Do you like your own voice?

boycalledtrash

• Members
I think it all depends: maybe you have expectations to sing a certain style (like R&B) and you find out you sing like another type of style (e.g. Country), so you may not like country, but you have a country-style voice. Sometimes you can have a few preferences in music, maybe you want to sound like a pop singer, but you sound like you're better off with opera, or maybe a new style. You could be quite happy with that....

:soapbox: I disagree with the suggestion that genre should be matched to voice. And now chamcham is saying that his voice is suited to music he never listens to!

What you say is true in a "soft" sense, and I'm perfectly willing to believe that some voices seem to fit certain genres right out of the box. But it is another thing to imply that one should conform to this genre. It strikes me that anyone looking to find the genre they fit into vocally is someone who shouldn't be a singer. You should start from the music you love. Period.

Now this may mean that you have some work ahead of you. If you're on the Steve Perry/Freddie Mercury/Chris Cornell bandwagon, good luck! But you should work to get there rather than resign yourself to singing music that doesn't inspire you simply because you believe you can.
:blah: [end of rant] :wave:

Luckily, I admire Dylan, Neil Young, and old-time country and folk. Not a steep climb! ;)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Uh-oh! You got JJack mad. lol.. :lol:

I'm going to say that you guys shouldn't limit yourself. You should sing whatever music you're into. As long as your have a decent technique, you can adjust your voice to a particular style. You just have to experiment with the different "colours of your voice". But in the end, your voice should still sound like "your sound".

• Members

So, apparently, I'm good at music that I hardly listen to.

That's good that you're trying different styles, it helps to get a grasp on what you're best at. I hardly listen to opera, and apparently I have the voice for it, however the one problem is that opera is mostly in Italian and I never really practiced singing any kind of actual song.

I know for sure I suck at pop music, I just don't know any really good English opera songs or what kind of songs to do/make.

I'd like to practice more, but throwing a foreign language into the song really throws me off. Plus I'm kind of picky, I'd rather make my own music and sing it, because I can make it simple enough I can sing it back without getting stuck.

Then it comes down to the fact that I lack materials/sounds/equipment to even start anything. I have an electric piano, but I'd rather synthesize sounds and come up with something new.

Of course, I never have the time to practice alone either, there's always something else going on.

• Members

:wave:

Luckily, I admire Dylan, Neil Young, and old-time country and folk. Not a steep climb!
;)

I'm not saying don't sing the music you love, obviously you start with what you like to see if you can do it. If you sound good at it, all you can do is practice to be better. :3

I was giving an example, not suggesting to avoid it. I'm saying if you don't sound good with one genre, even with practice, try different kinds. Lots of singers have a strong suit, doesn't mean you have to sing a genre you entirely dislike.

Obviously if you dislike it so much, it's hard to enjoy it. :\

There's always genres that can be practiced.

• Members

My Chris Cornell sense is tingling! I don't buy into the whole "you can only sing what suits your voice" BS. If you stay in your comfort zone your never gonna get any better! If you want to sing rock, sing rock, blues, sing blues...etc. There are many colors to our voice it's just a matter of practicing the style. Pigeon holing yourself into what you think "suits" your voice ain't gonna be any fun if you don't like the genre!

And to answer the OP, yes I like my voice :D

• Members

That's good that you're trying different styles, it helps to get a grasp on what you're best at. I hardly listen to opera, and apparently I have the voice for it, however the one problem is that opera is mostly in Italian and I never really practiced singing any kind of actual song.

I know for sure I suck at pop music, I just don't know any really good English opera songs or what kind of songs to do/make.

I'd like to practice more, but throwing a foreign language into the song really throws me off. Plus I'm kind of picky, I'd rather make my own music and sing it, because I can make it simple enough I can sing it back without getting stuck.

Then it comes down to the fact that I lack materials/sounds/equipment to even start anything. I have an electric piano, but I'd rather synthesize sounds and come up with something new.

Of course, I never have the time to practice alone either, there's always something else going on.

Sorry this is gonna hurt...you are so full of excuses that the stench of crap that comes from your text can be sensed over here in NJ!!! All you need to sing is to open your mouth and sing! No instruments, no rooms, not special time....you are so full of {censored} it hurts!

What else can you come up with as an excuse...? The Sun wasn't bright enough? The humidity levels in my underwear were to high? What the {censored}! Open you mouth, force air through your vocal chords and emit a sound...if it's bad, try again...have fun...play around and sing in front of people...if none of this makes any sense to you then try being a drummer instead!

Rod

• Members

Well, there are some songs that one can sing, and others can't. Not in terms of genre necessarily, depends on what style. Style differs from genre. Just like maybe you can't sing a Micheal Jackson song, but you can sing a different artist that does R&B.

Maybe you're a guy who can sing Mariah Carey, you know? You never know, you always have to dig for different songs.

Not all songs are good either, that's a different key factor. However, you can probably take a song sung by an artists that probably did ok with the song, and maybe you can sing it better!~

What the comfort zone is good for is practice if you need it, then when you get good of course you need to sing different kinds.

I'm speaking about vocal training, if you get good then of course you can choose a genre you like and get good at it. I'm not saying stick with it if you don't want to.

Examples and suggestions, not making a purely biased point. It's all up to the artist.

Sorry this is gonna hurt...you are so full of excuses that the stench of crap that comes from your text can be sensed over here in NJ!!! All you need to sing is to open your mouth and sing! No instruments, no rooms, not special time....you are so full of {censored} it hurts!

What else can you come up with as an excuse...? The Sun wasn't bright enough? The humidity levels in my underwear were to high? What the {censored}! Open you mouth, force air through your vocal chords and emit a sound...if it's bad, try again...have fun...play around and sing in front of people...if none of this makes any sense to you then try being a drummer instead!

Rod

What's with the rudeness? I'm only trying to help. My god..

I'm giving pointers, isn't that what the author is asking? He/she is asking for pointers, I'm not shooting my mouth off.

Anyways, as for the excuses, I'm talking about people around me (college, home, living in a busy area, no alone time) and I'd rather practice my talent in private. I'm not just gonna start singing my lungs out when it's night. If anything, I do have parks I could go practice at, but I need free time.

Maybe I don't know how it all works, but I know I'm trying different varieties of songs myself, and a comfort zone isn't what I'm implying since every great artist out there has changed their style successfully.

• Members
Well, there are some songs that one can sing, and others can't. Not in terms of genre necessarily, depends on what style. Style differs from genre. Just like maybe you can't sing a Micheal Jackson song, but you can sing a different artist that does R&B.

Maybe you're a guy who can sing Mariah Carey, you know? You never know, you always have to dig for different songs.

Not all songs are good either, that's a different key factor. However, you can probably take a song sung by an artists that probably did ok with the song, and maybe you can sing it better!~

What the comfort zone is good for is practice if you need it, then when you get good of course you need to sing different kinds.

I'm speaking about vocal training, if you get good then of course you can choose a genre you like and get good at it. I'm not saying stick with it if you don't want to.

Examples and suggestions, not making a purely biased point. It's all up to the artist.

What's with the rudeness? I'm only trying to help. My god..

I'm giving pointers, isn't that what the author is asking? He/she is asking for pointers, I'm not shooting my mouth off.

Anyways, as for the excuses, I'm talking about people around me (college, home, living in a busy area, no alone time) and I'd rather practice my talent in private. I'm not just gonna start singing my lungs out when it's night. If anything, I do have parks I could go practice at, but I need free time.

Maybe I don't know how it all works, but I know I'm trying different varieties of songs myself, and a comfort zone isn't what I'm implying since every great artist out there has changed their style successfully.

Hey I started with sorry...! :)

You are depressing and full of excuses, stop thinking and start singing! I work a full time job that demands that I work 6/7 days a week, sometimes more than 10 hours a day, I still practice once a week and find time to play in public and get paid at least twice a month! You are full of crap, making excuses for yourself and will never succeed in singing...or maybe anything else for that matter. Sorry if my honesty hurts your feelings...I'll send you a medal later so you can feel good about yourself...

Rod

• Members

Hey I started with sorry...!
:)

You are depressing and full of excuses, stop thinking and start singing! I work a full time job that demands that I work 6/7 days a week, sometimes more than 10 hours a day, I still practice once a week and find time to play in public and get paid at least twice a month! You are full of crap, making excuses for yourself and will never succeed in singing...or maybe anything else for that matter. Sorry if my honesty hurts your feelings...I'll send you a medal later so you can feel good about yourself...

Rod

No, I get what you're saying. It's taking me a long time to realize my potential, that's why I came back to this forum. I need to learn more about myself.

I want to get past hurdles and start getting into the groove~

Of course, I do need to thank you for your criticism, I didn't mean to sound like I took it the wrong way, but I get what you're saying. Perhaps my words have been reflecting my decisions lately, I'm still trying to grasp the fact that I have this talent.

I will be looking into it more, and the best I can do is grab at it.

I don't want to make any promises, but I just never pictured myself as a singer in my life since I never had this ability before. My health was a big factor a few years back.

It's just, because of past experiences singing, people I know don't know my potential. I also have another dream for a career I always wanted to do, but maybe my life will take a different path. I still have other priorities in life, and I'll be working at different goals for sure to expand my horizons.

• Members

Dam...way to mature of an answer for me to keep being a dick...sucks!

Listen...I survived throat cancer were I lost my voice and came back to singing, better than ever so I don't accept excuses from people and react harshly to anyone that tends to build barriers of excuses not to do something, I see it all the time and it's always the same, someone says they want to do something when in reality all they want is sumpathy and to be the center of attention.

If you want to sing, then sing...if you want to make excuses for yourself all your life, then do that...either way they are your choices but you you choose the second one, I will keep on beng a dick to you...

Rod

• Members

Thanks for all the replies.

I am definitely not the "stick to the genre that your voice is good for" type.
I was just commenting on how I find out which kind of songs worked for me.

Of course, there is diversity in any genre. Enough diversity that I can sing one artist's songs well, but not another.

This week, I've been faithfully doing the vocal warmup (8 minutes) and Level 1 workout (13 minutes) everyday from Anne Peckham's book "The Contemporary Singer" .

In just one week, my vocal cords feels so much more relaxed and I'm easily hitting notes that I couldn't before. So I must be doing something right.

When I get better, I'll add the Advanced Workout (10 minutes) to the daily routine.

If you're looking for a vocal workout that you can do everyday for 20 or 30 minutes, I'd definitely recommend getting the book (comes with CD).

Anyway, I still don't like my voice now, but at this pace, I might end up liking it in the future. :thu:

• Members

I've been practicing again lately, and going back to the topic question - I don't think I'm liking my voice now. My tunes are flopping around even after an hour or so of singing. Even the warm-ups I normally do don't help for too long, but improve my voice a bit.

It's also been humid, and I've been suffering from stress, overexertion, and weather sensitivities.

Tea seems to be helping, but my voice needs a work-out for sure. I'm back to scales and finding my voice again. I can do some pop tunes (of course I don't recall all the words, nor listen to many songs), and my operatic voice isn't what it was before.

• Members

I've been practicing again lately, and going back to the topic question - I don't think I'm liking my voice now. My tunes are flopping around even after an hour or so of singing. Even the warm-ups I normally do don't help for too long, but improve my voice a bit.

It's also been humid, and I've been suffering from stress, overexertion, and weather sensitivities.

Tea seems to be helping, but my voice needs a work-out for sure. I'm back to scales and finding my voice again. I can do some pop tunes (of course I don't recall all the words, nor listen to many songs), and my operatic voice isn't what it was before.

If you haven't already, you might want to get a copy of Anne Peckham's "The Contemporary Singer". The CD is worth the price alone. It has a vocal warmup, 2 level 1 workouts (one for high voice, one for low voice) and 2 advanced workouts (one for high voice, one for low voice).

So basically you do the mandatory vocal warmup, a level 1 workout (either high or low voice), and (optionally) an advanced workout (either high or low voice).

Warmup and level 1 workout takes 20 minutes total. Advanced workout

adds another 10 minutes (for 30 minutes total).

In a week, it has completely changed my voice. My voice teacher was so surprised how much I improved in only a week. Of course, there's still lots more to learn. But I can definitely say I can now feel so many muscles in my throat that I couldn't feel before. My vocal cords feel so relaxed and are much more agile.

Anyway, here's what the workout includes (for the sheet music for each exercise you'll need to get the book):

Vocal Warmup (7 minutes)-----------------------

Descending Fifth, Liptrill-Slide

Fifth Slide + Octave Slide Liptrill + OO

Five-Note Descending Pattern

Major Triad pattern

Five-Note Descending Pattern

Skipping Thirds Pattern

Descending Thirds Pattern

Level 1 Workout for High/Low Voices (13 minutes)---------------------------------

Major/Minor Triplets

Three Five-Note Scales

Descending Intervals

Nine-Note Scale

Octave Arpeggio

Descending Triplets

Three, Five and Nine-Note Scales

Single Tone Pattern

Descending Sixteenth Pattern

Octave Arpeggio with Turn and Descending Scale

Legato-Staccato Pattern

Humpty Dumpty Etude

Advanced Workout for High/Low voices (10 minutes)---------------------------------

Octave Arpeggio with Added Seventh

Minor Pentatonic Pattern

Descending Triplets Octave

Descending Minor Pentatonic Pattern

Ascending Minor Pentatonic Pattern

Five, Nine, Eleven Scale with Descending Arpeggio

Minor Pentatonic Triplets

Minor Pentatonic Pattern

Minor Pattern

Pentatonic Sixteenths

Legato Arpeggio

Interval Steps

So far I've only been doing the warmup and level 1 workout (20 minutes total) and it has done wonders for me. I can't imagine how much better it'll be once I do the advanced workout.

Anne Peckham also has another book called "Vocal Workouts for the Contemporary Singer". It's a companion book that just adds another set of warmups and workouts.

Anyway, good luck with everything.

• Members

I'm fairly neutral in my opinion of my voice. Most new singers get really weirded out by the sound of their own voice, as if it's almost alien to themselves. You just have to get use to listening to your own voice.

On top of that, as you train, your voice becomes better.

• Members

Im still learning how to judge a voice. Alot of the time i lesson to a recording and im not really shur what to change or how to improve. Also I believe you need confidence to mess with your voice. You cant improve if you dont try knew things. I try to mess with all genres to find my own voice. Not just to copy some one elses sound. Whats a good guy singer that would be good to learn to change my tone. Alot of the time when i sing, people say i sing in mono tone.

Archived