you can play any style with any bass?

Ezeh

• Members

Yep. Some instruments make it easier for certain styles though.

The amount of strings and frets is irrelevent. Whatever the bass you still have 12 notes to play with (unless you're lug and master 13 note atonal scales built on the fly)

• Members

Originally posted by Jazz Ad

Yep. Some instruments make it easier for certain styles though.

The amount of strings and frets is irrelevent. Whatever the bass you still have 12 notes to play with (unless you're lug and master 13 note atonal scales built on the fly)

I'm actually tempted to produce a thesis on lug's work in my third year of my studies. I'm quite sure no-one will be able to dispute a single thing I write for it :D

• Members

Originally posted by james on bass

I would say you can play any style on any bass, but I wouldn't want to see a jazz quartet, or a church band with a BC Rich Warlock.
:)

I saw a high school jazz band once. The guitarist had a BC Rich of some kind. Sounded great, looked terrible consider what was being played!

Otherwise, some tones suit some styles better than others but as said the most important part of your tone is in the fingers. I'd say most of the rest is in your amp, but thats purely speculation.

• Members

Originally posted by james on bass

I would say you can play any style on any bass, but I wouldn't want to see a jazz quartet, or a church band with a BC Rich Warlock.

How about a country bassist with an Explorer?;)

To answer the original question, I can't play slap on any bass.:cool:

• Members

I'm trying to get Yesterdays (Billie Holiday) together on my Beatle bass copy, hoping that it might get closer to the sound of a "doghouse" bass than my solidbodies. It's not easy, but probably easier than finding a left-handed 3/4 acoustic bass.

• Members

Originally posted by T. Alan Smith

Yeah, I see funk more as a
feel
than a
style.

Yeah but the way I see it, it's a thing that comes about when a drummer and bassist are working together in harmony, communicating through the feel of the music and feeding off of each other's creative energy. Otherwise it's just a bassist playing notes.

• Members

Originally posted by Detox

I'm trying to get Yesterdays (Billie Holiday) together on my Beatle bass copy, hoping that it might get closer to the sound of a "doghouse" bass than my solidbodies. It's not easy, but probably easier than finding a left-handed 3/4 acoustic bass.

I have a left-handed 3/4 acoustic bass.

Archived