hi-hat question...

cdawg

• Members

yeah, since this post i ran across a few reviews that said the cable breaks easily and it's sluggish, besides. i'm looking at this one:

http://www.shopatron.com/products/productdetail/part_number=DWCP9550/1845.0.1.1.65562.15531.65518.97106.0?pp=10&

but the price is f*cking killing me. do i really need to pay that kind of change to move my hat a foot and a 1/2??

anybody know about cable hats??

• Members

i can play open-- i'm ambidextrous. but i want my hat where my tom is. would free up a ton of space on the left, too.

also, keep in mind that i play big hats. when i play open, i have to keep my left elbow tighter to my ribs. pretty uncomfortable.

• Members

i can play open-- i'm ambidextrous. but i want my hat where my tom is. would free up a ton of space on the left, too.

also, keep in mind that i play big hats. when i play open, i have to keep my left elbow tighter to my ribs. pretty uncomfortable.

Keep in mind that any of those remotes have a fair amount of hardware UNDER the bottom hat; you won't be able to get that close to your kick drum with the hats because the bottom hardware will hit the shell...

I mean, probably not much of a problem for you since you're using pizza pans for hats and you won't need to get too close to the kick to begin with, but definitely something to consider.

• Members

k-- check the link mel put up. you can put that bitch right up next to the kick, and that's my intent. at one point, i moved my hat where i wanted it and used it as an x-hat. i know my set-up is possible. i'm just unsure of the product needed to achieve this.

(for instance, where you'd put a basket-mounted tom.)

• Members

Looks a bit tippy to me especially with large cymbals, but trying it out would be the true test. I wouldn't get one untried unless I could send it back if it didn't work out. I have a 2nd hi-hat on a remote stand between my first and second toms. It's mounted on an extension bar off the rack. Without the rack, I'd mount the extension bar with a clamp to the vertical bar of a tom mount.

• Members

i can't picture what you're saying. but i think you're close to what i'm thinking. i originally thought of a reg stand with a pedal on a cable. now, i'm thinking of marrying a reg stand with a slave pedal from a double pedal. (like that DW one, but with legs.) if i remove the stand's pedal and get a sprocket to mesh with the chain on the hh...

• Members

I bought one, disliked it from the start and eventually sold it. Two MAJOR (IMHO) issues:

1. It is not height adjustable unless you change the horizontal position of the hats. If you find an offset position you like, you're stuck with the height it happens to be at. If, for example, you adjust the stand so that it is perfectly straight, the hihats will be very high and you can't ajust them to make them lower. As you increase the offset, the height goes down.

2. The sharp angles made by the stand restricts the movement of the wire controlling the top hat from the pedal. The sharper the angles, the tighter the wire.

I would avoid.

EDIT: Looking again at the link, there does appear to be some additional adjustment for height so this must be a different model than the one I had. Still, I would try one out before buying.

• Members

thanks for the info. it looked interesting, but i wasn't sold, considering the price. plus, it looked kind of fragile to me.

i'm thinking of either constructing my own (still designing that,) or just selling everything i own and picking up the DW one that looks like a mix between a slave double bass pedal and a hi-hat, if you follow.

Archived