Anybody played the New Simmons SD9K Kit?

Primal Yell

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

hi everyone! (first post)

Im in the market for an electronic kit that i can have setup full time in one of my bedrooms for "practice" only... it will never see a gig.

I was considering the sd9k, however after reading this thread... and playing on one at Guitar Center... im thinking NOT.

Can you guys give me some advice? I dont know alot about electronic kits... however, im looking to spend anywhere from 1000 up to 1500. Currently im thinking of getting a used DTXtreme IIs off ebay. (they've been going around 1500). Is there something better out there in the same price range?

Some things i definitely want:

1. sensitivity... this is why i hated the sd9k.
2. alot of sounds dont mean that much to me... i'll prolly set it up to ONE good sounding kit and never change it.
3. The module should have enough jacks to makeup a 6 piece kit with ride and 2 crashes.

any advice is greatly appreciated.... and im sorry for thread jacking.

:)

p.s. anyone know anything about the Hart Dynamics drums?

• Members

Hello all, I had the DISpleasure of playing the
NEW Simmons drums on Saturday 10-4-08.
Although, I liked the simmons 1, 2 and 3 sounds IN the module,
it did NOT TRACK/PLAY half of the notes that I PLAYED on it.
The Simmons 1, 2 and 3 had the 1980`s Simmons sounds,
number 4 did NOT sound ANYTHING like 1980`s simmons.
I don`t know WHY it did NOT track the notes that I played,
either
1. the pick-ups suck!
2. the module is NOT good!
3. the sensitivity needs to adjusted,
4. OR a combination of ALL of these.
THAT SAID, I would NOT buy these!
IF, you`re looking for that 1980`s Simmons sound,
I think you need to look on ebay for the
drum pads and Module, then you won`t have to buy this
CHEAP piece of crap!
NOW, can we FINALLY close this thread?

• Members

hi everyone! (first post)

Im in the market for an electronic kit that i can have setup full time in one of my bedrooms for "practice" only... it will never see a gig.

I was considering the sd9k, however after reading this thread... and playing on one at Guitar Center... im thinking NOT.

Can you guys give me some advice? I dont know alot about electronic kits... however, im looking to spend anywhere from 1000 up to 1500. Currently im thinking of getting a used DTXtreme IIs off ebay. (they've been going around 1500). Is there something better out there in the same price range?

Some things i definitely want:

1. sensitivity... this is why i hated the sd9k.

2. alot of sounds dont mean that much to me... i'll prolly set it up to ONE good sounding kit and never change it.

3. The module should have enough jacks to makeup a 6 piece kit with ride and 2 crashes.

any advice is greatly appreciated.... and im sorry for thread jacking.

:)

p.s. anyone know anything about the Hart Dynamics drums?

Contact Brian at www.hopedrums.com he is a Hart dealer.

• Members

Hello all, I had the DISpleasure of playing the

NEW Simmons drums on Saturday 10-4-08.

Although, I liked the simmons 1, 2 and 3 sounds IN the module,

it did NOT TRACK/PLAY half of the notes that I PLAYED on it.

The Simmons 1, 2 and 3 had the 1980`s Simmons sounds,

number 4 did NOT sound ANYTHING like 1980`s simmons.

I don`t know WHY it did NOT track the notes that I played,

either

1. the pick-ups suck!

2. the module is NOT good!

3. the sensitivity needs to adjusted,

4. OR a combination of ALL of these.

THAT SAID, I would NOT buy these!

IF, you`re looking for that 1980`s Simmons sound,

I think you need to look on ebay for the

drum pads and Module, then you won`t have to buy this

CHEAP piece of crap!

NOW, can we FINALLY close this thread?

Guitar center bought out the name, it is not the same simmons from the 80's, think "Sound Percussion" but in electric.

• Members
I love that he's here... And I do love pretty much anything that says yamaha on it... But, is it spam? Or is it answering biasdly? I will agree that the DTX kit is probably the best at that price.

I understand where you're coming from, no offense taken. I'm here because I'm a drummer first.....over 40 years of experience. I've owned and played most everything out there, and worked retail for 11 years so I know the ins and outs of most everyone's stuff as well.

I'm NOT here to bash anyone's gear, but if you want the skinny on anything Yamaha, or if we have something that I think will meet your needs I'll post my .02 on it. Feel free to PM me if you have a specific question OR a problem, I will do what I can to help.

Yeah, I may be biased, but do you think a guy at Ferrari is driving a Hyundai? ;)

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I just purchased a brand new Simmons SD9K from my local Guitar Center and I got it for $795.68+tax. I want to pass this on to everyone who is going to purchase anything from GC. Here is how you can save some dough. GC has a price match policy that if you find a lower price they will match it and also give you an additional 10% off of the difference. I found that at http://www.music123.com/ (Guitar Center owns Music123.com so I do not know why GC doesn't have the same discount) presently has a 15% off sale, so I put together a package on their website that included the SD9K, throne and pedal, added it to the shopping cart and then printed it off and took it in to GC. GC gladly honored their price match policy. I ended up getting the SD9K, the nice 5 leg Roc-N-Soc throne, a Pearl double bass pedal and a pair of sticks for a total of $1113.53+tax. I saved $220 (20%). I would have saved on paying the taxes if I would have bought them from music 123 but only 6%. It paid to shop around. I'll post another thread after I play on it and let everyone know how it performs. But so far I have had no problems.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived