Old rick ..need new pickups

amnesiac

• Members

Originally posted by lug

There is a company out in California called Rickenbacker that you should check with first.

:) unless you want to get rid of the signature rick sound, id suggest keeping the pickups you have now, if they dont work well then order some new ones from rickenbacher, or go cliff burton on that {censored} and put a jazz and EB-0 pickup in it

• Members

Stick with RIC pickups. The newer ones are very hot. Youll lose that bite in the sound if you go with other pickups.

If you were a member of the Rickenbacker forum, you would know about an extremely talented pickup master in Portugal that would make your old Rick pickups sound like the new ones.

• Members

Originally posted by Scottgun

More than one person has told me that the replacement pups that Bartolini makes give you the same Ric sound with less noise and more output. Anyone confirm?

Scott

The Barts do sound good, much better than the Seymour Duncan replacement pickups for Rick basses. The SD's sound lifeless IMHO. The Barts will be quiter than the stock Rick pickups, but the Rick pickups sound a bit more aggressive.

• Members

Originally posted by Mudbass

Lug, you are getting too big to be simply the King of Suck. You are on the threshold of becoming a God.

Please, one step at a time. Emperor of Suck will do nicely.

• Moderators
Originally posted by Scottgun

More than one person has told me that the replacement pups that Bartolini makes give you the same Ric sound with less noise and more output. Anyone confirm?

Scott

Similar sound. More bottom, I think. Less noise. Very good replacements, and often available on ebay for around $50. I also have a Ric with the Seymour Duncans. Also less noise, since, like the Bartolinis, they're humbuckers. Not as similar to the Ric original sound. More of a rolled off high end. Nice for jazz.

• Members

I have heard/played 2 Rics with Bartolini replacements. One was the whole deal, 4001, the other was a 4000 with the single pup.

The 4000 belonged to the bass player of a now defunct Australian band, Ricaine. If anyone thinks Barts can't be aggressive, they should hunt down some Ricaine :)

Imagine a Ric with more shimmer sparkle and roundness. It is still trademark Ric though.

• Members

Originally posted by bassmaniac

How could I ever live with myself if I didn't agree with you, how could I ever sleep at night?!?
:eek::D

Some people seem to be able to disagree with me (i.e. know in their hearts that they are wrong) and yet find some strange semblance of a comfort level to even express these wrong-headed notions in public. I have no problem with people who prefer to disagree (i.e. be wrong), I just don't understand the point of it. :confused:

• Members

Originally posted by lug

Some people seem to be able to disagree with me (i.e. know in their hearts that they are wrong) and yet find some strange semblance of a comfort level to even express these wrong-headed notions in public. I have no problem with people who prefer to disagree (i.e. be wrong), I just don't understand the point of it.
:confused:

I disagree.

Archived