I passed up Starclassics for Stage Customs.

Cratz

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Cratz

View Post

Also along the lines of what I was thinking. I don't have a huge amount of experience with high end drums, but from what I've played, heard live, and listened to in pro and amateur recordings, those kind of kits seem to make the biggest difference in a professional studio setting. It's almost like the upgrades are only really noticeable on $10,000 worth of mics.

Actually I disagree. I think where high end drums really shine through is in the room with you. Studio "magic" can be the big equalizer of drums. Some great recordings can be had with average drums and tweaking of compression and EQ.

But in a room with no help...that's where I really hear the difference between a great quality drum and something lesser.

Now that's not to say there aren't some outstanding sounding mid range drums etc, but consistently the drums that have really made me turn my head and say "holy f... those sound amazing" have almost always been very pricey.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

View Post

Also along the lines of what I was thinking. I don't have a huge amount of experience with high end drums, but from what I've played, heard live, and listened to in pro and amateur recordings, those kind of kits seem to make the biggest difference in a professional studio setting. It's almost like the upgrades are only really noticeable on $10,000 worth of mics.

Actually I disagree. I think where high end drums really shine through is in the room with you. Studio "magic" can be the big equalizer of drums. Some great recordings can be had with average drums and tweaking of compression and EQ.

But in a room with no help...that's where I really hear the difference between a great quality drum and something lesser.

Now that's not to say there aren't some outstanding sounding mid range drums etc, but consistently the drums that have really made me turn my head and say "holy f... those sound amazing" have almost always been very pricey.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by twosticks

View Post

The only thing I can add is do NOT overtighten the ball clamp tom mounts too tight. Over the time of about five years, I kept tightening and tightening my tom mounts down and it stripped them out after awhile. Just make them snug and maybe loosen them, adjust, and then retighten.

Ooh! Yes! This! I've replaced all three of my YESS mount ball clamps due to improper use in my early years of the kit.

Don't overtighten, and make sure every few gigs you take an Allen wrench to the screws to ensure they're all evenly spaced/ tightened.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by twosticks

View Post

The only thing I can add is do NOT overtighten the ball clamp tom mounts too tight. Over the time of about five years, I kept tightening and tightening my tom mounts down and it stripped them out after awhile. Just make them snug and maybe loosen them, adjust, and then retighten.

Ooh! Yes! This! I've replaced all three of my YESS mount ball clamps due to improper use in my early years of the kit.

Don't overtighten, and make sure every few gigs you take an Allen wrench to the screws to ensure they're all evenly spaced/ tightened.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by the DW

View Post

Thing is, even though they cost twice as much, the Starclassics won't sound twice as good... just a bit better, if at all. You made a good decision, in my opinion. thumb.gif

Hmmm...

Sounding twice as good or not would be an entirely subjective thing. Certainly depends on personal preference, as well as all the usual suspect variables ( head choice, tuning, style being played, room, etc.).

The quality of materials used in the shells notwithstanding...

The non-subjective angle, IMO, is thenbig difference, and usually manifested in non-sound related aspects:

Quality of finishes

Options available for finishes

Hardware (hoops, lugs, etc.)

What comes 'standard'...memory locks, die cast hoops, other fittings, etc.

All those little extras add up.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by the DW

View Post

Thing is, even though they cost twice as much, the Starclassics won't sound twice as good... just a bit better, if at all. You made a good decision, in my opinion. thumb.gif

Hmmm...

Sounding twice as good or not would be an entirely subjective thing. Certainly depends on personal preference, as well as all the usual suspect variables ( head choice, tuning, style being played, room, etc.).

The non-subjective angle, IMO, is thenbig difference, and usually manifested in non-sound related aspects:

Quality of finishes

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by kmart

View Post

Hmmm...

Quality of finishes

I guess what I was trying to say is that as with most things, once you reach a certain level of performance, the price starts to go up exponentially for smaller and smaller improvements... in this case, (subjective) sound quality. But I agree about the other stuff like quality of materials, etc..

It's like when I had my Rydeen kit. My dw's cost eight times as much, but they don't sound eight times as good, know what I mean? But I see your point.

• Members

View Post

Hmmm...

Quality of finishes

I guess what I was trying to say is that as with most things, once you reach a certain level of performance, the price starts to go up exponentially for smaller and smaller improvements... in this case, (subjective) sound quality. But I agree about the other stuff like quality of materials, etc..

It's like when I had my Rydeen kit. My dw's cost eight times as much, but they don't sound eight times as good, know what I mean? But I see your point.

• Members

View Post

Hmmm...

Quality of finishes

• Members

View Post

Hmmm...

Quality of finishes

• Members

Like several others have said I think it's nice that you didn't just get the more expensive drums because your Dad said it was OK. Evidently he has taught you about the value of money!

I bought a new Yamaha Stage Custom in 1997 and I really like them. I too got the fusion sizes. They are really good sounding drums. The quality of the hardware and stands are superb. I presently have clear ambassadors on mine. I have had coateds in the past too. The heads that come on it are really clear remo heads with yamaha stamped on them. I used them for a while and they sounded great. That's what sold me on them in the store was how good they sounded. I wouldn't automatically think you need new heads. Tune 'em up when you get them and see first.

And as far as the higher cost etc, I've had a theory for a long time with most stuff you can get about 80% there with a modest investment. Any improvement from there comes exponentially in cost until you get to the best there is.

Have fun with your new Stage Customs.

• Members

Like several others have said I think it's nice that you didn't just get the more expensive drums because your Dad said it was OK. Evidently he has taught you about the value of money!

I bought a new Yamaha Stage Custom in 1997 and I really like them. I too got the fusion sizes. They are really good sounding drums. The quality of the hardware and stands are superb. I presently have clear ambassadors on mine. I have had coateds in the past too. The heads that come on it are really clear remo heads with yamaha stamped on them. I used them for a while and they sounded great. That's what sold me on them in the store was how good they sounded. I wouldn't automatically think you need new heads. Tune 'em up when you get them and see first.

And as far as the higher cost etc, I've had a theory for a long time with most stuff you can get about 80% there with a modest investment. Any improvement from there comes exponentially in cost until you get to the best there is.

Have fun with your new Stage Customs.

• Members

I played the Yamaha Stage 2 series for years. (The # S474 in the same red color with an additional 8" drum)

So it was 8",10",12",13",14" standard sized rack toms 16" & 18" floors, 2 16" x 24" kicks, and a Pearl 8"x14" FFS Brass Snare. One of the worst mistakes I made was selling that kit.

I put Ambassadors on the resonant side and Pinstripes on the batter sides and those drums killed. I had a recording custom kit in the same set up, but because I didn't want to leave it at clubs overnight, I picked up the Stage 2 Kit in the same configuration for playing out. I bought it used for $1,200. with 6 Zildjian A cymbals and all the hardware then added the Pearl Snare from my main kit.

I played the hell out of those drums, and to be honest in a live Hard Rock/Metal setting, I actually preferred their sound to the Recording Customs... they had a bit more "thump" and cut to them. I always tuned the kit with the resonant heads tuned up about a fourth higher than the batters, so it cut off the sustain so the drums would "bark"... it had a Tympani kind of sound, but that cut through a live metal band extremely well.

• Members

I played the Yamaha Stage 2 series for years. (The # S474 in the same red color with an additional 8" drum)

So it was 8",10",12",13",14" standard sized rack toms 16" & 18" floors, 2 16" x 24" kicks, and a Pearl 8"x14" FFS Brass Snare. One of the worst mistakes I made was selling that kit.

I put Ambassadors on the resonant side and Pinstripes on the batter sides and those drums killed. I had a recording custom kit in the same set up, but because I didn't want to leave it at clubs overnight, I picked up the Stage 2 Kit in the same configuration for playing out. I bought it used for $1,200. with 6 Zildjian A cymbals and all the hardware then added the Pearl Snare from my main kit.

I played the hell out of those drums, and to be honest in a live Hard Rock/Metal setting, I actually preferred their sound to the Recording Customs... they had a bit more "thump" and cut to them. I always tuned the kit with the resonant heads tuned up about a fourth higher than the batters, so it cut off the sustain so the drums would "bark"... it had a Tympani kind of sound, but that cut through a live metal band extremely well.

• Members

I've had my Stage Customs for about 1.5 years and I don't regret buying them at all. As soon as I sat down with at the display kit,with stock heads even.I was sold. I have expanded my kit nearly to the max. I had a Tama Superstar kit that was ok,but I like the Yamaha kit much more.

Who needs to spend $1500 on a kit when you can get just as good for half. Good heads and tuning can go a very long way.

I'll admit the 5.5x14 Birch snare was more then a joke.Never could get it to sound good with multiple heads and different tuning.Just never sounded right but I do like deeper snares more.

• Members

I've had my Stage Customs for about 1.5 years and I don't regret buying them at all. As soon as I sat down with at the display kit,with stock heads even.I was sold. I have expanded my kit nearly to the max. I had a Tama Superstar kit that was ok,but I like the Yamaha kit much more.

Who needs to spend $1500 on a kit when you can get just as good for half. Good heads and tuning can go a very long way.

I'll admit the 5.5x14 Birch snare was more then a joke.Never could get it to sound good with multiple heads and different tuning.Just never sounded right but I do like deeper snares more.

• Members

Wow, didn't expect so many responses. Great stuff.

I'm definitely going to be pleased with the Stage Customs. I'm thinking of replacing the snare (looking at the black panther sledgehammer, brass 7x14), but I'd probably do that with most kits. The store ended up not being able to get it in before Saturday, so I'm going to have to wait until Monday. If I don't get it before christmas, I'll be pissed. Completely missing the "latest possible date" they told me they'd have it in by would be the final nail in the coffin of their {censored}ty service. 5 star drum shop, my ass.

Argh, waiting for a new kit is the worst.

EDIT: I'm aware that they probably don't have much control over the shipping speed, but I know most of these guys have been in the business for a while, and I prefer honesty to disappointment.. I nearly bought a Mapex kit that they told me was "100% birch" before examining the catalogue and noticing that the kit was a birch and basswood blend. When I pointed it out, the guy doing the order just gave me a blank stare and acted like that was what he said. Glad I ended up going with the Yamahas.

Will post pics soon.

• Members

I'm definitely going to be pleased with the Stage Customs. I'm thinking of replacing the snare (looking at the black panther sledgehammer, brass 7x14), but I'd probably do that with most kits. The store ended up not being able to get it in before Saturday, so I'm going to have to wait until Monday. If I don't get it before christmas, I'll be pissed. Completely missing the "latest possible date" they told me they'd have it in by would be the final nail in the coffin of their {censored}ty service. 5 star drum shop, my ass.

EDIT: I'm aware that they probably don't have much control over the shipping speed, but I know most of these guys have been in the business for a while, and I prefer honesty to disappointment.. I nearly bought a Mapex kit that they told me was "100% birch" before examining the catalogue and noticing that the kit was a birch and basswood blend. When I pointed it out, the guy doing the order just gave me a blank stare and acted like that was what he said. Glad I ended up going with the Yamahas.

Will post pics soon.

• Members

View Post

Will post pics soon.

Hopefully you get the kit on time. Check out GCs used section for a used snare. You'd be surprised at some of the snares you will find usually for half price.

• Members

View Post

Will post pics soon.

Hopefully you get the kit on time. Check out GCs used section for a used snare. You'd be surprised at some of the snares you will find usually for half price.

• Members

View Post

Yamaha makes a 7"x14" brass snare that kills - it goes for about $345 new.

• Members

View Post

Yamaha makes a 7"x14" brass snare that kills - it goes for about $345 new.

• Members

They gave me the goddamn runaround AGAIN today. I was told a "christmas shipment" was coming in and they'd call me when the kit was ready, decided to call them myself after wasting three hours waiting for the call only to be told by someone else that there was never a shipment coming in.

Archived