OT: Article about LA club venues, any thoughts???

twosticks

• Members

Many moons ago when I lived in LA it was true then. You would have maybe the top bands in the country coming to LA for a chance to make it, trying to set up showcases, whatever, because LA is where all the record companies and producers happen to be. I've been told the same low pay happens all the time in Nashville.

You would go to some little hole in the wall bar and see the best band from Iowa, Next door at another place would be the best band from Arizona, both trying to get some exposure. It was great for quality of music, but crap for pay.

• Members

Then again, there are rare times when we get overpaid. I remember doing a gig in Pasadena (wedding), big mansion, 1000 bucks for 3 hours (4 piece band), with a 1000 dollar tip to play an extra hour. I've also made $750 for doing a 1 hour clinic/talk at a convention. I'll take that anytime.

• Members

Yes, this is a virus that has spread to all corners of the country...even here!

However, sometimes there is revenge. There's a club that opened where another very high profile club used to be. They pulled this same {censored} on bands. Two months later, they are gone! I, for one, am not shedding any tears over it! LOL.

I would advocate boycotting establishments like this, but it would be fruitless, as there will always be some up-and-coming bands that will 'suck d*ck' to get a gig somewhere. What a shame.

Archived