Experimented with the recorderman micing set up... I LOVE IT

JMR

• Members

http://www.mediafire.com/?h66zzc8k19yu1y1 compressed to 320kbps MP3 ( the FLAC file is too big for uploading)

I tweaked it using the TransGainer (fine drum preset. I HIGHLY recommend this plug in.), ReapEQ (50 hz boost, cut in the high freqs) , VariSaturator (bass enhancer), and Broadcast (a good overall mastering plug in) plugins.

I then added an impulse of a highly damped large room for reverb.

My playing is kinda sloppy cause I'm tired.

let me know if there were sounds that you especially liked or disliked.

• Members

LINK FIXED

mics were Behringer C2 condensers. VERY good mics for the money. $60 a pair.

I'm still getting used to this set up, I've got to tweak it a bit and mess with the panning some more. So far, I really like how it gives such a real, roomy sound.

• Members

Kick, toms and all the cymbals sound really good man. The snare sound was kind of on and off for me but, that may purely be a matter of just personal preference. I dug it though.

Interesting to know about the C2 condensers, as a rule of thumb I usually keep far away from Behringer but, these do sound good for the price. Found some C4s for about the equivalent. Also "found" that Transgainer plug-in, will give that a go some time - one can never have enough plug-ins to play with!

• Members

I just put a new snare head on, so that's probably why it sounds off. It still needs some time to settle in and I need to fine tune it.

I didn't exactly "pay" for the transgainer....

But I might pay for it sometime soon because I use it so much. It's so easy to adjust drum sounds with it.

• Members

Voxengo seems pretty decent, I have another plug-in of theirs that was free and legit (well, I believe so at least since it doesn't require a key like the Transgainer). Going to have to give it a try on a drum test myself.

[Edit] I had forgotten the initial reason in which I clicked on this thread and hit response until now. I've seen vids and heard samples of the Recorderman mic set-up before and, was for some reason always quite surprised at how efficient it seemed to be. Glad to see it works well for yet another person, I wish I had known about it back when I use to use six mics on my old kit - don't have four mics any more so, I've yet to put this method to test myself.

• Members

Has that live in the studio sound. Liked the ride tom. Then the cymbals, floor, kick, and snare last and not at all. The snare just had no life - air neither. Prolly though, if you tweak that you'll lose the natural cymbal sound to shimmering sibilance. Be interesting to hear a tune done this way.

• Members

Yep, I've since adjusted the snare drum. Tuned it up a bit and evened it out. Sounds much better. I've put the mic a little bit off center.

I need to change the heads on my bass drum to get more umph, but with some eq adjustment, it's working better now.

• Members

I think you'll always find the kick drum lacking with the Recorderman, or with most any minimalist overhead miking scheme. We're so used to the bass drum being loud and punchy that it needs reinforcement.

Recorderman + kick + snare miking is a really good setup.

• Members

I always thought John Glyn and Recorderman were pretty much the same thing.

FWIW, my favorite setup was a pair of Studio Projects C4 overheads in Recorderman, a Rode NT2 about a foot away from the side of the snare drum pointed right at the shell, and a D112 just on the outside of the kick drum peeking in. And if you would have given me three NT2's, it would have sounded even better...super warm and fat tones that mellow the overheads just a bit, snare drum had a lot of punch and detail, and the kick drum was plenty punchy and modern.

Archived