new kick drum heads

JMR

• Members

Just looking for suggestions. I'm thinking a Remo PS3 or Aquarian Superkick coated as batter. Haven't ever used either, though, so I don't know how they sound. Still unsure about the resonant.

I want warmth. Not too much boing. I don't want that modern thud or click, but I still want a defined sound. I'm not a big fan of the EMAD.

• Members

I've had a SK1 and a PS3on my fiberglass kit.

SK1 was more boomy. Sounded best tuned fairly high. It had a longer sustaining note.

PS3 sounded best tuned low. More of a thud sound to it. I prefer this one over the SK1

Both had a Fibreskyn reso with a felt strip tuned high.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Just pick something and make it work.

lotta truth to this. All heads may sound different, but it's very rare that you'll pick something unusable. I still think the easiest head to make sound amazing is the superkick 2, even though it rocks a little too hard for most of what I play these days.

• Members

My primary choice, i.e., GO TO bass batter heads are the Remo PS3 or Aquarian Superkick (any). Always tune up nice and last me a long time. Might try ATTACK as I really like their snare heads and their "no overtone" bass reso.

Boomerweps

• Members

With the exception of a couple Evans heads, I think just about everyone's go-to head will either be a PS3 or superkick.

You won't get a bad sound with either one. Just go for it, and when you can afford it, get the other.

Then you'll know for sure.

Archived