holy crap!!! i just had the craziest passing thunderstorm wreck my backyard!!

bikehorn

• Members

so there i was, idly surfing around HC and i looked out the window. rain. i hate rain. i ignored it.

so a few minutes later there's this hugeass bolt of lightning and the thunder sounded like a cannon firing...firing in my driveway!!! my computer screen also showed some static at that moment. i don't think the lightning bolt could have been more than a kilometer or two away.

then i look outside some more and the rain is SERIOUSLY intense. like, you'd think there was massive fog rolling in except it was just RAIN. i realised my dad had left the windows of his car open to keep it from getting too hot, but i don't think he counted on this...so i ran out to close them and i gotta say - i've never walked around in the rain and been able to say that the rain hurt...but it did! well once i close that up and ran back in, dried off and changed, i went and shut off all electronic crap, and i got halfway through before ther power went out. and my smoke detectors and stuff all started making funny beeping noises. not as if they had detected smoke or carbon monoxide...just weird random beeps.

we were all looking out the front door, and not the back. so later, when my mom opened the back door after the rain stopped, she found this:

IMGP0284a.jpg

yes, we keep one of those kiddy shacks around for when my neices come over. don't ask.

• Members

Where are you, Bike? I'm on the phone with my sister and she just got his by that sudden storm in her car. Looks pretty bad. I'm at Spadina and Queen right now and have to make my way back up to Spadina and St. Claire. How far off is the storm?

• Members
Originally posted by Bonoman

Where are you, Bike? I'm on the phone with my sister and she just got his by that sudden storm in her car. Looks pretty bad. I'm at Spadina and Queen right now and have to make my way back up to Spadina and St. Claire. How far off is the storm?

i'm by wonderland. Islington & Major Mac...the storm passed, oh, about a half hour ago i'd say.

• Members

Originally posted by bikehorn

i'm by wonderland. Islington & Major Mac...the storm passed, oh, about a half hour ago i'd say.

And my sister just got to Thornhill. I should leave right now if I don't want to get caught in it, eh? Thanks buddy!!! Gotta fly...

• Members

thats nothin the storm came by my place at work and the power was knocked out and dark, so we stood at the window watching the traffic go by in the rain and we saw a bolt of lightning strike the ground across the street and light a freakin tree on fire...

The fire squad got there within 15 minute.. huge flames it was WICKED! :eek:

• Members

hey Bonoman, i went to Richmond hill around 7:00 and everything was fine on the way there...except coming back was not as fun. the rain began again, and i mean hardcore. just as hardcore as the rain that smashed up my backyard, but without the intense winds. so i'm driving along really slowly, hazard flashers on, wiper wiping, etc and i get to my exit. just as i get on the onramp, i look at the traffic lights at the end of the onramp, and KA-BLAM! lightning hits one of the traffic lights and it explodes!! the goddamn traffic light blew up! and i was blinded, sort of, so i pulled over and sat there for a few minutes until i could see again.

then i get home, and everything is dry. the rain didn't get within 4 kilomters of my house.

here's another picture of my backyard, from another angle and featuring my mom and dad checking out the wreckage.

IMGP0285a.jpg

• Members

I was watching the action from Ward's Island beach last evening with my wife and daughter. What a view! Over Lake Ontario and downtown TO it was clear but north of the city looked downright Wagnerian. I remember saying to her that Richmond Hill and Aurora were getting nailed.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by Jazz Ad

In some way I couldn't explain, your backyard looks much more european than american.

How does the fact that he's in Canada figure in here?;) Looks like pretty much every suburban American backyard. Which is different from a rural American backyard, which is way different from a redneck American backyard. The difference being the quantity of items found that would be expected in either a junkyard, scrapyard, or boneyard, but not a backyard:D

• Members

Originally posted by bikehorn

hey Bonoman, i went to Richmond hill around 7:00 and everything was fine on the way there...except coming back was not as fun. the rain began again, and i mean hardcore. just as hardcore as the rain that smashed up my backyard, but without the intense winds. so i'm driving along really slowly, hazard flashers on, wiper wiping, etc and i get to my exit. just as i get on the onramp, i look at the traffic lights at the end of the onramp, and KA-BLAM! lightning hits one of the traffic lights and it explodes!! the goddamn traffic light blew up! and i was blinded, sort of, so i pulled over and sat there for a few minutes until i could see again.

then i get home, and everything is dry. the rain didn't get within 4 kilomters of my house.

here's another picture of my backyard, from another angle and featuring my mom and dad checking out the wreckage.

IMGP0285a.jpg

I got home just in time, and it only lasted a few minutes where I live so I guess I got lucky.

Judging from your backyard I'm going to guess you're just East of Bayview on the north side of 16th, kinda close to the 1-2-3 Market. Am I right?

Archived