Another thread, but this one's about double kick

bengerm77

• Members

So my friend just gave me his hand-me-down pearl double kick pedal, I gave him $40 for it. I've dicked around with double kick before, but I don't really find that it has any practical applications. My style of music? Punk/Metal. Imagine, someone like myself saying that a double kick pedal has no practical application in my punk/metal sound. Anyway, I find that double kick stuff is unnecessarily flashy and doesn't add anything to the songs other than "look the drummer is doing double kick stuff!" Any interesting uses for a double kick pedal other than collecting dust in my garage while I wait for an opportunity to use it?

• Members

So my friend just gave me his hand-me-down pearl double kick pedal, I gave him $40 for it. I've dicked around with double kick before, but I don't really find that it has any practical applications. My style of music? Punk/Metal. Imagine, someone like myself saying that a double kick pedal has no practical application in my punk/metal sound. Anyway, I find that double kick stuff is unnecessarily flashy and doesn't add anything to the songs other than "look the drummer is doing double kick stuff!" Any interesting uses for a double kick pedal other than collecting dust in my garage while I wait for an opportunity to use it?

That's a typical attitude for someone that has no idea how to play double-kick. Sure, people overuse it and it sounds stupid when they do. Don't be one of those people. Get proficient with it and then you use it whenever you want. Triplets and little accents after a fill sound cool with double kicks. I play punk and hard rock. I'm never wailing away on the kicks at 700 bpm, but it's good to have the second beater sometimes.

Or do like Moon and lead with your left foot. Time your snare whacks with a left footed beater slap. Get it tight and it sounds thunderous.

• Members

it's good to have the second beater sometimes... Get it tight and it sounds thunderous.

This may be a stretch, but "That's what she said!"?

Anyhoo, after taking a wee break from the ol' double-kick licks, I've been trying to build up some speed again. Reached 280bpm on straight 16th/32nd/64th/whatever and felt pretty comfy. I'm not in it to hit 340bpm because I'm fairly certain that is beyond the range of my ankles/knees/hips. Doing a fast 3, 4, 5, 6, etc note pattern can sound seriously cool. Some dudes are good enough to rip off a series of fast triplets with one foot. I am not, hence the necessity of a second pedal.

Archived