Do you like your own voice?

boycalledtrash

• Members

Im still learning how to judge a voice. Alot of the time i lesson to a recording and im not really shur what to change or how to improve. Also I believe you need confidence to mess with your voice. You cant improve if you dont try knew things. I try to mess with all genres to find my own voice. Not just to copy some one elses sound. Whats a good guy singer that would be good to learn to change my tone. Alot of the time when i sing, people say i sing in mono tone.

Two points: when you record yourself, try to be very experimental. The purpose is to discover ways of producing useful tones, and this is really a practice of trial and error. There's rasp, nasality, boominess, breathiness, brassiness, "speakiness," etc., as well as an infinite number of mouth shapes and projection areas. Don't dismiss anything upfront. Breathiness, for example, isn't great for the voice, but sometimes it works in a given song, and sometimes people need more breathiness in their regular voices.

Also, don't focus too much on getting your own voice/sound. That will come, unless you make deliberate effort to hold it back. In fact, try on the styles of different singers--this is one of the best ways to experiment. If I have trouble with a song, I might think: How would Merle Haggard sing this line? Or James Taylor? Or Tom Yorke? If you like a singer, see what parts of his/her style work for you. That's how you build an individual style.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, like Jersey said, try different people's vocal styles out. Often it can help you to find your OWN unique style...

I often find when singing someone else's song (as opposed to my own original songs), I'll find it difficult to sing the song UNLESS I sing like that person. The way they sing it not only suits the song, but allows them (and thus, me) to reach certain notes and get certain sounds.

• Members

I used to not like my voice but...as i continued to apply myself to not only learning vocal technique but also learning to ACCEPT my voice (which takes time) I have found that I am beginning to like it and once you have LEARNED to accept your voice then you can focus more on finding songs you really like to sing and perfecting the delivery of the song..I guess it all just takes time...so keep at it

• Members

In general, I like my voice-- I might as well, it is the only one I've got. However, I can hear how it needs improvement. Usually when I listen to it played back I don't like it because I tend to focus on the negative. If I wait a few months and then listen, then I feel better about it. (On the other hand, sometimes I don't because the problems are glaring!)

More importantly, though, I enjoy the act of singing.

• Members

I thought I would add my thoughts/experiences to this :)

I always have sang and not really exerted myself and I was not particularly proud of my voice. When I learned guitar my musical ear improved a whole lot more, so my pitch was quite accurate and I was confident I could hold a tune, but never too confident in my range or tone. I never sang in public or recorded just through the sheer embarrasment of hearing how awful I was!

This year I start singing lessons, because I was determined to sing, I enjoy it. SInce then my range has extended, my tone is fuller and I feel much more confident tackling any song. My big problem was not understanding how to sing properly and the big thing was breathing properly. This changed everything and now I sing every chance I get and I'm writing songs even planning of doing an open mic night.

I still know I can improve, but I can listen to myself and enjoy it now. I love singing :)

• Members

If you haven't already, you might want to get a copy of Anne Peckham's "The Contemporary Singer". The CD is worth the price alone. It has a vocal warmup, 2 level 1 workouts (one for high voice, one for low voice) and 2 advanced workouts (one for high voice, one for low voice).

I'll second that. It's hard to find book CDs that run the actually exercises for you, instead of just a quick demo. Actually I think it is Peckham's Vocal Workout book CD that I use.

Roger Love Set Your Voice Free has 3 exercises I use all the time too.

Archived