This infuriates me (Rolling Stones)

B-Bottom

• Members

Let me start by saying that I realize that this is has nothing to do with me directly and that I know it's not my money to "waste".

There is a woman that I work with who is in her early 50's and she loves the Rolling Stones. The radio announced that the Stones will be in this area next month or so so she decided she wants to get tickets, they go on sale this Saturday.

When she told me the price of the tickets I almost {censored}. She wanted to get as close as possible so she was going to buy the tickets that cost $175........$175!!!!!!!! You tack the service charge on that and you are paying in the neighborhood of $200 a ticket. Not to mention if you want a t shirt, something to drink and other miscellaneous things, that's somewhere in the vicinity of at least another $60, at least.

I told her she is a fool for paying that much but hey it's her money.

Well earlier this morning a guy that works in the office also a big Stones fan) said that he purchased his tickets early because he is in the Stones "fan club". I put fan club in quotes because in order to join said club one needs to lay down $100 . $100!!!!!

Any who back to this guys tickets. He said that he had bought tickets to sit on stage. These tickets go for the low low price of $350, plus whatever the service charge is.

So this woman that I work with said that she is seriously considering joining this fan club in order to buy one of these stage tickets. So let's do a bit of math

$100- "fan club" fee

$350- seat

$40-ticket master right to rape fee

$45- t shirt (I'm guessing this number, I wouldn't doubt if it's more)

$15- two drinks

$30- other trinkets

That is $580. Which it would probably be closer to $600.

Like I stated in the beginning I realize that it's not my money, but it still irks me that they can rape their fans like this and people are willing, nay lining up to take it.

Three letters describe my feelings on this.....WTF?

• Members

That's just ridiculous (says the guy in the U2 fan club). No, really, that's taking advantage at that point. I love the Stones and will go see them when they're here, but these people are almost paying a months rent to go see them and that's just crazy. I think Mick and Keef have enough money without having to rape their fans for more.

• Members

Same deal for when they come here... the tickets are $60-$300. They are going to make disgusting amounts of cash from this tour.

Sixty bucks for a nosebleed seat? {censored} that, I wouldn't pay more than fifty to go see a concert, no matter who it is.

• Members

Originally posted by Bonoman

That's just ridiculous (says the guy in the U2 fan club). No, really, that's taking advantage at that point. I love the Stones and will go see them when they're here, but these people are almost paying a months rent to go see them and that's just crazy. I think Mick and Keef have enough money without having to rape their fans for more.

the thing that blows my mind is how willing people are to throw thier money away on a band that hit it's prime 40 years ago. I mean I've seen Metallica 3 times. twice during Summer Sanitarium tours and once last year whne they were touring on St. Anger. The Summer Sanitarium tickets were somewhere around $80, which is way to much. the ones last year were around $60. That's to much to pay for a concert I think even though they are one of my favorite bands of all time.

Some of the best shows I've ever seen, Clutch, Breaking Benjamin, Static X were all under $20. I just don't get how people can justify blowing hundereds of dollars on a concert.

• Members

Originally posted by TheDarxide

Not defending them, but whey toured a few years ago they grossed millions, and everybody pointed out how loaded they were getting, but they actually lost so much money that they had to share a mic on stage.....

I don't understand how... going by the price range, let's say the average ticket price is $180. The show will sell out, so that's about 15,000 people. That's $2.7 million from that show alone. I know there are a lot of expenses from a tour of this magnitude, but I highly doubt that they hit $2mil per tour date.

Maybe all the money went to Mick Jagger's ex-wives...

• Members

Originally posted by B-Bottom

the thing that blows my mind is how willing people are to throw thier money away on a band that hit it's prime 40 years ago. I mean I've seen Metallica 3 times. twice during Summer Sanitarium tours and once last year whne they were touring on St. Anger. The Summer Sanitarium tickets were somewhere around $80, which is way to much. the ones last year were around $60. That's to much to pay for a concert I think even though they are one of my favorite bands of all time.

Some of the best shows I've ever seen, Clutch, Breaking Benjamin, Static X were all under $20. I just don't get how people can justify blowing hundereds of dollars on a concert.

Well, I know that the feeling I get after a U2 show will keep me high for weeks, and I literally walk out of their shows about six inches off the ground (and I don't do drugs or drink at U2 concerts), so to me that feeling and that energy are worth $100.

• Members

They haven't put {censored} out worth listening to for the past 20 years. I could see splurging to see a band that you love but, that is just rediculous. People are going for it just to say they saw the Stones...My response, Did you see them when they were good? or in their prime? 1968-83 and that's even a stretch..

• Members

If only people wouldn't do that maybe the concert world would get back to reality. Of course it's never that simple. I wouldn't spend over 20-30 bucks to see any band, regardless of how much I like them. It is just not worth that much money. I could buy the bass cabinet I want to get for what she's going to spend to 'see' a show. Amazing...

• Members

Originally posted by el_duderino676

BTW, when I read the thread title, I thought it was about Rolling Stone magazine, which is another story altogether about how much I hate it.

yea I could rant about that pile of trash as well

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

When you think about it, look at all these acts from the 70's...the guys are in their {censored}ing 60's and still sell out the huge venues internationally. I have to wonder if any of today's bands will be doing the same in 2035.

John Fogerty is coming to my area with John Mellencamp. I would like to see that show. I dig CCr and i like some Mellencamp songs. Bt hell those tickets after service charges are going to be around $60. No F'n way am I paying that.

I can see it now Good Charlote opening for Limp Bizkit for the 2035 tour, Red hat's to da back tour.

• Members

I'm definitely going if they come by MD or VA. They're one of my all time favorite bands and I like their recent music too. It's a {censored}load of money but I've never gotten to see them before. I probably won't go to see them again for more than 60$ but I want to see them at least once. Most of my favorite bands are gone so I'll take what I can get. I wouldn't put it past Mick to be the one puching for high proces, Kieth Richards doesn't strike me as that type. Anyone know if Bill Wyman will be on the tour? He's one of my all time favorite bassists.

• Members

The Stones are playing the stadium that is 3-5 minutes away from my apt. by foot, in October.

Really want to go see them, just once in my life.

Can't justify the cost of the ticket at the moment while I job-search, and am not sure I'll still be here in October. :(

FWIW, the concert is being sponsored by some large corporation whose name I forget. I don't know that even the Stones could afford a mega-tour by their lonesome.

I have no idea what the divided up proportions of profit are, but don't forget: venue owners, promoters, and in our case, probably the city (for providing security and logistics), take a huge whack of the gross to cover their expenses and then some. I'd be interested to know what eventually gets back to the artist(s).

• Members

If I wasn't pulling in 400 a week after taxes, no way in hell would I be able to go see them. It sucks. I'll probably burn about 200 total at the Jimmy Buffett show this Summer. It's my favorite annual event, more fun than Christmas,j ust so {censored}ing expensive.

• Members

Originally posted by Sixgun77

I'm definitely going if they come by MD or VA. They're one of my all time favorite bands and I like their recent music too. It's a {censored}load of money but I've never gotten to see them before. I probably won't go to see them again for more than 60$ but I want to see them at least once. Most of my favorite bands are gone so I'll take what I can get. I wouldn't put it past Mick to be the one puching for high proces, Kieth Richards doesn't strike me as that type. Anyone know if Bill Wyman will be on the tour? He's one of my all time favorite bassists.

They'll be here in Charlottesville. Maybe elsewhere in VA. Only their website calendar knows for sure! :D

I doubt Wyman will be with them since he got kicked out years ago. Darryl Jones, most probably, will be doing the bass honors.

• Moderators

Originally posted by Bud-Man

I would charge what the public is willing to pay-

So would all of you-
:D

End of story. This reminds me of the out of control "I hate corporate radio" thread. The world must be a very confusing place to a lot of people.

When I go to a show I want the ticket prices to be as high as possible, because I have a better chance of getting the seats I want. I have a lot less competition for front row seat when they cost $400 than when they cost $40.

• Members

Originally posted by Kindness

End of story. This reminds me of the out of control "I hate corporate radio" thread. The world must be a very confusing place to a lot of people.

When I go to a show I want the ticket prices to be as high as possible, because I have a better chance of getting the seats I want. I have a lot less competition for front row seat when they cost $400 than when they cost $40.

Will you still make the same argument when tickets hit $5,000+ in 2005 US dollars?

Rock and roll entertainment is only for the plutocrats?

Then again, that's probably the day the middle and lower middle classes flock to some other entertainment option. One that does not crowd the parking lot with Lexuses and booties in $500 designer jeans.

• Members

You know, it amazes me that after the dismal concert year of 2004 that bands are actually getting away with this in 2005! How many cancelled tours were there last summer? Now how many big-ticket names are charging exhorbitant amounts this year?

• Members

What a strange thread....

so you folks really believe that mass produced media like RnR is about anything other than money?

Its about money for the bands, and money for the corporations.

But as every hot-topic, fetish-owning hipster teen will show, part (if not all) of the enjoyment that people get from mass spectacle is the investiture that they make in it.

Part of the enjoyment that the lady gets is a kind of sacrifice: she is literally sacrificing cash to the gods mik and keef.

Ya... Bataille style paganism.

• Members

Originally posted by Kindness

this is why I go to alot more local shows than big shows, $5-$10 per ticket, and a much more "intimate" touch.

Archived