you can play any style with any bass?

Ezeh

• Members
Originally posted by james on bass

I would say you can play any style on any bass, but I wouldn't want to see a jazz quartet, or a church band with a BC Rich Warlock.
:)

I saw a country/rock band with a bass player playing a BC Rich Warlock!

• Members
Originally posted by bottomfeeder

I saw a country/rock band with a bass player playing a BC Rich Warlock!

I saw Maceo Parker several years back and his bassist used a Warlock. After the first few notes, nobody was gonna tell him he was doing it wrong.:cool:

• Members

What?? No appearance from Lug in this thread yet?!? :confused:

On Topic: Some basses kinda speak to you and tell you how they should be played. That said, I can play almost every style I need to (some not that well..) on the one bass.

• Members

In a basic way thats true imo. However diff basses sound diff and what sounds good for country music voice wont sound so good for death metal. Unless its undead hoedown or something. Lol.

It really shouldnt be about what bassis better for this or that music. But rather which bass is better for a given individual player. To create the voice that works best for them, which has a neck profile well suited to them which has a great fit to body for them, and which turns them on astheticly and sonically & feel wise. Withs pups being then main voice determiner out there among all the basses that use same neck, fretboard, & body woods. It should be about fit to the individual, and pup change if needed to further that.

All the same, I really dont want to see a doom metal band playing daisy rock guitars & basses. Unless maybe their also dressed up as ghoulish blood splatterred & other demented plush toy animals, or something. Lol.

• Members
Originally posted by miles to go

I saw Maceo Parker several years back and his bassist used a Warlock. After the first few notes, nobody was gonna tell him he was doing it wrong.
:cool:

Thanks mister! You beat me to it. That's just the point I was going to make. I thought that guy in Maceo's band had a fine sound happening with the BC Rich.

Was that a good show or what?:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by FreestyleIntruder

Yeah but the way I see it, it's a thing that comes about when a drummer and bassist are working together in harmony, communicating through the feel of the music and feeding off of each other's creative energy. Otherwise it's just a bassist playing notes.

That's how it should be for any musician playing any instrument.

Archived