Anybody played the New Simmons SD9K Kit?

Primal Yell

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Damn, a friend of mine just bought a set of these. I tried to steer him towards Rolands or other decent brands, but I think he was swayed by the price and number of kit pieces. I should probably direct him to this thread and maybe he'll take 'em back.

CEM is clearly one funny mofo - one of my favorite Tull songs as well.:thu:

Steve

• Members

Damn, a friend of mine just bought a set of these. I tried to steer him towards Rolands or other decent brands, but I think he was swayed by the price and number of kit pieces. I should probably direct him to this thread and maybe he'll take 'em back.

CEM is clearly one funny mofo - one of my favorite Tull songs as well.
:thu:

Steve

Hey man, lets not get hasty and "throw out the baby with the bongwater", I mean "bathwater". I recognize the alarm and panic tone of the criticisms here. And i realize that forums like this are also a lightning rod for such criticisms, attracting venting/rants/raves etc. which can be , but may not be necessarily in proportion to the reality or in proportion to the masses in the general public, and thats cool----satisfied customers never make as much noise as the discontented..... Yo--I wanna hear about the shit! I have to wonder if a company like this simmons is very seriously flawed--may appear to have a reputation for making dogshit with quality control problems--maybe like the behringer company in some ways, (in here at the moment) and I touched on a RAW nerve or two inquiring. This company shall surely go or would have already gone bellyup if it made nothing but total dogshit however,,,,how would they expect to make in business?,,,,,I would like to give them benefit of the doubt to a degree, plus I'm trying to do the emotionally mature thing and fully assess the situation first--like an adult, before I react emotionally to it---and jump to conclusions---thats all. I agree---CEM is funny as hell though, thanks for venting this BTW CEM, let 'er rip---

• Members

Yo--I wanna hear about the {censored}! I have to wonder if a company like this simmons is very seriously flawed--may appear to have a reputation for making dog{censored} with quality control problems--maybe like the behringer company in some ways, (in here at the moment) and I touched on a RAW nerve or two inquiring.

It's worth pointing out that these are Simmons in NAME ONLY. These are the GC store brand. Simmons, the company that made the innovative edrums of the 1980's has been gone for many years.

• Members

Hi all,

First time posting here but I have read all 30 post in this topic and I didn't see one person who actually played a SD9K kit. Well, I have. I only played it about 5-10 mins. I can tell you that this Simmons kit is not like the SD5 or SD7. It looks like Simmons tried to address some of the problems with their old kits with the SD9K. It is much better than their 5 or 7, but it is not a Roland. I think for the price it might be worth checking out. For those who think it is the same as the 5 and 7 I strongly suggest you go to Simmons website (http://www.simmonsdrums.net/) and check it out for yourself. Heck, if you are at a Guitar Center, sit down and play it. Here's is a pic of the SD9K:

sd9k_drum.jpg

• Members

Hi all,

and I didn't see one person who actually played a SD9K kit.

Plopped down nearly 1100 bucks to give this sd9k a try (buy your own personal kick pedal, no kick pedal in the kit). Cannot compare it to prior models, like the number 7.

I am having problems on the snare drum in two places (each area on the snare trigger having about the physical sized area of a golf ball, so just imagine two golf ball areas about 1 inch from the rim on opposite sides on the snare drum) where it cannot detect the ghost notes--there is a type of trigger decreased response in these two snare drum areas , *not totally dead* in those spots--a normal hit will register, but not as loudly as if it were struck in a properly functioning area of the snare trigger.

The other situation developing is the kick trigger, which appears to be decreasing in responsiveness. I have adjusted the kick volume in the brain module to compensate for this, and presently the kick volume is maxxed out--and still a little unsatisfactory, JMO. The kick and trigger were issues that I was fore-warned about. I will amicably attempt to have these items fixed by the Guitar center people, and won't denegrate them until I address things with them.

I'm playing the kit through 2 Roland keyboard Amps, (100 watts each--the amps give reasonably good sound for keyboard patches ) or headphones with no external processing-yet. I enjoy the sounds of the kit--There's 700 patches from which to choose from--- a fair number of patches to try out. There does come a point when frustration from patch choosing can set in and just say F it---its time to play.... dont mean to complain about this--sheeze , I'm an impatient freaking mess.....they gave a lot of patches--and I'm somehow complaining about it......:facepalm:

I am not going to compare the patches to its competitors products from Roland, Alesis, (just not enough hands on with Roland/Alesis kits to make a qualified opinion) . As far as comparing the simmons patches to some VST drums--I'm going to defer judgement---my VST stuff is on a different computer far from the drum amps and I cannot do an A versus B side by side comparison, thats all--but i am not disatisfied with the cymbals and patches. I want to evaluate the cymbals over the same speakers as the VST drums to be fair.

Wierd, I like the rubber padded rims. You can play one hand triplets easily on the rubber coated rims- or the pads for that matter --if that gets you off--they are quite bouncy , for lack of a better term. I have no problem with the hardware coming loose using just my hand strength (no added tools for leverage) -- I cannot compare to model 7 if this is an improvement or not. More triggers than some of the competition. Its neat to have many toms, change the tom patch assignment if you don't need quite this many toms. Dual zone cymbal triggers--which are chokable. 2 slots for adding more triggers. Owned it 3 weeks, but on the other hand, if they don't make good on the warranty stuff,,,, you might say that they've owned me for 3 weeks!

--Regards

• Members

I'm curious why you went and bought it when a guy that sold them and knew them almost begged you not to do it? Seems like the very problems he highlighted have been your issues too.

WARNING...rant ahead....

On another note, I would not teach a 12 year old on a kit with flashing lights. Sounds like Rock Band or something. Get the kid a real kit with mutes and some lessons. And you can't learn drum styles by trying to play along with a canned song....it takes instruction and a planned approach with intentional practice. Everybody wants to find an easier way, well it just ain't possible.

ok....rant off

• Members

I'm curious why you went and bought it when a guy that sold them and knew them almost begged you not to do it? Seems like the very problems he highlighted have been your issues too.

WARNING...rant ahead....

On another note, I would not teach a 12 year old on a kit with flashing lights. Sounds like Rock Band or something. Get the kid a real kit with mutes and some lessons. And you can't learn drum styles by trying to play along with a canned song....it takes instruction and a planned approach with intentional practice. Everybody wants to find an easier way, well it just ain't possible.

ok....rant off

I'm curious why you went and bought it ----Couple of reasons,

1. The Roland Gear is insanely expensive. I'll never accept why mass produced gear made in the third world--not made of wood nor requiring seasoned craftsman, etc be priced like that. Would rather have another motorcycle than an overpriced kit of Rolands.... and if the kids loose interest, I'll get over it -- for this price, relatively speaking. One kid has already lost interest in the flute, oh well, loosing interest happens--and that was with a fantastic teacher BTW.

2. I can't spring for lessons for my kid(s) at the moment--its not just 120.00 a month--I'de have to put the other kids into lessons to be fair--and that would run me 500 a month or so. The lights is one alternative for this situation--your so right about a teacher though, and I appreciate you reminding me of that!

3. My kids picked the simmons over the Roland. They were playing "it" the most---FWIW.

4. I was hoping that the triggers issues would not apply to "me", writing it off as a bad batch which warranty should cover.

5. I was honestly caught up in the emotional good feeling or emotional good time frenzy of bonding with my sons over drums--and hanging with them. Drum Frenzy....Friends apparently shouldn't let other friends drive to GC when they're drum frenzied.

• Members

I'm curious why you went and bought it
----Couple of reasons,

1. The Roland Gear is insanely expensive. I'll never accept why mass produced gear made in the third world--not made of wood nor requiring seasoned craftsman, etc be priced like that. Would rather have another motorcycle than an overpriced kit of Rolands.... and if the kids loose interest, I'll get over it -- for this price, relatively speaking. One kid has already lost interest in the flute, oh well, loosing interest happens--and that was with a fantastic teacher BTW.

2. I can't spring for lessons for my kid(s) at the moment--its not just 120.00 a month--I'de have to put the other kids into lessons to be fair--and that would run me 500 a month or so. The lights is one alternative for this situation--your so right about a teacher though, and I appreciate you reminding me of that!

3. My kids picked the simmons over the Roland. They were playing "it" the most---FWIW.

4. I was hoping that the triggers issues would not apply to "me", writing it off as a bad batch which warranty should cover.

5. I was honestly caught up in the emotional good feeling or emotional good time frenzy of bonding with my sons over drums--and hanging with them. Drum Frenzy....Friends apparently shouldn't let other friends drive to GC when they're drum frenzied.

I hear you. All those little reasons add up to one big one. I hope you can get your tech issues at least resolved to where they are liveable. I've learned the hard way to buy mid-range gear as a minimum and I've learned to utilize the used market pretty well. I rarely buy new. Not to make you cry or anything but I saw a Roland TD3 kit new in the box on Craigs for $600 here locally. It was bought by a church and never used. I'd love to pick it up but economically it's not a good idea (from my wife's perspective) and I need another drum kit like a hole in the head right now.

I know all about lesson costs too. Been there/done that/still doing it. It's well worth it if you can swing it....for any age.

• Members

I know all about lesson costs too. Been there/done that/still doing it. It's well worth it if you can swing it....for any age.

>

In the short span of my lifetime, the costs of owning nicer musical instruments and years of lessons (as well as owning quality golf clubs, golf lessons, and playing golf---hey---Golf is important too --isn't it?? :) ) has gotten kinda expensive. Is this stuff becoming a luxury? Becoming a righ man's Hobby? :eek: Gone are days of finding the likes of a used Les Paul for 250 or 300 bucks.........Oh man, I feel the squeeze, its like a part of the american dream is VANISHING,,,not being overly dramatic either..,,its like, am I a poor provider for my kids? ....My parents got me plenty of lessons, and I am not able to do the same for mine?.....(opening musical doors for the kids is valuable .......)

>

It may be that this is just the type of niche market that the simmons sd9k kit is willing to fill. Gear for the "Non-Rich Kids"--with some compromises that maybe , just maybe, you can live with. ( Or return to GC) I don't know. My kids haven't detected the ghost note problem, nor the kick issue.

I came in here in this forum, with resident drummers who "know their way around the block" so to speak, and have more "discerning minds" and "discerning tastes" in drumming than I. Thats why I asked some questions. Hey , I am grateful for setting me straight with things!! You drummers are hard hitting and aggressive--but thanks.

• Members

I'm a true believer in the fact that you DO get what you pay for. The way around this is to do reasearch, find what you are looking for, price them out, look for deals, weigh the options, pull the trigger.

If you skimp for skimping sake, then you will mostly likely have some things that don't meet certain standards.

Good luck with the new toy, if it plays right, then you're all set. If it has issues, then return it ASAP!!!

• Members

Don't overlook the Yamaha electronic kits. You get a lot of bang for the buck, and the sounds are better than the Roland kits. Mesh heads are a great marketing tool, but they feel nothing like an acoustic drum......you may as well put triggers on a tennis raquet.

Yamaha kita start at around $699 for a DTXPLORER with a pedal included, there are five different kits in their line-up. Take a look at www.dtxperience.com, there's some good video clips there.

• Members

Is this stuff becoming a luxury? Becoming a righ man's Hobby?
:eek:
Gone are days of finding the likes of a used Les Paul for 250 or 300 bucks........

It's well known that Gibson charges a lot just for that name. A company like Ibanez makes some great intruments in the price range you're talking about.

As far as pads go, as anyone suggested Hart or Pintech? They are both known for being good quality, and better priced than the Roland pads.

• Members

Don't overlook the Yamaha electronic kits. You get a lot of bang for the buck, and the sounds are better than the Roland kits. Mesh heads are a great marketing tool, but they feel nothing like an acoustic drum......you may as well put triggers on a tennis raquet.

Yamaha kita start at around $699 for a DTXPLORER with a pedal included, there are five different kits in their line-up. Take a look at
www.dtxperience.com
, there's some good video clips there.

I have mixed feelings about you... It's not really spam... But it kind of is... Carry on.

• Members

Except he's right, Yamaha DOES make good electric kits and even better prices. It never hurts to have an industry insider posting here, quit scaring him away.

I love that he's here... And I do love pretty much anything that says yamaha on it... But, is it spam? Or is it answering biasdly? I will agree that the DTX kit is probably the best at that price.

• Members

I have an sd5k i bought two years ago. The kick trigger {censored} the other day and Simmons does not sell parts for their kits at this time!!

Pretty much junk.

Yep, and it looks like all they changed was the number of drums, and lay out of the brain.

• Members

Yep, and it looks like all they changed was the number of drums, and lay out of the brain.

I was looking over the sd9 the other day. The guys at Guitar Center had the:confused: look when i brought in my kick pad. Parts, wha?? :lol:

Archived