China question

bengerm77

• Members

What is the difference between the bells that a china can have?

Let me rephrase that with pictures.

What's the difference between this bell?

2002_Novo_China18_at-1f08fe536455e908810

And this style bell?

paiste-2002-china-cymbals-80-p.gif

There's a difference. Why would one choose a traditional (I'm guessing) china bell over a more crash-looking bell? What impacts does it have on the sound, decay, or general strength of the cymbal.

I'm china shopping.

• Members

In addition the Novo china will have a different sound due to the inverted bell (on a typical china the bell will be going the other way in regards to the flange). With the bell going that direction it the metal is under more strain and increases the high end trashiness and makes it quicker.

With regards to the square vs round bell, It's the manufacturing process that's used to make the cymbal, and may have an affect on the sound. I don't know if it would be noticeable or not.

• Members

They both mount easiest as pictured.

well that's the way they are "suppose" to be mounted. I use that term loosely as obviously there are no rules to these things. But it was the metal crowd that put them on upside down.

The nice thing about putting them on properly is that you can ride on them. My Paiste 602 china sound AMAZING as a ride...

DSC05051.jpg

My 3000 rude, how ever, does not...

DSC05030.jpg

So I mount it like Nicko....my inspiration for buying it in the first place...

• Members

And let's not confuse chinas with pangs and swishes...

According to Wikipedia (and you know they're always right!:rolleyes:)

The swish cymbal and the pang cymbal are exotic ride cymbals originally developed as part of the collaboration between Gene Krupa and the Avedis Zildjian Company.

They have the upturned and flanged edge of a china cymbal with very small bell. The swish has a higher tone than the pang and is washier with a less pronounced ping, and this difference was accentuated as the swish was originally sold with rivets like a sizzle cymbal, while the pang was sold without rivets. However some drummers removed the rivets from the swish or added them to a pang. Typical sizes are 16 to 22 inches diameter for the swish, and 18 to 20 inches for the pang.

• Members

Also, let's not forget the all famous ... but yet forgotten in today's drumming: Swish Knocker. Normal Bell China inverted with rivets.

That is an old school cymbal typically used in jazz. But I know Keith Knudson used one in "Jesus is just alright with me" while with the Doobie Brothers (egads, I am age stamping myself!)

D

Archived