Anyone else "hate" playing Live ?

IL Duce

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This post has exhauasted me. I'm sorry I even started this thread. All I was wondering was if anyone else didn't care for playing out. I guess I got my answer. --- Quit your band, stagefright, afraid to drive a car a whinner, sheesh some of you guys are so quick to judge and put down other guys. Lets just let this post die. This is my last post on it. the End.

• Members

Jenks,

I'm not gonna turn this into a battle. But stop assuming so much about me. Unless I missed something you didn't give me any "advice" Your intial responce was nothing but a bunch of condesending crap. "if I don't like playing live why bother" says you. What is that some kinda rule ? You also stated thats why YOU play. Did I call you a egomaniac ? No, good for you did I make accusations on why you love playing live ? again no, why you may ask ? I have no idea what your motivation for playing live is but if that makes you happy good for you. You also went on to say playing in your room gets old fast. This I will agree with you. As far as your second post "Bitchin about playing out" I don't think I was whinning about it just was wondering if anyone else could do without it. I know I'm way out of the norm for a musician but so what ? FYI my bandmates know all too well my adversion for playing live. watching me on stage you'd never know it Yes it is a facade but a true pro puts on his best performance no matter what. I guess you missed the part about people I know who have seen me play think I'm bull{censored}ting them about hating playing live. They seem to think I'm having the time of my life. In conclusion I'm not pulling anyone down I'm a competent active member of my band. I just don't care for performing live so your theory is not nearly spot on. Maybe a little thought into your responce instead of the shoot from the hip stuff you've been flinging at me would be nice especially from one of the more respected and senior members of this board. I know you can do it I often come away from reading your many responces with a tad more knowledge. Maybe it's just me. But I'm reading nothing but contempt and condesedince from your replies.

Funny, you state you don't want to turn it into a battle, and this is what you post afterwards?

LOL...ok...

As a clarification, my point stated earlier is that if you don't like playing live, why bother (playing live).

It's not something I'm losing sleep over trying to figure out for you...

If you don't like it, don't do it.

• Members

I've performed at fundraising events and they can be the most fun gigs to do.

Again, everyone's different and that's really why music is so damn cool.

Ah, fundraising events have a value associated with them! It's just not one that lines YOUR pocket...but can still give a person warm-fuzzies and attaboys.

• Members

I think alot of you are missing my point. On numerous occasions in this thread I have been advised to quit my band. Why ? I love playing in a band. I love writting songs. When we do hit the stage you'd never know I don't like it. Why ? because I have a proffesional attitude it's what comes with the territory ya gotta do it like it or not so I do it. The guys in my band like me. they know I don't like playing out but they know when I do I give it my all 100%. My bass player has remarked time and time again I'm the most crowd freindly guy he's ever jammed with. He has said I'm a natural born entertainer. That may be streching it but still playing live blows.

The main point is that if you hate doing it, then why do it. If you can answer that question, then you don't need us to tell you what to do.

• Members

Playing live is the culmination of all the years of practicing. If I don't gig for a while I go find a jam night just to play out, even if it is only a song or two. For me it is all about creating music with other musicians and having people enjoy it. It has nothing to do with ego or image. It is all about bringing joy to others. I just played a gig with an Elvis impersonator. The audience was about 300 special needs people. They loved it, the dancing and smiles on their faces was amazing. It felt so good to bring that much joy into their day. Maybe you need to re examine why you play at all. What motivates you to get behind the kit.

• Members

Most gigs are not very satisfying. But then I only ever play in bars, brewpubs, coffehouses. In all of these places rarely if ever have they been built or even remodeled with music in mind.

The music environment in these places is like an unplanned afterthought, and the acoustics are usually atrocious.

The bars stink, I mean they actually smell horrible, and they are filthy.

The brewpubs are a wee bit cleaner but are frequently lighted like my Grandmas house and sometimes they even have her wallpaper (from WallMart) yuch.

The Coffehouses are not much better and the $$ are MIA.

Once in a very rare while I've been able to play at a festival which is sometimes fun.

Thing is... I love music. I have always loved music.... Listening to it, playing it, writing it etc.... and I loved it before I was ever considering trying to take it to the public and all the bullsh@t that entails.

Any time you take something that you love and try to create a job out of it ... you're looking for trouble.

There is a famous quote that goes something like... "Music: write it, arrange it, record it ..but for godsakes don't perfrom it!"

"Art for arts' sake... MONEY for GODSAKES! we all need it and it seems it would be wonderful if we could make all we need of it simply by performing.

....but even the famous and the huge have to do a ton of stuff to promote their careers that has nothing to do with the bliss of actually playing and enjoying music.

In conclusion may I just add this quote from the late Dr. Hunter S.Thompson......

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

Hunter S. Thompson

Thank You and Goodnight! Hisssssssssss Booooooooo!

• Members

Most gigs are not very satisfying. But then I only ever play in bars, brewpubs, coffehouses. In all of these places rarely if ever have they been built or even remodeled with music in mind.

The music environment in these places is like an unplanned afterthought, and the acoustics are usually atrocious.

The bars stink, I mean they actually smell horrible, and they are filthy.

The brewpubs are a wee bit cleaner but are frequently lighted like my Grandmas house and sometimes they even have her wallpaper (from WallMart) yuch.

The Coffehouses are not much better and the $$ are MIA.

Once in a very rare while I've been able to play at a festival which is sometimes fun.

Thing is... I love music. I have always loved music.... Listening to it, playing it, writing it etc.... and I loved it before I was ever considering trying to take it to the public and all the bullsh@t that entails.

Any time you take something that you love and try to create a job out of it ... you're looking for trouble.

There is a famous quote that goes something like... "Music: write it, arrange it, record it ..but for godsakes don't perfrom it!"

"Art for arts' sake... MONEY for GODSAKES! we all need it and it seems it would be wonderful if we could make all we need of it simply by performing.

....but even the famous and the huge have to do a ton of stuff to promote their careers that has nothing to do with the bliss of actually playing and enjoying music.

In conclusion may I just add this quote from the late Dr. Hunter S.Thompson......

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

Hunter S. Thompson

Thank You and Goodnight! Hisssssssssss Booooooooo!

That's a very insightful look into the issue at hand, and a meaningful prospective from you that I can appreciate. There's a big difference in explaining it as a neccessary, but yet somewhat unenjoyable task of the overall process, and just flat out complaining about having to do it. The OP just came off as being a bit ungrateful towards the opportunity, with absolutely nothing to add as to WHY he doesn't like performing live. Other than it's just part of his "act". pfffft on that.

As far as the late Hunter S... I had an opportunity to have a drink with him at the Woody Creek Tavern, here in Aspen. I had no idea it was him until after he had passed out in his barstool.

• Members

As far as the late Hunter S... I had an opportunity to have a drink with him at the Woody Creek Tavern, here in Aspen. I had no idea it was him until after he had passed out in his barstool.

That is sooo Coooool! I wish I could drink enough to pass out on a barstool.

• Members

He was also 86'd from a place in Basalt, CO (bout 25 minutes from here) for continuoulsy calling in food orders for pick-up, then getting so wasted that he would forget to make the pick-up.

I bet he had some killer stories. The County Sheriff used to hang out with him a bunch too.

• Members

He was also 86'd from a place in Basalt, CO (bout 25 minutes from here) for continuoulsy calling in food orders for pick-up, then getting so wasted that he would forget to make the pick-up.

I bet he had some killer stories. The County Sheriff used to hang out with him a bunch too.

nothin' but class

• Members

One time a buddy of ours passed out after a night of heavy drinking. He managed to strip down to his skivvies and pass out face down on a couch. This {censored}er was one hairy dude. I mean, like a {censored}ing ape.

So we took turns lighting his hair on fire. Dude never woke up. Finally the smell of burning hair got to us, and we quit. But my friend lit the back of his leg on fire, and it burned up to his crotch just like a trail of gun powder. You could see the {censored} sizzling and smoking. The dude just grabbed his crotch a bit, and kept right on snoring. He never did figure out why he lost so much hair. He thought we shaved him or some {censored}. Later we told him we were setting him on fire. The {censored}er never passed out in his skivvies again.

• Members

Then WHY do it?? How long have you been playing gigs? Maybe it's time to give it up dude. Seriously, playing live is what it's all about for me. If I get to the stage where it's not enjoyable anymore, then it's time to move on. There are so many drummers dying to get a band because they want to play gigs man. Maybe the moneys too good, I don't know.

• Members

I play a bar where when they get that bad, they duct tape them to the stool.

perfect, that's my kinda bar.

brilliant, safety and amusement.

hey, maybe if this whiner played places like that, he'd have more fun?

Archived