Noob question, what do shell packs include?

kherman

• Members

Hey guys, I'm normally in the guitar forum.

But, my son want's to upgrade to a better drum kit.

He's just been using this 5 piece starter kit for the last few years.

He has over that time already upgraded cymbal stands, bass pedal, hi hat stand.

But, want's to upgrade the drums themselves.

He was thinking about these two packs.

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tama-Rockstar-8Piece-DoubleBass-Drum-Shell-Pack?sku=713184

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pearl-Pearl-FZ-8Piece-DoubleBass-Drum-Shell-Pack?sku=360843

Now when they say shell pack, does that mean no stands, cymbals, pedals, throne?

Or does it also mean just the wood shell itself?

No rims, rim hardware, mounts, legs, heads, etc..

Thanks,

Kent

• Members

?

Or does it also mean just the wood shell itself?

No rims, rim hardware, mounts, legs, heads, etc..

Thanks,

Kent

Your first guess is correct. All hardware for the drums themselves will be included. Some often come with cheaper heads, but you shouldn't have to buy anything extra.

• Members

Thanks, guys.

He's already using a double bass pedal on his current kit.

But, wants to switch to actual double bass.

He's played a couple of friends double bass kits and says he likes the tonal responsiveness of the seperate bass drums.

He says there just seems to be something missing with the single drum/double pedal setup.

• Members

Thanks, guys.

He's already using a double bass pedal on his current kit.

But, wants to switch to actual double bass.

He's played a couple of friends double bass kits and says he likes the tonal responsiveness of the seperate bass drums.

He says there just seems to be something missing with the single drum/double pedal setup.

Tonal responsiveness? If he is burying the beater into the head, then yes, he will experience a different feel. If he wants ot alter the pitch of one...maybe. But if he has his beaters excatly the same with the same tension and and placement, I'd be hard pressed to hear a tonal responsiveness issue...but hey what do I know. The double kick guys like Whiplash and Tyler could better inform me on this I guess. The only tonal difference I seemto hear is the beater closest to the port on my reso doesn't seem to boom as much...maybe that's what he's experiencing...

• Members

Yup, the drums themselves are fully assembled and come with floor tom legs and usually tom arms, just no pedals or stands. Often hanging "floors" come with a tom arm AND a 2 way clamp to clamp it to YOUR stand.

I concur about the Tama being a better of these lower line choices. The Tama equates to the Pearl VX/VMX series (or the old Export). This from a Pearl guy. I have a set of Pearl Sessions and Masters and have owned Tama Rockstars before that.

Boomerweps

• Members

Thanks, Boomerwreps.

He decided to go with the Tama Rockstar.

This should be fine for him for now.

Him and his friends are putting their first band together.

So, I don't think he needs to get into anything high end quite yet.

Being a guitarist, I equate it to a kid getting a LTD ec401 guitar. (solid guitar for the money)

And if the kid gets more serious down the road with gigging and recording, then get a Gibby LP Traditional or actual ESP Eclipse.

• Members

Whenever possible, I would still upgrade the heads, makes a world of difference!! On most sets except for the most high end. The heads that come with most kits are generic or utility (something to hit, hard to tune) I guess is like putting better strings on a mid line guitar?? Best if you replace the top (batter) and bottom (Resonant or Reso) heads but doing just the top and beater side bass heads will work as well.

That kit with better heads (any type of Remo, Evans or Aquarian your son prefers), tuning and the better stands, pedals and cymbals your son already has will make a world of difference! Mid line kits beefed up with all the stuff your son has will be just as close as a high end kit out there!

• Members

Tonal responsiveness? If he is burying the beater into the head, then yes, he will experience a different feel. If he wants ot alter the pitch of one...maybe. But if he has his beaters excatly the same with the same tension and and placement, I'd be hard pressed to hear a tonal responsiveness issue...but hey what do I know. The double kick guys like Whiplash and Tyler could better inform me on this I guess. The only tonal difference I seemto hear is the beater closest to the port on my reso doesn't seem to boom as much...maybe that's what he's experiencing...

The main difference is two sustaining drums. That can be considerable. The rolls obviously but - random for instance, you can go boooooooooooooooom on one drum while the other goes thump thump thump. Undouble peddleable obviously.

• Members

Last I knew, Tama Rockstars and above came with decent Evans heads and don't need replaced right away. Like Pearl supplies US made Remos with their Sessions and above kits (Pearl Protones below that, who knows who makes those). Not to be confused with the Chinese made Remo UT series supplied on Mapex (last I knew).

Boomerweps

• Members

The Rockstars are an excellent choice! I played an older Rockstar Deluxe series from about the mid 90s to 2000 when I finally upgraded. I used to put that kit up against much more expensive kits on stage and it often sounded better. That should get him quite some time!

DB

Archived