Band Pics

Thunderbroom

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Coming back to this. What bothers me the most about a lot of band pics is they show too much of the members. I put down 3 because it shows just the faces. I'm not really a gigantic fan of the composition, but it's very personal, and I like that. I think the wider shots have a tendency to show more than they need, and that can be distracting. Band shots, as a whole, are hard to do. I've done a bit of photo, and when I'm asked to shoot bands, I like to show up at a practice and just snap individuals. You do a "publicity shoot" and the band has the potential to look like a bunch of pretentious yobbos.

just my .02.

• Members

I liked #4 From those listed but I have to agree with whoever said something about haveing cars in the yard to go with the band name.I see something like an old farm house with a super large tree with a tire swing in the background to the left.A few rusted very old pickup trucks and a few cars,Chevy or Ford only.Maybe have a few people sitting on a tail gate/trunk of of one of the trucks/cars.One maybe two sitting in a car one person per car/truck Have the ladys standing in the middle or one middle right and the other middle left leaning against a Car/truck. And in the background to the right maybe part of a garage with a car/truck up on blocks to look like its being worked on. Just some thoughts.I kinda got carryed away sorry.:o;)

• Members

I don't really like any of them. I think that they look a little too "Southern Gospel Group". You have a great band name so I would make the most of it. Go to a auto yard and put the girls in the center of the frame like they are talking to one another and not posing. Have the rest of the band framing the girls in the background and once again looking relaxed not smiling and posing or....
get a shot through a windshield of a car. Put one guy driving and both girls in the center front seat. Then wedge the rest of the band into the backseat. Have everyone looking forward and smiling at the camera.

• Members

Originally posted by chunkathalon

I don't really care for any of them, but I especially have a problem with the guy wearing reflective sunglasses in pics 1 and 2.

I think we picked a bad day to take pictures. It was 95-100 degrees outside and the sun was bright. Most of us were squinting and our eyes were watering just trying to keep our eyes open.

• Members

Just my opinion.........find an auto wrecking yard for a backdrop, and put the 2 ladies up front, and dressed up. (Un)fortunately, when you have some fine looking ladies like those two, that makes all us ugly mugs sidemen.

• Members

That one babe is hot, but so freaking tall she looks like a giant next to the rest of you. (Nothing like walking right up to the snack bar! But what is she, like 18'6"?) So that's why I ruled out 1 and 4.

#3 looks too geeky. Bringing it down to 2 and 5. I voted 2.

• Members

chalk up another vote for "Find a yard fulla cars".

I was thinking of that junk yard over on rt 83 next to the river....instead of the aforementioned brick wall, you could literally find a wall of smashed cars to stand infront of.

That said....I've never seen a band photo that I really liked. I'd much prefer a full stage shot of the band in action.

good luck.

• Members

Originally posted by catphish

I was thinking of that junk yard over on rt 83 next to the river....instead of the aforementioned brick wall, you could literally find a wall of smashed cars to stand infront of.

Our rhythm guitarist recommended that location. We'll likely do something else at some point...maybe even that location. It's just so hard to get together in the first place. Our band members come from Lake Bluff, Schaumburg, Palatine, Bartlett, Chicago, Shorewood, and Crete...very spread out. I'm hoping that our photographer can get some good pics at the party we're playing on 7/30 and also the gig we're playing with you guys.

• Members

Originally posted by Thunderbroom

I'm hoping that our photographer can get some good pics at the party we're playing on 7/30 and also the gig we're playing with you guys.

That stage is so kick ass.....I'm sure you'll get some good shots.

• Members

good luck.

That sounds pretty cool. Tbroom just don't get into any old junk cars. I've been in many junk yards looking for parts for my old English car hobby and you never know what's in there. One time I was looking for a steering wheel and I found one in a closed car back on the lot and when I looked down to the floor boards there was a dead cat eyes aglaze staring me eye to eye. When I told the owner he said " Thanks fer findin' her. She went missin' a fews days back".

• Members

That stage is so kick ass.....I'm sure you'll get some good shots.

It looked like a good setup. The stage we (the rock band) played on in Midlothian was so big. I could actually move around without bumping into my bandmates. When we played in Chicago, I could barely move at all on stage. I had fun regardless!

I guess I don't understand why anyone would put up with someone yelling at them in a band situation.

• Members

That said....I've never seen a band photo that I really liked. I'd much prefer a full stage shot of the band in action.

good luck.

There's a "you pull it" yard very close to here... City Auto Wreckers... on McClure, right at the tracks. Tried to post a yellow pages link, but for some reason that's not working. But it'll come up on a yp.yahoo.com search.

• Members
Originally posted by Thunderbroom

I'm going to pass along all of these comments to Melissa! For the record, she's 5'11", single and 25 years old, and really nice. Our other singer is just as hot...just shorter.

Is that all? Why she look so much taller? Posture? :p Hey, at 5'7", she's still "up there" to me.

So, are they both single?

Archived