Drum mats/rugs/carpets

irnbru83

• Members

Well, if you want to wrestle with a thick shag remnant, go ahead.

I found this a great solution, and I don't think the price is crazy, considering it's got the built in barrier for kick (if needed), is more than big enough to get enough of my kit and minimum 1 throne leg on, and when done, it folds/rolls up into a size that's small enough to easily fit in my hardware bag.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=drum+mat&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=YN8&rlz=1R1RNFA_en___US388&prmd=ivns&resnum=1&biw=1280&bih=830&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=2183158720882048702&ei=pn8wTcbxBpLpgQeEvNi7Cw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CIcBEPMCMAI#

• Members

Alright. I did see that one. I'm glad to get an endorsement from a real person (as opposed to the bots that seem to make most reviews on websites these days). So to fit all of the hi-hat legs on the mat (stability?), am I going to need to shift the kick over to the right-of-center?

• Members

I used to use a 6x6 carpet remnant with the places for my drums and stand marked with a sharpie. The guitar player thought it looked tacky so he bought me a road runner drum rug from Guitar Center.

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Road-Runner-Drum-Rug?sku=502550

It works pretty well but I had to alter my set-up slightly. I used to have my kick drum angled and the new rug has the bass drum stopper facing the front. I pretty much rotated the kit and face slightly stage left.

• Members

My only prerequisite for drum rugs is that everything fits on it, including my throne. The "drum" rugs don't work for me because the footprint of my kit is too big. You should check out HomeDepot or Wally world for the rugs that they have in the size you need. You should be able to pick one up for under $20.

• Members

I use a 3- 4 x 5 or so office type desk mat. Rubber backed and ribbed pile. Very secure grip. And yes the kick drum goes off to the side. It's not like you're required to line the rug up with anything.

I was having an unspatial moment where I couldn't work out how many feet 5' is/are.

• Members

My only prerequisite for drum rugs is that everything fits on it, including my throne. The "drum" rugs don't work for me because the footprint of my kit is too big. You should check out HomeDepot or Wally world for the rugs that they have in the size you need. You should be able to pick one up for under $20.

Ding, ding, ding!

Not that the two links posted above were very expensive but, why spend more when you don't have to? Simply going to Wal-Mart to buy a cheap rug that will cover the area of your kit, including the throne is the way to go. Their rugs may not have the rubber bottom, which is obviously useful but, once you have all your stuff on the rug it really shouldn't move due to the weight alone.

Optionally, you can get some affordable and decent looking rugs off eBay if you look long enough.

• Members

I use the industrial door mats that you see in the entrances to office buildings and stores. They don't slide, they don't hold nastiness and they work. Not very psychedelic, but effective.

Yeah, if the one i got isn't effective, this is my next tactic. Didn't realize it until about 10 minutes ago when I walked outside and saw one in the entryway. They are good.

• Members

This^ why spend a bunch of money on a special made drum rug that your bandmates are gonna spill beer on anyways?

• Members

I use a 5'x7' tapestry rug for my blues kit, (5 piece) and a 6"x8' brown woven area rug from Wally World for my Saturns. Neither have rubber backs but they don't / won't move once the weight of the lit is on it.l I wish I had a larger tapestry rug for the Saturns since they look much nicer then a plain rug IMO. But it really doesn't matter since functionality is really what I'm striving for.

• Members

+1 on the rugs at home depot, lowes, and menards. You can catch them on clearance for 12-15$$. The wife and I bought three of them just last summer for our foyer. They measuerd 5x12....most kits would fit on one of these...........Im waiting to get one specifically for my kit when they go on clearance again.

• Members

I got one of those commercially made 'drum rugs' that is actually 2 strips of carpet with some nylon straps between 'em. The advantage is that you can fold it in half where the straps are and roll it up. All rolled up, it's about the same width of a heavy duty cymbal stand and about 20" long. Pretty slick,IMHO, and a lot easier than rasslin' with a big hunk o' shag from the local carpet merchants.

Keep in mind, you only need to 'control' movement of stuff you're actually connected to the floor with....your throne, your kick drum(s) and hi-hat pedals. In that case, 4'x6' might cover it.

You can also go rugless and use rope, cable, or chains to "lock" your pedaled instruments to your throne.

Or you can buy a flying carpet and transport your kit via air.

• Members

Not that the two links posted above were very expensive but, why spend more when you don't have to?

I mentioned it and it's been repeated: portability.

You roll/fold up one of those Home Depot specials and tell me how easy it is to move around...

On second thought, don't: i've had a couple of those, and use one in my home practice spot, because it doesn't ever move.

The made for drums rug I linked to rolls/folds up into quite a small piece; folds in thirds and when all is said and done, it's not much longer than the built in bass drum anchor, and maybe takes up as much space as my throne base.

You will NOT be able to do that with any 'regular' rug.

• Members

It works pretty well but I had to alter my set-up slightly. I used to have my kick drum angled and the new rug has the bass drum stopper facing the front. I pretty much rotated the kit and face slightly stage left.

You realize you could just angle the rug first to begin with, right?

• Members

I mentioned it and it's been repeated: portability.

You roll/fold up one of those Home Depot specials and tell me how easy it is to move around...

On second thought, don't: i've had a couple of those, and use one in my home practice spot, because it doesn't ever move.

The made for drums rug I linked to rolls/folds up into quite a small piece; folds in thirds and when all is said and done, it's not much longer than the built in bass drum anchor, and maybe takes up as much space as my throne base.

You will NOT be able to do that with any 'regular' rug.

Haven't tried one of those drum made rugs but, if you can roll up one of those specialty rugs well, that's pretty impressive because, you certainly can not condense a regular rug to that small of a space - perhaps that's where it pays off.

• Members

When I first started doing the solo thing I used a large, very expensive woven Persian rug (the one in my avatar). I had 4 basses, orchestra chimes, etc. and the set had a very large floor print, but the carpet was even bigger (took 2 people to carry the carpet). I had a large drum van so transport was not a problem. I really like that carpet, made me feel good to set my drums on it.

My wife wanted to use the carpet in our family room when I wasn't playing, so I relented, and over the next couple of years it was destroyed by our 2 dogs and cat, and repeated bad attempts at cleaning it, literally started coming apart at the weaves. Lesson learned.

Now I have 2 smaller, cheaper carpets. My set has a much smaller floorprint since I have to fit it all in a small car, so the carpets available at Walmart etc. work fine. I keep one rolled up and only use it to gig, and one set up in my practice space with a small boundary around it to keep the animals away. Both are marked with tape of course, and they are both extremely easy to carry.

• Members

Home Depot or Walmart area rug, 5x8 foot or 6x8, under $20, nice color selection ;>)

I prefer the open weave jute backing of traditional carpet for the bass, bass pedal and hihat spurs to dig into.

If you fold it in half lengthways, then throw over about 1/3 of the folded carpet, THEN roll from that folded in section, it doesn't get too sloppy considering the thickness of all that material. Throw a bungee around it and it fits in fairly well. (actually it's easier to set the bungee down and roll the rolled carpet over it.) Mine last me about 6-7 years. NEVER duct tape down an edge. Mine has one edge pulling apart from tape ;>(

I have used rubber backed commercial rugs. while they roll up easier from less bulk, they are just as heavy and require the same amount of cleaning. Other than sweeping, I usually clean the drum rug once or twice a summer by throwing it over our picnic table and hosing it off to get any beer or deep down dusty funk out of it. Leaving it in the sun to dry also helps with smells.

IF you like the idea of the bass drum block on the commercially produced drum rugs, it's easy to add either A capet wrapped or just painted and foam padded block of wood to the carpet (use BIG washers and taper headed wood screws on the bottom) OR small U shapped cutouts for the bass spurs. However, I find that open weave heavy jute backing doesn't need a block of wood whenn you have decent spurs.

weps

Archived