Any idea who was the first drummer to use double bass?

Bitter Dawn

• Members

Gary sumthing from the Guess Who, the guy from Canned Heat (I think) and Barry Barlowe from Jethro Tull are my first recollections of double bass in Rock. I don't recall any stellar footwork from these guys though. Ginger Baker was for sure slow at it too. The guy from Deep Purple I recall was pretty impressive. Speed King I believe it was.

• Members

Gary sumthing from the Guess Who, the guy from Canned Heat (I think) and Barry Barlowe from Jethro Tull are my first recollections of double bass in Rock. I don't recall any stellar footwork from these guys though. Ginger Baker was for sure slow at it too. The guy from Deep Purple I recall was pretty impressive. Speed King I believe it was.

Ian Paice, not quite sure if that's the right spelling. Speed King and Smoke on the Water is the reason I pretty much started drumming, haha.

I read once that Ian borrowed one of Keith Moon's bass drums for the recording of Speed King.

• Members

read somewhere bellson requested 2 kicks from his sponsor and they laughed. took some convincing. they just couldn't see how he could make the kit configure to allow 2 kicks. i think he played rogers back then, correct me if i'm wrong, then on to remo.

• Members

I watched some vids of Bellson and in at least one he does some short 16ths in a solo, it was pretty cool to see. Much respect for those old school big band guys, it seems like music back then was more about the drums unlike now a days where the drummer is just shoved in the back.

Fluke, a shame ya can't find a photo of that. A set of doubles from the 20's-30's would be pretty awesome to see.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived