What are some ways to make the best out of a cheap kit?

KevinTJH

• Members

2. Cymbals will change during the first few years of use. Has to do with the make up of the bronze vwork hardening & a few other things.

Just out of curiosity, what is the average lifespan of a cymbal? I mean before it goes dirty brown or something. I doubt I'll ever have issues with cracks as I won't be able to smash it out in an apartment.

• Members

Just out of curiosity, what is the average lifespan of a cymbal? I mean before it goes dirty brown or something. I doubt I'll ever have issues with cracks as I won't be able to smash it out in an apartment.

From experience and research, a cymbal can last indefinitely if treated right. If you don't tighten them down too much and learn how to hit properly, they'll last just about forever. As they age, they may become slightly more mellow in sound and tarnished in looks, but it will be subtle. You can always polish a cymbal to get the shine and brightness back, though some prefer to let them age naturally.

I've never broken a cymbal. Once, I tried on purpose with some junk hi-hats and couldn't do it. I finally threw them down and trampled on them.

• Members

All but my hats and one of my ride cymbals, I have bought used and those were, I assume about 10 years old then and it has been over ten years since I've bought them. Cymbals are like the better cooking pots and pans you buy, as long as you don't abuse them, they offer decades of service.

When I first started playing, I was was using Royce cymbals as it was all that I could afford after getting the drums. They were not much more than old trash can lids and dented after the first use and cracked a few months after that.

Archived