Tuning the "floor tom" on a cocktail kit

braif

• Members

Howdy!!

Years ago, when MusicYo was still around, I picked up one of their Slingerland Expresso Kits...for those of you not familiar with them, it is a cocktail kit with a floor tom that doubles as the kick drum....identical to this one

expresso.jpg

I like it and it works well for my purposes, but I do struggle with the tuning...I can't seem to get a good balance of tuning and dampening that works well...I can make it sound barely passable as either a floor tom or a kick drum...I can't seem to get it to sound passable as both...when I get a decent kick sound, the floor tom has no "depth" or undertones..when I get a decent tom sound, the kick is boomy and ringy with unpleasant overtones...

Any suggestions?

• Members

Well my experience w/cocktail kits (and all I've had my hands on have the large tom double as the kick), makes me want to say I suggest you get used to it and/or make a decision...

The drum you have, as you're tuining it, is trying to be two things at once. You have to decide which you prefer: a dampened floor tom, or a boomy kick drum.

Pick your poison.

There's no magical solution to make something that's two things be only one of them at certain times and the other thing at others.

• Members

Well my experience w/cocktail kits (and all I've had my hands on have the large tom double as the kick), makes me want to say I suggest you get used to it and/or make a decision...

The drum you have, as you're tuining it, is trying to be two things at once. You have to decide which you prefer: a dampened floor tom, or a boomy kick drum.

Pick your poison.

There's no magical solution to make something that's two things be only one of them at certain times and the other thing at others.

Thanks! That's what I was afraid of :( I've pretty much settled on a relatively boomy kick, but I just thought I'd ask to see if any "real" drummers with more experience had found a way to have it all!

• Members

I say deaden the whole kit, and mic it about 48" over the drums with a condenser aimed at the middle of the drums and just roll out some of the middle on the EQ.

I agree with Kmart. A cocktail kit is nothing more than a compromise... and for many people it can be an exercise in futility. With that in mind, Remo muff'ls were essentially the only solution that I could come up with that sounded decent and I tried everything under the sun....the Muff'ls at least gave me a "uniform" sound/muffling" on the set, so that when I mic'd the set - it had a really good sound.

Archived