Paradiddle in german?

Shasta86

• Members

I was wondering in class today. Do you guys know if people who speak other languages have different words for rudiments? Cause that would be cool.

Paradidle?

I want to know what they call a Swiss Army Triplet in German.

• Members

I've been living in Austria for the past 11 years. Drumming vocabulary in German is basically identical to the English terms. Every German, Austrian or Swiss drummer knows what a paradiddle, flam, etc. is and uses that terminology. The only real German words that you hear that English speakers might not recognize are:

Wirbel = (drum) roll

Doppelschlag = double stroke

Triolen = triplets

Viertel = quarter notes

Achtzehntel = eight notes

Sechzehntel= sixteenth notes

Note: My drum DVDs by German-speaking drummers (Jojo Mayer, Benny Greb) have a German language audio track as well, but I don't know if the U.S. versions do. It might be interesting to see if that's the case, because then you can really hear how they refer to drumming concepts. But again, 99% the English terms are used.

• Members

I assume you're asking me (unless Thomas is actually reading this forum). I teach in a university program called Media Technology and Design, which offers some music production courses. I play some percussion outside of my daytime job, but would still consider myself an amateur drummer who mostly just does the occasional jam session.

Archived