Band Pics

Thunderbroom

• Members

My country band had a friend of our lead singer's come to rehearsal yesterday. Some of the pics came out pretty well. They're all group shots taken near our rehearsal space. I put them on our website as 5 rotating images on the home page. It's likely that we'll choose one for the main page instead of leaving the rotating pictures up.

Which would you choose?

slideshow_1.jpg

Pic #1

slideshow_2.jpg

Pic #2

slideshow_3.jpg

Pic #3

slideshow_4.jpg

Pic #4

slideshow_5.jpg

Pic #5

To see them in context, click here.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by greenshag

I don't really like any of them, I keep thinking I am looking at a bunch of people in a pic, not a band....but whatever you do, put the tall red-head lady prominent in the pic you do choose...

We contemplated using instruments in shot but all of us agreed that it looks so, so dorky when bands to that.

"Hmmm...yeah...I'm standin' in the alley with my bass...yeah!"

:)

The photographer plans to be at the party we're playing on 7/30 and will likely come out for the gig that we're playing with catphish's band. We'll then have some killer live shots.

• Members

Originally posted by Thunderbroom

She's 5'11" in flat feet but tends to wear heals quite a bit. The third picture was us in height order.

She's pretty tall. I'll bet she's heard "You should play basketball" a gazillion times...:rolleyes:;)

My wife and I are the same height. We're around 5'11" or 6'.

• Members

Originally posted by bassplayer7770

Are these shots for Yard Fulla Cars? If so, perhaps you should have some cars in the background of your band pic?
:confused:

Yeah.

We actually thought about that. The photog really likes working with us for some reason. We're likely to take some more. The reason we didn't venture out too much yesterday is that we needed to get in an extensive rehearsal because of the party we're playing plus it was nearly 100 degrees outside.

• Members

We contemplated using instruments in shot but all of us agreed that it looks so, so dorky when bands to that.

"Hmmm...yeah...I'm standin' in the alley with my bass...yeah!"

:)

The photographer plans to be at the party we're playing on 7/30 and will likely come out for the gig that we're playing with catphish's band. We'll then have some killer live shots.

those pics with instruments are always a bit, uhmmm...yeah:D

I was thinking something more dark lit, and some sort of group pose, kinda like #1..

• Members

I liked #4 the best.

#1 - It's an uncomfortable shot because you're all squished between the garage(?) and the fence. Also, the only member that jumps out is Melissa (cause everyone else kind of blobs together into a big group). If I try to look at anyone else, my eyes want to jump around to other people and I just can't focus on any of them.

#2 - Decent pose with a lot of individuality. But I don't like that Rich is higher than everyone else. He hogs the attention (not on purpose, I'm sure... that's just what can happen in a group photo). I also would have liked to see this one with a much wider angle. Rich and Jeff are too close to the edges of the picture. It gives it that "squished" feeling same as #1.

#3 - Very cool shot!! Great pose!! But I REALLY want to see this one with a wider angle as well.

#5 - It might have been better if the camera was on a bit less of such a high angle. It doesn't seem like we're looking down at you. It almost seems like we are going to land on you. But the individuality of everyone is there. And no one is stealing focus too much. Possibly a LITTLE wider angle on this one as well. But not too much because the group is already a fair distance from the camera... and it's really not uncomfortable to look at.

• Members

Originally posted by greenshag

I was thinking something more dark lit, and some sort of group pose, kinda like #1..

I'm kinda relieved that the band (remember...there's 8 of us) is not taking it self too seriously. I know that there are tons of great ideas out there. Trying to get folks to agree can be difficult with a trio let alone an octet.

• Members

If you want to look more like a band without using instruments, dress is very similar attire/colors. It gives a "united" look. Not just a bunch of friends hanging out.

• Members

Originally posted by PaulyWally

If you want to look more like a band without using instruments, dress is very similar attire/colors. It gives a "united" look. Not just a bunch of friends hanging out.

We tried to do that actually...I guess it doesn't show.

:(

We all agreed to wear blue jeans and simple shirts limited to black, white or grey. There is certainly different styles. The drummer is wearing a white, long-sleeved, button-down oxford while I'm wearing a bowling shirt.

• Members

THere is a car deep in the woods behind my house. I think you should all come out here and have a picture taken around the car...:D

Actually,I have been meaning to take a picture of it for you, I just haven't done that hike in awhile...

• Members

We tried to do that actually...I guess it doesn't show.

:(

We all agreed to wear blue jeans and simple shirts limited to black, white or grey. There is certainly different styles. The drummer is wearing a white, long-sleeved, button-down oxford while I'm wearing a bowling shirt.

I see that now. But what's killing it is (in order):

#1 - The White Shirts. White (and light colors) pull too much attention in group photos. Lose 'em.

#2 - The Jeans. Too many different shades and styles. Melissa's jeans especially stand out like a sore thumb. No one else is wearing low-rise, aged, faded jeans. They are bordering on gray next to all those blues.

#3 - Melissa and Krissi REALLY need to match up what they wear... preferrably something on the dressier side. Being the two women of the group, they need to "say something" together.

The guys have a good idea though. Sticking with a type of buttoned shirt is a good way to go. The only other suggestion I would make, is to get out of the jeans, and into something dark... preferrably black... especially if you are going to be taking pics outside in the sun. Like I said, lighter colors tend to draw attention. And in some shots, the attention is drawn to the jeans cause the shirts are much darker.

General rule of group photo'ing: The lightest colored pants should be no lighter than the darkest colored shirt.

Archived