recording genista kit, does this sound ok?

chesley

• Members

Hey guys,

I've been working on my recording technique with my old Premier Genista kit and I'm starting to feel like I'm get reasonable sound out of them. Will you guys have a listen and let me know what you think? I'd post this in the recording forum but I'd rather have the opinions of what my fellow drummers think, as we know how we like to hear a kit.

many thank yous...

• Members

PrODGJz5ZXs

chesley, you're likely right about bringing the OHs up a bit, can't really hear the hats pedal work. I pesonally thought the toms sounded fine and, it's probably just me but, I thought the snare could have used a bit more life on the harder hits - maybe that's just how that snare is suppose to sound though?

• Members

playing is great, first off. here's my perspective on the sound (and my audio setup is a pair of m-audio studio monitors out of an apogee duet) and this is being extremely picky, mind you ...

i think the kick isn't present enough in the mix. i could barely hear it but i dunno what you're planning on recording so that may be what you're going for. i didn't hear the sustain from the toms i tend to like and i, personally, would tune them a bit higher. your floor (14?) just was kind of a thud.

but that's just me.

overall, very nice though.

• Members

All around great: toms pretty thudy, cardboard box, like no resos and just all batter heads? Bass drum buried in the mix. Snare sounds like you're playing with the snares thrown off. I hear the hats "chicking" away. Why does your hat stand move around so much? If you're wanting nice level background drums than you have a good sound. Could bring out a little more "brightness" in some spots to have more of a "live" sound. Hope this helps!

ever thought of a room ambo mic? or a mic to catch the lower half of the set and mix it in??

Archived