I did a bad bad thing...

DantheDrummer

• Members

if your a hardcore pearl guy...or girl...

Today, I got out my sets, changed around some hardware and now have my 2003 exports mounted on L-rods, tama style. They are much easier to position and fine tune to exactly where I want them.

I know, its a pearl tragedy but... at least they look good with all new heads and a auick shine on em'

newsetup4.jpg

newsetup3.jpg

newsetup2.jpg

newsetup1.jpg

• Members

Lookin' good man :thu:

I personally like the way Tama has their tom hardware set-up, when I had my Rockstar it made it a lot easier to position the toms since they sat on the cymbal stands. Granted, my current set-up isn't bad position wise but, I do wonder if I'm losing sound or altering the sound of my bass with my toms being mounted on top of it.

• Members

I took my toms off of my bass drum (ludwig accent) and stuck the tom mount in the bass of my roto tom stand and set them up like that, then I was getting a rattle on my bd from the wing nut on the mount....so I just took it off and now theres just a hole in the top of my bass drum....sounds a heck of alot better though :thu:

looks good!

• Members

I always liked L-rods better, but also admitted that if you were patient and thoughtful, Pearl-style mounts or L-Rods could put your toms where you needed them.

After thinking about WHY I preferred L-rods, I took a look at the Pearl style mounts and figure out what I don't like about them. The problem, to me anyway, is that it's possible to swivel a Pearl mount downward to where the drum will either hit the shell of the kick drum, OR the drum will prematurely hit the vertical tube of the mount.

The PROBLEM (if it is one) is that the point of rotation on the Pearl mounts is further away from the drum itself, and also positioned near the top of the drum. On L-rods, the rotatational point is located toward the center of the drum, and is closer to the drum itself. Therefore, you can more easily swivel an L-rod mounted drum without hitting the stand, or changing the actual elevation of the drum itself.

That being said, I still say that BOTH mounts will get your drum where you want it. I just think you need to "think" more when you're using the Pearl mounts.

• Members

I took my toms off of my bass drum (ludwig accent) and stuck the tom mount in the bass of my roto tom stand and set them up like that, then I was getting a rattle on my bd from the wing nut on the mount....so I just took it off and now theres just a hole in the top of my bass drum....sounds a heck of alot better though
:thu:

looks good!

We need to form a Ludwig accent owners club... :lol:

I use the 12 in a snare stand most of the time.

• Members

whats a BC1? I was thinking of trying this setup out for a while and then, if it works, having a plate made to cover the holes with a custom design on it.

Not frequent on the Pearl forum? Pearl forum had bitched for many years about a cover for the holes after the removal of the BB3 bass drum tom mount. Many posts showed differnt plates people made and used, I used a back painted thick plastic piece and others had a Trophy Shop make up an etched brass plate. So Pearl Drums actually came up with a plate that has screw holes to match the BB3. It is in aluminum or other silvery metal (you can always paint it) and has PEARL embosed in it. I THINK BC1 is the correct part number. It's only about $6 at a lot of webstores. To repeat, this plate is ONLY a replacement for the current (past 10 years or more) BB3. Pearl Forum drums had used a different mount and it did not work for that.

Boomerweps

• Members

We need to form a Ludwig accent owners club...
:lol:
I use the 12 in a snare stand most of the time.

I actually got a new mount for my 12", I'll post pics later...I can never remember what they're called, but it's the kind that 4 of the tension rods go through

EDIT: sorry bout the thread-jack, I'll post pics in the kit picks thread

• Members

That setup reminds of the way I just set up the practice kit up. But im playin 2 up, and 2 down...10,12,14,16. fThe bass drum mount cover...ive needed one for my old kit, and found some, but I couldn,t see givin the 35-40 bucks they wanted for them. I would like to find just a simple cover for this old Pearl Kit I have. I could take the 35-40 and buy a complete new tom arm setup if I wanted to spend that much.

• Members

My bass drums (Sonor) sound the same with toms on them or off. Have you considered flying cymbals via the bass drmm mount? I've done this with both my drums as well as a friend's Pearls. I took his boom's upper section & stuck it in the left bass drum's mount, freeing up some floor space & making the crash more stable than it was on his wobbly old floor stand.

You could probably mount your ride & a crash / splash that way..

2 scents - bo

• Members

Putting a boom for your ride cymbal in the BB3 is a good use of it. I put a post mount cowbell holder in mine for a while. No hoop damage and no fussing with how & where to stand mount it. I also used a piece of tubing I cut off from a stand down through the BB3 and used a simple 2 way clamp to hold the mic clip for an internal bass drum mic. Plenty of uses of that tome holder without toms ;>)

Boomerweps

Archived