DAOTD: Ebonics suggested for San Bernardino school district

bikehorn

• Members

"Ebonics is a different language, it's not slang as many believe,' Texeira said. "For many of these students Ebonics is their language, and it should be considered a foreign language. These students should be taught like other students who speak a foreign language.'

Un-Freakin'-Believable

... this looks like something out of The Onion.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by lug

Mi perro es muy mal and would eat yours for lunch!
:mad:

Hey, photoshopping teeth and glowing eyes onto your pet bunny does not make her look all that impressive.

But I'm sure that you'll agree that the sparklies do maker her look quite fetching:

xena1sparkle.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by scarecrowbob

Hey, photoshopping teeth and glowing eyes onto your pet bunny does not make her look all that impressive.

But I'm sure that you'll agree that the sparklies do maker her look quite fetching:

xena1sparkle.jpg

You little red X'ed my dog, Focker! :mad:

• Members

Originally posted by chunkathalon

I don't feel like I understand what it's like for these students nearly enough to have an informed opinion.

They are going to be learning a way to speak and understand that will do them absolutely no good in the real world.

Basically condeming them to stay in the same situation they are in now, which is pure stupidity. If any of them do have a shot at college, I can't see any way this will increase that number...only decrease it. Know any 4-year universities that would take students who dont' have a grasp on English, but will take Ebonics instead? I doubt it.

I think this is just a cop-out for parents, teachers, and the school system. Public education is in a really bad state in this country, and this kind of {censored} doesn't help kids in the long run.

• Members

Originally posted by beam

They are going to be learning a way to speak and understand that will do them absolutely no good in the real world.

Basically condeming them to stay in the same situation they are in now, which is pure stupidity. If any of them do have a shot at college, I can't see any way this will increase that number...only decrease it. Know any 4-year universities that would take students who dont' have a grasp on English, but will take Ebonics instead? I doubt it.

I think this is just a cop-out for parents, teachers, and the school system. Public education is in a really bad state in this country, and this kind of {censored} doesn't help kids in the long run.

If the program was to integrate them into regular english like they do with other ESL students, I don't know that everything you describe happening will occur. If the idea is to get them through high school without ever learning real english, that's not going to help them.

If the idea is to start with what they know and then add to that as you would with students that only speak spanish when they enter school, it seems like a plausable idea. I'm not terribly confident in our ESL programs either, but they seem like a better start than english immersion without any special accomodation to deal with the fact that these kids don't know how to speak proper english well enough to learn by being taught in proper english as if they did.

• Members

Basically condeming them to stay in the same situation they are in now, which is pure stupidity.

So, not speaking english the way you do and not learning the same types of things in school as you did = pure stupidity?

ouch.

• Members

Isn't it the case that they already speak this language "in the real world" and that the reason that the attrition rate could be high becasue they don't see the relevence of learning SAE?

This is a question of appealing to students sense of what is relevent-- students don't learn things that they cannot connect to use in their lives.

And there is more to teaching writing than teaching the style and register in whcih writers operate; if the power language were limited to its manifest style, then there could only be one language (SAE I suppose; no one could communicate anything in French, for instance, if they weren't using SAE ;) ).

• Members

If black parents would step up to the task of properly raising their children, speaking english to their kids instead of this primitive "dialect" of monosyllabic grunts, we wouldn't even be talking about this.

• Members

Originally posted by Deville

If black parents would step up to the task of properly raising their children, speaking english to their kids instead of this primitive "dialect" of monosyllabic grunts, we wouldn't even be talking about this.

Yeah... that isn't dripping with racism.

• Members

I want to see young black children succeed! How is that racist? Is it because I see parents of kids who can only speak in ebonics as lazy, ignorant, and irresponsible? I'm not a racist.

I believe in teaching black children to speak properly to give them the opportunity to succeed in the real world, instead of putting them a step behind by filling their heads with this ebonics garbage.

I believe they should be given the chance to start on the same level as all the other kids of different races.

That's not racism, chunky! That's equality, baby.

• Members

I want to see young black children succeed! How is that racist? Is it because I see parents of kids who can only speak in ebonics as lazy, ignorant, and irresponsible? I'm not a racist.

I believe in teaching black children to speak properly to give them the opportunity to succeed in the real world, instead of putting them a step behind by filling their heads with this ebonics garbage.

I believe they should be given the chance to start on the same level as all the other kids of different races.

If only blacks spoke ebonics, there wouldn't be anything really wrong with this.

However, like has been posted, that isn't the case.

It's an inner-city youth thing, not just a black thing.

• Members

If only blacks spoke ebonics, there wouldn't be anything really wrong with this.

However, like has been posted, that isn't the case.

It's an inner-city youth thing, not just a black thing.

OK, fair enough. But the spirit of my post remains the same.

• Members

Chunk said "

Yeah... that isn't dripping with racism."

So I have to assume without any smilie that Chunk was calling you a not-racist.

• Members

Originally posted by lug

Chunk said "

Yeah... that
isn't
dripping with racism."

So I have to assume without any smilie that Chunk was calling you a not-racist.

Oh... and all this time I was upset because I thought he was calling me a racist. I leaned more toward the sarcasm thing, but yours makes much more sense.

Thanks for clearing that up, Luggy.

Sorry, Chunks. My bad. :p

• Members

Hehehe....

If black parents were white parents, we wouldn't even be talking about this.

Archived