Any bands you love but also hate?

cearleywine

• Members

I'll play... Rush (probably my favorite 70s band) nothing after 2112 is worth listening to. Ted Nugent sucked after Tooth Fang,and Claw. Kiss from Dresses to Kill on , just a joke.U2 after the album with "In the Name Of Love". Nickelback after "Never Again"... Pretty much any band after they "make it". Listen to any band,and when they are just "up,and coming",their songs are musically,and lyrically strong.But,it seems that after they have their "break through" album,they spend the rest of their career trying to reproduce that package.Not so with Rush.My dislike of them was simply because they went tooo progressive after 2112,and they were just a Budgie clone to begin with!!! But I still to this day like that first album(the one without Neil Peart).

• Members

Maroon 5 -
Songs About Jane is a GREAT album with some awesome sly funky to it, and everything past that is lame.

GOOD CALL on this one. I became a huge fan the first time I heard Harder to Breath. I went out and snatched up the CD and was blown away. I thought Stevie Wonder style 70's funk was coming back and we were all in for a musical rebirth. Than pop took over and they stopped being a band in favor of Adam Levine and a musical director that took things to a programmed level. And there was much sadness on earth.

DB

• Members

#1 - Creed - Love the BAND, hate the singer. But I like the music enough I couldn't reconcile my disdain for my appreciation. THANK G_D for Alter Bridge fixing that!!

I forgot to mention it, but dude, pick up Tremonti, the solo album by Mark Tremonti. Oh my awesome... there's some GREAT catchy metal on that one!

• Members

I forgot to mention it, but dude, pick up
Tremonti
, the solo album by Mark Tremonti. Oh my awesome... there's some GREAT catchy metal on that one!

I've heard a couple of tracks on XM and liked what I heard. He is coming to town next month at a small place we play pretty often, so we are trying to get added as the opener!! Fingers crossed.

DB

• Members

When Steely Dan first came out I was a freshman in high school. I got their first album "Can't Buy a Thrill" and loved it. Then I got "Countdown to Ecstasy" when it came out and thought it was at least as good if not better. Then "Pretzel Logic" came out and everything changed. Gone were the cool instrumental sections and about half the band. Instead it was all poppy type stuff or something with limited if any instrumental sections.

Then I read an interview by Donald Fagan and he said the first 2 albums were to get the band out and going and then they could do what they really wanted to do. Kindof irritated me a little bit since I loved the first 2 albums.

Aja is good. Gaucho is boring.

The stuff after Aja is good and has good musicians etc., but just doesn't do it for me. Give me "My Old School".

• Members

The Killers. While not a band that will go down in history, they are or should I say were great. The album with Mr. Brightside had a feeling of conviction to it, like they really believed it and felt it. Their newest album is ok on some songs but for the most they changed everything about their music and went way off the deep end.

• Members

The Killers. While not a band that will go down in history, they are or should I say were great. The album with Mr. Brightside had a feeling of conviction to it, like they really believed it and felt it. Their newest album is ok on some songs but for the most they changed everything about their music and went way off the deep end.

love that concert, tho. good recording and film.

• Members

Primus -
a band I love the ingenuity of, but sometimes they're just too off the grid for me. Not sure what a live show would actually be like...

They are great live, as long at Tim Alexander is playing drums. I was never impressed by Brain.

For me Meshugga is one of those bands. When None & Future Breed Machine came out most people were blown away. Then they put out Chaosphere, Nothing, and Catch 33, all of which lacked the impact of their first two CDs. It may be due to the fact that they painted themselves so far into a corner that they can't be anything other than a one trick pony. Their last disk was an improvement over the previous 3.

• Members

Agree on U2 (heard some new song of theirs on the radio the other day and it just sounded the same and I didn't care) Rush after Signals and Tom Petty when Full Moon Fever came out.

Love Journey and Steve Smith and the band is the main reason I started wanting to play drums in around 79'-80' But I thought Raised on Radio was boring and after Steve Perry left it was like forget it.

Also LOVED Whitesnake's Slide It In album and it was kick ass, but then the "Is this Love" crap came out and it was like meh.

Plus I love early Reba and Toby Keith, But Toby lost his edge after "How You Like Me Now" and Reba sounds the same after like 93?

Good Thread!

• Members

Spyro Gyra might be on this list for me, too. Sometimes I absolutely love their soundscapes, and sometimes it really does feel like The Weather Channel's soundtrack.

No question that Joel Rosenblatt is a killer drummer, though!

• Members

When Steely Dan first came out I was a freshman in high school. I got their first album "Can't Buy a Thrill" and loved it. Then I got "Countdown to Ecstasy" when it came out and thought it was at least as good if not better. Then "Pretzel Logic" came out and everything changed. Gone were the cool instrumental sections and about half the band. Instead it was all poppy type stuff or something with limited if any instrumental sections.

Then I read an interview by Donald Fagan and he said the first 2 albums were to get the band out and going and then they could do what they really wanted to do. Kindof irritated me a little bit since I loved the first 2 albums.

Aja is good. Gaucho is boring.

The stuff after Aja is good and has good musicians etc., but just doesn't do it for me. Give me "My Old School".

Good call. I forgot about them. I agree with you, except my love of them ends after the first album. Absolutely love "Can't Buy A Thrill", but after that, what little 'raw' sound they had, completely disappeared and they got so 'studio slick', it makes me puke. I'll take "Midnight Cruiser" all day/night.

• Members

I really used to like Journey and then Steve Perry showed up and ruined it for me. Sure Steve Smith is great and I love his playing but for me Aynsley Dunbar was the man.

I was such a big Journey fan that I bought the first three albums before Perry, I just couldn't get into them (doesn't help that I was 12/13 at the time and so shallow minded and only into the pop/rock stuff) I think it was George Tinker that was the first lead singer? I later learned that they treated Tinker really {censored}ty when they brought Perry in? Something like his audition was a soundcheck before a concert and it was from that soundcheck that they went with Perry? I think Dunbar went on to Jefferson Starship and a bunch of other stuff?

• Members

Am I the only one who thinks that DragonForce is just the guys from Journey in costume and on tons of Amphetamines?

That said, cheese and all, I love both bands.

I also really dig the Dethklok albums, ultra-cheesy as that may be. Great music coupled with laughter always wins.

Archived