DAOTD: Ebonics suggested for San Bernardino school district

bikehorn

• Members
:mad:
Ebonics has about as much validity as Pig Latin.
The goal of the district's policy is to improve black students' academic performance by keeping them interested in school. Compared with other racial groups in the district, black students go to college the least and have the most dropouts and suspensions.

Lets dumb the system down even farther, weren't College entrance test scores already reduced to give Blacks a better chance years ago? :rolleyes:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by Fran da Man

:mad:
Ebonics has about as much validity as Pig Latin.

Lets dumb the system down even farther, weren't College entrance test scores already reduced to give Blacks a better chance years ago?
:rolleyes:

Exactly, if the reason is that they want them to do better in other classes, then the intelligent move would be to step up the English program, not dumb down the other classes.

So let's say they get into college with the Ebonics classes, what happens when the college expects them to communicate in an intelligent fashion? Are we going to change the collegiate level as well? Why not have the whole country ditch English in favor of Ebonics instead of expecting these few kids actually put their mind to something. If they're not "interested" enough, it's not an issue of a language-barrier, it's poor teaching. Let's not lay blame on anything other than it truly is.

• Members

Originally posted by bikehorn

~el snipola~

I'm laughing my ass off remembering that way back before the internet was even a gleam in Al Gore's eye, there was a terminal program known as 'Jive'. (apparently ther still IS such a thing...)

Not too long afterwards there was a spoof of it known as a 'Jive Emulator'. (Some of my fellow old farts may recall this...) You could run any text file through the Jive Emulator, and it would be translated.

What the Jive Emulator did was replace all pronouns with ya'll, and end nearly every sentence with 'Sheeeit!', plus a few other catch manoeuvers that supposedly make a slanguage into a language.

I wish I still had a copy; I'd run this post through it just for kicks.

• Members

Originally posted by Smorgasboy

There seem two be two arguments going on here.

One is academic: Ebonics is technically a language all its own and its speakers deserve to be respected as culturally different from the rest of us.

The other is practical: If you speak a "language" that isn't widely recognized, and which makes you sound uneducated and straight out of the ghetto, you will find it extremely difficult to find gainful employment or respect from people who can't decipher what in the hell it is you're trying to say--you know, like in a job interview or on a 911 call.

Given the reality that Ebonics is, after all, a product of poor education in the first place, why would we want to teach it in schools? "Hey kids, you want to sound like you come from a background that doesn't value education or intelligent discourse....GREAT, here's your Ebonics textbook--I hope you'll enjoy being homeless!"

I live in DC, where the English language is mangled on a daily basis. Funny thing, though--while you hear ebonics in soup kitchens and fast food restaurants, it's rarely heard in office environments.

Teaching Ebonics in public schools is a disservice to students, and is quite plainly a really stupid idea.

I couldn't have said it better. Teaching ebonics in public schools is a horrible idea that cannot be seriously defended.

• Members

Originally posted by scarecrowbob

Maybe if you don't understand why there is a debate, you don't understand the topic.

I thought the debate was over who is and who is not a bigot.

I didn't realize that anyone actually supported the idea.

Did I miss the post that detailed the merit of such a program?

• Members

Originally posted by burdizzos

I thought the debate was over who is and who is not a bigot.

I didn't realize that anyone actually supported the idea.

Did I miss the post that detailed the merit of such a program?

Jah, I guess I don't even support the program-- but not becuase people who have a different accent are stupid. It is a disservice, but I assure you that the kids from Paducah TX I teach write about as well as the 2-3 that I have had whowrite what linguists describe as AAVE .

Still it is an interesting idea, and since it is their own distirct (where I assume that a majority of students speak in this register), hey, they should be able to experement as they wish.

• Members

Originally posted by J.

I couldn't have said it better. Teaching ebonics in public schools is a horrible idea that cannot be seriously defended.

You know, though, maybe they should start teaching it as a night course for us adult white folks. Maybe then, I'd have a chance at understanding the people on the drive through at KFC - I swear, the one in Ithaca, I often have to ask them to repeat slowly at least 3 or 4 times before I can decipher what they're saying.

• Members

Originally posted by bholder

You know, though, maybe they should start teaching it as a night course for us adult white folks.

The problem with that is, by the time you're finished with the course, the entire vernacular will have changed. Dig?

• Members

How do you say "whitey done me wrong" in ebonics?

What nonsense. They're either too stupid or too lazy ti learn to speak English properly, so they invent this crap and claim they have a "genetic predisposition" toward speaking in this manner. Christ.

From now on, I'm going to blame whitey for my every failure. Come to think of it, I be whitey - siiiiiiii....

LC:D

• Members

There is only ONE thing that is stupid about Ebonics; it's the same thing that is stupid about any language: Languages only exist as a means of communicating with others. If they fail to accomplish that task they have no vaue at all.

Right, wrong, indifferent or otherwise the English language is the language of MONEY. This is why it its taught in nearly all nations, especially those with banking economies (eg:SW).

I can't see anything wrong with the idea of teaching English in an English-speaking country. In fact, many problems might simply dissapear, were we all speaking the same language, and all fully informed of the meaning of words.

'Ebonnics' is not a language, and it should not be 'taught' in public schools. It is not but a gutteral bastardisation of another language (English) with no purpose other than perpetuating a racial divide between those who CAN speak it and those who cannot.

From whence a language and its own words derived is not important. All that matters is that others to whom it is spoken actually can understand it.

Inventing new languages is not an answer to the probelm that lack of communication poses. ONLY clarification of definition of existig terms can aid ibn this dilemma.

"The problem with comunication is the illusion that it has been accompkished." --G.B. Shaw

New words are not the answer to people not understanding words that already exist.

Archived