry so long. Everybody here is trying to help, please ask us any questions and show pics of what you're looking at, good luck!

Archived