Someone fouled up a good Acrolite...repairable?

rockbeat

• Members

I recently picked up a 1969 Ludwig Acrolite snare drum at a garage sale for $30. I already have an older Acrolite and at that price I bought it with the intention of reselling it and making a little extra money. The problem is one of it's previous owners etched some kind of ID number into the side of the shell. Don't ask me why but they did. And don't ask me how I didn't notice it until I got it home but I didn't. I guess maybe I was a bit overly excited by the price.

Does anyone know of any way I could possibly buff this out of the shell without marring it even worse...or is it just there for good? It doesn't appear to be real deep but it is deeper than a normal surface scratch. I can feel it when I rub my finger across it.

• Members

I bet it was a school keeping inventory, though I usually see stickers. If you do end up buffing it out, you'll probably have to do the whole shell to match. If it doesn't bother you, you could just sell your other. But as 60's are the most sought after acros, you probably won't have much trouble selling it.

• Members

Hey, 1001! I'm doing real good. I know I've been pretty scarce. I still know where to turn when I have one of my oddball questions though. I was wondering who might still be lurking about. I think I'll start checking in more often.

As far as the snare...I may keep it. Cleaned it up last night and started getting attached to the little fella. Might try to post some pics later.

• Members

Rockbeat! Whoa, long time no see!

A thought - what about buffing down the whole shell and putting a nice metallic laquer on it and keeping it? I mean, $30... about $15 in supplies and you have a customized Ludwig Acrolite. ;)

There's a few threads lately about painting snares -- check `em out!

(My attempt is still in the 'working on it' phase)

• Members

Pics. I think this thing even has the original heads on it. Oops. Tried to edit my post and deleted the whole thing. The stand is original too, as is the case it came in...an old suitcase style case.

Yes...the badge is a bit crooked...if that's what you mean.

• Members

Dude! That looks fantastic! How much experience did you have? I mean, was this the first time you ever did something like that? I'm way impressed.

Thanks. I did one drum prior, a 10" tom I converted into a snare though I didn't use gloss then. I just used standard spray techniques, don't go too thick and do light/even sweeping coats. I'm going to try this on one of my kits later this summer directly over the wrap, I'll be sure to post the results.

• Members

It would take some work but I believe you could get those marks out of there. Does the aluminum shell have a clearcoat on it?? If so I would strip it and then sand the etching out of the shell. Then have it bead blasted and then re-cleared. Not sure the time and cost would rectify itself in a resale or not......just a few thoughts.

• Members

I think you clean that snare up pretty well by yourself. Fisrt clean the clearcoat off then pick up a buffing kit for aluminum wheels at your local auto store. After that the final finish is up to you. You may not get all the scratched in serial number off but it would be significantly subdues and far less noticeable.

Bonus, any self repaired or customized drum item will be a great source of bragging rights ;>)

Boomerweps

• Members

I decided to sell it as is. I put it on ebay and it was sold in less than 5 minutes...literally. Made a nice little profit ont it.

Hey, cearleywine. This may be a silly question but since I've never played on a metal snare with a painted shell I have to ask. Was there any noticable change in the overall sound of the drum after you painted it?

Oh...nevermind. I guess I should have read the thread with the pics before asking my silly question.

One more question though...what did you use for primer? I went on the Krylon site and the only primer I saw was "paint+primer".

Archived