My 11 Year Old Wants Drums

valentsgrif

• Members

I'm probably nuts, but my guitar playing 11 year old wants to play drums now.

I'm a guitar guy too and don't know what gear to start him out on. If he's gonna go over to the dark side, I figure I don't want to spend a fortune, but I know the perils of buying cheap gear.

I got line on a used Pearl Forum series for sale ($300), and these are advertised as a good first kit.

Waddya think, ya'all?

• Members

$300 for a forum is probably the worst deal on anything, ever. The only way to make that remotely good is if you are buying a set of nice cymbals for $300, and hauling the forums to the dump for the seller.

Ok, school me on something else under $400 for kid whose serious.

• Members

Alright, here ya go...

1) Forget the Pearl Forums. Garbage.

2) Decent drums will go a LONG way...like maybe forever. So don't skimp. Cymbals are where you spend the big money for the big difference, but you can upgrade later.

3) Good starter kits that can take you all the way to gigging level:

-Pearl Export (my first recommendation to all new drummer parents)

-Yamaha Stage Custom

-PDP

Any of those 3 will last your 11 year old until he's got his own kids if you use decent heads and tune them.

4) If you have to skimp on cymbals for now, fine. Zildjian ZBTs and Sabian B8s are as low end as it gets, but they'll do the job for now. If you do happen to come across nice Zildjian A's or A Customs, Sabians or Pearl Signatures, great. If not, don't worry about it for now.

5) Craigslist is your friend. There are all kinds of people unloading kits they never use. I got a Pearl Export with throne, hi hat stand, 2 cymbal stands and a kick pedal for my nephew for $275.

• Members

Automatic pilot response (sorry): you can make modest drums sound great with good heads and tuning, but cymbals sound the way they do forever. Avoid cheap new cymbals, get some advice here, look used, and be patient if you have to. Hats, ride, crash.

• Members

I can dig that the generic Best Buy kits are crap, but 99% of online reviews have the Pearl Forum as a good starter set. Whats so {censored}ed about this kit?

I'm in Long Island NY, but travel to Philly once a month (mom lives there).

• Members

I can dig that the generic Best Buy kits are crap, but 99% of online reviews have the Pearl Forum as a good starter set. Whats so {censored}ed about this kit?

I'm in Long Island NY, but travel to Philly once a month (mom lives there).

Mostly that you can get a much better kit for what you'd spend on the Forums, and maybe even a little resale value if the kid gives up.

For just a little bit more you can have drums that would serve well in a home studio if you're so inclined. No Forums, no CB, no Pulse, no matter how many drums you'd get for the money.

• Members

ABSOLUTELY RUN!!!!

http://longisland.craigslist.org/msg/1792254672.html

If you can't get that...

This wouldn't be bad between $450 and $500

http://longisland.craigslist.org/msg/1792906661.html

Hard to tell from the pics, but this may be a 1980's Stage Series kit. I'd LOVE to have that for an 11 year old at that price.

http://longisland.craigslist.org/msg/1790611607.html

• Members

As far as the Pdp z's, that is their low end student kit and I'd bet you'll be able to tell it through not only tone, but build, hardware and everything. Spend $350.00 used on CL and you'll be MUCH happier man.

these guys just found you great deals.......................:thu:

Archived