Anyone else "hate" playing Live ?

IL Duce

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm almost shocked at this thread. I understand that someone may not like it... but then why do it?

If you don't want to play live, don't book your band and leave the slot for someone else who has the passion for it! Music is art, first and foremost, and an inspired artist tends to bring more to the table.

Il Duce, I work a corporate day job so I can schmooze and fakeface with the best of them, but I just don't share your view on this one. I hope you find that spark that ignites your fire for playing live again some day - it's the best part of what we do!!! :love:

• Members

Just to clarify things for some of you. It just dosen't do it for me. I could care less about applause. I don't care weather people like my playing or my music. ( I write alot of originals). I have no "ego" to satisfy. I play because I enjoy it. I write songs and record them because I enjoy it. Jenks, I was very dissapointed in your responce. You make alot of good points But your way off by saying "if you don't play live why bother playing ?" Is that the litmus test of weather someone should play or not ? To each his own. You also mentioned something about hanging with other musicians in my basement and being dilusional. Where the {censored} did you get that from ? I got news for ya when I do a show I'm all entertainment more musicians should be like me when they play out, But for me when all is said and done I think playing live considering the money is a loosing propasition. I hate it.

You don't have to like my advice, but I suspect it's pretty spot-on.

If you want to play in your room, play in your room, but don't put on a facade and bitch about it and drag your band mates along...

• Members

There are musicians that do strictly session work. Everyone's different and I can understand where you're coming from. Be honest with yourself, and then with your bandmates. If it's a fear of playing live, then overcoming that fear can be a great accomplishment. I suspect that's not the case. It takes big nads to start a thread like this.:thu:

• Members

There are musicians that do strictly session work. Everyone's different and I can understand where you're coming from. Be honest with yourself, and then with your bandmates. If it's a fear of playing live, then overcoming that fear can be a great accomplishment. It takes big nads to start a thread like this.
:thu:

Yeah, and the competition is so tight that one needs to have a LOT of chops to make it to that level, plus, you rarely play what you want to play, you have no sayso in how your part should be played, time IS money/high-pressure "one-takes", and, it's a "who you know" kind of deal - in other words, you have to not only sell yourself, but also prove to them that the person they are using now isn't good enough, even though they've used the guy for 20 albums...

• Members

Yeah, and the competition is so tight that one needs to have a LOT of chops to make it to that level, plus, you rarely play what you want to play, you have no sayso in how your part should be played, time IS money/high-pressure "one-takes", and, it's a "who you know" kind of deal - in other words, you have to not only sell yourself, but also prove to them that the person they are using now isn't good enough, even though they've used the guy for 20 albums...

That's if you are called into a studio for a session. A lot of work is done online nowadays. I agree that to make a living at it you have to do a lot of work.

• Members

That's if you are called into a studio for a session. A lot of work is done online nowadays. I agree that to make a living at it you have to do a lot of work.

Doing stuff for free devalues talent and hard work.

Even then, I do play for my own enjoyment, but, online collaborations tend to be a bit...ghey, IMO.

• Members

Jenks,

I'm not gonna turn this into a battle. But stop assuming so much about me. Unless I missed something you didn't give me any "advice" Your intial responce was nothing but a bunch of condesending crap. "if I don't like playing live why bother" says you. What is that some kinda rule ? You also stated thats why YOU play. Did I call you a egomaniac ? No, good for you did I make accusations on why you love playing live ? again no, why you may ask ? I have no idea what your motivation for playing live is but if that makes you happy good for you. You also went on to say playing in your room gets old fast. This I will agree with you. As far as your second post "Bitchin about playing out" I don't think I was whinning about it just was wondering if anyone else could do without it. I know I'm way out of the norm for a musician but so what ? FYI my bandmates know all too well my adversion for playing live. watching me on stage you'd never know it Yes it is a facade but a true pro puts on his best performance no matter what. I guess you missed the part about people I know who have seen me play think I'm bull{censored}ting them about hating playing live. They seem to think I'm having the time of my life. In conclusion I'm not pulling anyone down I'm a competent active member of my band. I just don't care for performing live so your theory is not nearly spot on. Maybe a little thought into your responce instead of the shoot from the hip stuff you've been flinging at me would be nice especially from one of the more respected and senior members of this board. I know you can do it I often come away from reading your many responces with a tad more knowledge. Maybe it's just me. But I'm reading nothing but contempt and condesedince from your replies.

• Members

Doing stuff for free devalues talent and hard work.

Even then, I do play for my own enjoyment, but, online collaborations tend to be a bit...ghey, IMO.

I've performed at fundraising events and they can be the most fun gigs to do.

Again, everyone's different and that's really why music is so damn cool.

• Members

I have no "ego" to satisfy.

Granted, I might have a bit of an ego to satisfy (most performers do else we wouldn't love performing) but I'm the furthest thing in the world from your typical "egotistical" musician. Rather, it makes me feel good knowing I made the audience feel good. I gauge that based upon the applause level. I truly appreciate every fan that hears me play and go out of my way to make sure they know it.

Where you're happy playing (vs performing) and creating music, I'm most happy performing live (I hate practice).

Each of us has our own wants and needs and we should all go about satisfying them in any fashion that makes us happy. Just keep drumming.

• Members

I'm a competent active member of my band. I just don't care for performing live.

:confused:

Still wondering why you don't like playing live. And I think you said earlier that there are a whole list of things you "hate" about being in a band. Why keep on going then? If there's absolutely no feeling of accomplishment or enjoyment in what you are doing, why keep doing it?

I'll bet that there are plenty of drummers who would love to have the opportunity to join a band, would work hard, would be part of the team, and would (more importantly) enjoy what they are doing.

It sounds a little bit like you're taking it for granted.

• Members

There are some great studio musicians who make a career out of playing (vs performing), so there is nothing wrong with loving to drum but not wanting to play for live audiences.

If your band wants to play live, they'd be better off with another drummer. You may look into finding other musicians to collaborate and record with, or a studio that could use a talented drummer for laying down tracks for others music. One band that comes to mind for me is Steely Dan. They were mostly studio musicians who put out albums but very rarely played live (I did see them live once in D.C. back in the 70's).

• Members

This thread is starting to go astray. I never said I hated being in a band. I said I hated playing live. To me it's such a hassle. there's the trivial things like loading and unloading your equipment. I know it comes with the territory but it's still a hassle. Then there's the critique and advice people are quick to offer you. The ones who kill me are people who don't even play an instrument. they try to make a point but don't know how to say it. Since I do not require affirmation of my work from an audience that really undercuts the need for me to play for an audience dose it not ? I think alot of you are missing my point. On numerous occasions in this thread I have been advised to quit my band. Why ? I love playing in a band. I love writting songs. When we do hit the stage you'd never know I don't like it. Why ? because I have a proffesional attitude it's what comes with the territory ya gotta do it like it or not so I do it. The guys in my band like me. they know I don't like playing out but they know when I do I give it my all 100%. My bass player has remarked time and time again I'm the most crowd freindly guy he's ever jammed with. He has said I'm a natural born entertainer. That may be streching it but still playing live blows.

• Members

This thread is starting to go astray. I never said I hated being in a band. I said I hated playing live. To me it's such a hassle. there's the trivial things like loading and unloading your equipment. I know it comes with the territory but it's still a hassle. Then there's the critique and advice people are quick to offer you. The ones who kill me are people who don't even play an instrument. they try to make a point but don't know how to say it. Since I do not require affirmation of my work from an audience that really undercuts the need for me to play for an audience dose it not ? I think alot of you are missing my point. On numerous occasions in this thread I have been advised to quit my band. Why ? I love playing in a band. I love writting songs. When we do hit the stage you'd never know I don't like it. Why ? because I have a proffesional attitude it's what comes with the territory ya gotta do it like it or not so I do it. The guys in my band like me. they know I don't like playing out but they know when I do I give it my all 100%. My bass player has remarked time and time again I'm the most crowd freindly guy he's ever jammed with. He has said I'm a natural born entertainer. That may be streching it but still playing live blows.

Just out of curiousity, did you ever enjoy playing live? I'm wondering if it has turned into a job for you, and perhaps that's why it is no longer enjoyable. Just as with a "day job", we all strive to do our best, but it doesn't mean that we like our job.

It sounds like you have a great work ethic, but just don't like the job.

Maybe?

• Members

quite frankly I think this is totally retarded, or it's a joke. (i'm not sure yet, so I'll go with retarded).

Music is a live medium. You are a musician. Play your instrument for people to enjoy the experience WITH you. Why are you smiling so much and cheesing up the crowd if you don't really want to be there? If you are lying to the crowd that much, you are wasting your own time, and the time of everyone around you.

P.S.

What exactly do you not like about playing live? Have you only played {censored}ty gigs, and you've forgotten how cool it is to play out, or do you have an anxiety disorder, or do you think the music you play sucks?

I'm so confused.

• Members

the question was asked about what I hate about being in a band there's a bunch of things but thats my tops.

You sound like a whiner, and you're taking something that most people can only dream about, and complaining about the fact that you do it. If you don't like doing it, then quit. Don't come around here bitching about how you're sooooo good at what you do, but it's just such a hassle to keep doing it. If that's how you feel, then perhaps you should just step aside from that opportunity, and let someone else, someone who can appreciate it, take over.

One day it might get taken away from you when you least expect it.

• Members

i was so shocked by the thread that i posted without reading all of the posts. now that i've read many of the 40+ responses to this farce, i have to say.

Dude, buy yourself a sequencer and a hard drive recorder. Become a studio god, without performing live and save the stage space for people that dig it.

good luck.

• Members

...if I hated playing live, I would never be in a band or be a drummer in the first place. There is no joy in playing to CD's all day long. Nothing beats the rush of playing for a live audience. I may not enjoy a particular venue as much an another, but If I didn't play out, I would just quit all together!

2 cents...Bob

• Members

I could care less about applause. I don't care weather people like my playing or my music...

What is it with people and this mistake? You both mean you couldn't care less.... not you could care less. That is the exact opposite of what you mean. I'm starting a campaign to eradicate this all too common mistake, as it's about the 4th time i've seen someone make it on here in the last week (damn OCD). And i couldn't care less if you think i'm a grammar Nazi, because I am.

• Members

What is it with people and this mistake? You both mean you
couldn't
care less.... not you
could
care less. That is the exact opposite of what you mean. I'm starting a campaign to eradicate this all too common mistake, as it's about the 4th time i've seen someone make it on here in the last week (damn OCD). And i
couldn't
care less if you think i'm a grammar Nazi, because I am.

HELL YEAH! This is the frickin' stupidist thing EVER. CITIZENS, PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT IS COMING OUT OF YOUR MOUNTH!

Start some sort of HC forum guild so we can all put it into our signatures!

Archived