So, my drum kit has a lot of sentimental value...

JMR

• Members

and I kinda want to get a "beater" kit. I'd kinda like to assemble it from bits and pieces of other kits and rewrap it in something.

My current kit is a Sonor Champion Acryl that used to belong to a high school. It's my first kit and my brother spent a lot of time initially restoring it, and over the years since I got it (I was 10 then, I'm 16 now) I've also put a lot of time into it. The shows I play drums for are typically crowd level, hardcore punk type stuff. Acrylic bass drums have a tendency to crack when people step, fall, etc on them. I would break down and cry if something happened to it at a show. I don't want to spend a whole set worrying about my drum set.

I still want a nice set with similar shell sizes to what I have now (22x14, 12 by 6?, and 16 x 16). I like thinner shell, like old ludwigs.

Are there any sets you can find on craigslist that are bang-for-buck? I don't want to get some pearl export or something like that. I'd love to find something that's older and I don't care if it's beat up (since I'l probably re wrap it anyway). Maybe some old mapex? If I could find some of those new Ludwig Keystone series for cheap that would work.

this is further on down the road, I've got to get a new ride cymbal.

• Members

I'd look for a beat up set of Slingerlands for a good deal on Craigslist. You should be able to find a decent set of 3-ply shells with reenforcement hoops in those sizes for for under $500. I actually bought a set (24/16/18) from a local resale shop for 50 bucks a few months ago. They look like hell but they're great. I'm a Slingerland junkie and have both nice drums and beaters. Slingerland are the coolest drums ever and can be found in the midwest pretty cheap (or expensive, depending). Back in the day, just about everybody played Slingies. From Buddy Rich to Neil Peart to Trey Cool. Great, great drums.

• Members

Yeah.

Then I actually thought about it and realized that I didn't want to do it. I wanted a kit that I wouldn't be afraid to take out.

Also, they sounded a lot better once I got new reso heads for them.

indianapolis.craigslist.org - anything good here?

Archived