Best Gift for Drummer?

pogoshoes

• Members

My girlfriend just started drumming. I want to get her some gear for xmas. She wants a cowbell,a mounted tambourine,and is digging the trashformer cymbal at the local music shop.If you could pick two of these,which would you choose? Also is there a standard size cowbell to get,or is bigger better? She wants lessons too,but doesn't like the guy who gives lessons at the local music store.

Any other gear that would be a nice addition to a drum kit? She has a five piece set.

• Members

Like all percussion, cowbells are certainly subjective. I personally prefer the medium Lp's, classic cluck sound with a short metallic ring when played with the tip. Tamborines are fun too, if you get both invest in something like a Lp mini everything rack.

What kind of kit does she own? Sometimes the best upgrade is in new heads.

• Members

One of our sponsors for the DJ&C is Rythm tech and they have great cowbell/tambourine and woodblock/tambourine combination holders and they work quite nice. And may I also add that the P4 Petrillo/Ludwig practice pad is great fro practicing anywhere...have a look...

[video=youtube;UD8_fcRxUgQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD8_fcRxUgQ

[video=youtube;lcWkXHnkLbk]

• Members

A $100 gift certificate at local music store, that way she gets what she wants and really likes you for making it happen, plus she can show you around for what she really wants and likes.

Word to the wise, drums are expensive. to really get two of those items, you're looking at around $200, cymbals are more.

Maybe might try to tell her you don't understand what she's talking about as far as drums and make a date out of taking her to different music stores and have her show what she wants, maybe play kinda dumb and ask what she likes and why or ask her "if you could have this or that, which one would you choose?" or "what does this do? why would you want this?" Is what my wife did with me when we were dating, really surprised me when stuff I was telling her I would love to have wound up under the tree or we were at the store and she said "okay let's take it up to counter, Happy birthday"

But no drummer in their right mind is ever disappointed with gift certificates from their favorite or local music store. New heads, sticks, etc or anything else they want to pick out never goes out of style! Hope this helps!

• Members

While I'm sure she would appreciate a gift certificate, that's the easy way out for you and everyone likes ACTUAL gifts, personally chosen by the giver.

That LP mini-everything rack is alright, I think the Pearl version looks better for a similar price AND comes with two sets of rods, 2 long Z rods and 2 shorter straight rods. One of those with a mounted tambourine (if you can find them, STAGG brand ones are dirt cheap at $10-15, compared to $25-30 for most others) and a cowbell and/or a LP jam block (or blast block) would fill most percussion needs on a drum set. I have an LP Black Beauty cowbell but more often use the Pearl ECB-5 cowbell, I like it's sound better and, bonus, it's cheaper and often comes with a free single stand mount package. Think even more ahead and throw in a couple business card size refrigerator magnets for internally tailoring the cowbell sound. The red jam block it a good choice for a loud low cross-stick sound or cowbell alternative sound. I ended up with the higher pitched blue one (last one at the store on a sale day). I'd like to get the purple one they now have, it has notches in it for guiro (slide-scratch) sound and is the size of the RED jam block. The Blast Block is really the compromise between a dull cowbell and a jam block sound, made with the same jam block pastic(Jenginor, WHO comes up with these STUPID product names?). The blast blocks are open like a cowbell and corresponjdingly far louder than a jam block. Mine is the smaller green one.

You don't list where you are located. I bought my Stagg mounted Tambourine at Drumworld in Pittsburgh, PA, the Pearl Peercussion holder and the ECB5 cowbell/mount set from Dales Drum Shop near Harrisburg, PA (will ship items fairly cheaply, also an eBay seller), my jam block and blast block from The Drum Shop of Struthers, Ohio, ALL GREAT people to deal with. Other stuff I've got at Sam Ash (Cleveland, Mayfield Heights) and Guitar Center (GC, also Cleveland, but also Monroeville Mall, Pittsburgh, PA). Found a so-so higher pitched generic cowbell for $10 at GC, and another at a "junk" store that also sold crappy import no-name instruments for $8. Whatever you do, save the reciepts so she can try them out and take them back if she wants a differnet item for her personal sound.

Boomerweps

• Members

While I'm sure she would appreciate a gift certificate, that's the easy way out for you and everyone likes ACTUAL gifts, personally chosen by the giver.

Whatever you do, save the reciepts so she can try them out and take them back if she wants a differnet item for her personal sound.

Boomerweps

While I whole heartily agree that gifts are extra special if it's an actual gift instead of a gift card, as a drummer, I would rather pick out my own stuff most of the time, unless it's something like sticks where my wife could take it in and say "here is exactly what I want to buy", Plus like most drummers, checking out stuff at the drum store is fun in it's self. and lastly, it's a week till Christmas and this guy may not have time to order something or remember five paragraphs of info on what to get.

Former girlfriends and my wife have gotten me drum stuff in the past and it's been great but has been some snafu's as well and it's so hard to to open a gift and act happy but yet want to return it because it's not the exact model I had my eye on. So, for me, unless it's something I already have or something I can circle in a catalog, printout on line with the exact stock number, is better off for me to be able to buy it myself or be given the money to do so.

Also that way I don't have to drive or ship something back, worry about receipts etc. I really can understand your way as well, just that it's really hard for the non drummer to know exactly what to get.

If it was something other than drum stuff, I would rather have something personally picked out from friends or family. So now when my wife wants to buy me something for my drums on her own, she buys me drum shirts, keychains, or wall art. that way she gets to pick it, I love it because I know she thought of me and is cool because it's drum stuff. Otherwise, I print out the exact model with stock number and all if I really want an actual drum part.

• Members

Sticks...you're doin it wrong. I send my family direct links to stuff I'm interested in. If they don't purchase it there, I tell them to write down the exact model, sku number and manufacturer. They haven't misfired yet!

As the student soaks it in from the master..."Ah thank you wise one!" Now I See!

• Members

Well this thread better explains the drum pedal thread.

Good gifts for a new drummer would include: A good throne, metronome, drum dvd, cymbal(s) (One can't have too many), new snare.

Good throne, yes! my throne is decent and it works, but isn't really adjustable and wobbles alot, as the guys who played on my kit at drum jam would remember.

Archived