DAOTD: Ebonics suggested for San Bernardino school district

bikehorn

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by scarecrowbob

Well, it would be, if I thought that black folks should be white before they are considered legitimate humans.

:confused:

I'm rather doubting whether Michael Jackson is a legitimate human being or The Thing from the Extraterrestrial Swamp.

• Members

I'm not saying they can't be black, or inner-city, or urban, or "street". Whatever label you want to put on it.

I'm just saying they should learn english first. They can screw it up to their hearts' content after class is over.

• Members

Originally posted by Deville

I'm not saying they can't be black, or inner-city, or urban, or "street". Whatever label you want to put on it.

I'm just saying they should learn english first. They can screw it up to their hearts' content after class is over.

You are teh good here. I think that like M.Savage, you tell it like it is.

Because we all know that being black is screwing up.

• Members

You are teh good here. I think that like M.Savage, you tell it like it is.

Because we all know that being black is screwing up.

You put words in my mouth.

When I said screw it up, I was referring to the english language. I did not say being black was screwing up.

You are trying to pick a fight, and you cannot defend your position. So you choose to twist my words into something I didn't say. Pretty sad.

Oh, and I can understand misspelling a large word you don't use very often, but why have you repeatedly messed up the word "The"?

How do you expect me to take you seriously?

• Members
Originally posted by beam

I think scarecrow is just {censored}ing with the thread

Probably. But to be fair, I should point out that after careful review of the thread, I was wrong about him repeatedly misspelling the word "The". He only did it once.

He did misspell "Hardly" and "Appropriate" earlier, though. So there. :p

• Members

Well, I'll respond to one thing, at least. Mainly because I don't expect you to take me seriously.

"teh" is a neologistical definite article used on certain communities in the internet:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=u+teh+funneh

I like it because it is reflexive-- it is a mark that the discourse is in fact text-- and because it offeres a kind of double intensity: the intensity of a definite article and an abstract noun coupled with the rhetorical efficacy of a neologism.

I don't expect you take this next idea seriously, either:

The fact is, since you don't recognize that these folks already speak a register of English (i.e. "they need to learn English" because they only speak in "monosyllabic grunts" and [implicitly]only the language that you speak is proper to English), you are just prejudiced against them. I don't know if it is a class thing or a race thing, but it is prejudice.

Your formlation of the situation is precicsely why it is important to recognize multiple legitimate registers of English.

• Members
Originally posted by Deville

Probably. But to be fair, I should point out that after careful review of the thread, I was wrong about him repeatedly misspelling the word "The". He only did it once.

He did misspell "Hardly" and "Appropriate" earlier, though. So there.
:p

:D

• Members

...I don't know if it is a class thing or a race thing, but it is prejudice.

K, so what your saying is I don't like people, regardless of race or class, who don't teach their children to use proper english when they live in the US?

Yes, now you've got it! I believe I have made that abundantly clear.

I freely accept that.

• Members

Well, I'll respond to one thing, at least. Mainly because I don't expect you to take me seriously.

"teh" is a neologistical definite article used on certain communities in the internet:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=u+teh+funneh

I like it because it is reflexive-- it is a mark that the discourse is in fact text-- and because it offeres a kind of double intensity: the intensity of a definite article and an abstract noun coupled with the rhetorical efficacy of a neologism.

I don't expect you take this next idea seriously, either:

The fact is, since you don't recognize that these folks already speak a register of English (i.e. "they need to learn English" because they only speak in "monosyllabic grunts" and [implicitly]only the language that you speak is proper to English), you are just prejudiced against them. I don't know if it is a class thing or a race thing, but it is prejudice.

Your formlation of the situation is precicsely why it is important to recognize multiple legitimate registers of English.

Talk about going around the block just to cross the street, that sure is a lot of words to explain a typo.

:D

This assessment is every bit as foolish as allowing the word "irrigardless" into the dictionary because of common usage. So the message we are sending is this:

If enough people get something wrong instead of correcting them, let's just change the definition of wrong.

The End can't come soon enough...

• Members

There seem two be two arguments going on here.

One is academic: Ebonics is technically a language all its own and its speakers deserve to be respected as culturally different from the rest of us.

The other is practical: If you speak a "language" that isn't widely recognized, and which makes you sound uneducated and straight out of the ghetto, you will find it extremely difficult to find gainful employment or respect from people who can't decipher what in the hell it is you're trying to say--you know, like in a job interview or on a 911 call.

Given the reality that Ebonics is, after all, a product of poor education in the first place, why would we want to teach it in schools? "Hey kids, you want to sound like you come from a background that doesn't value education or intelligent discourse....GREAT, here's your Ebonics textbook--I hope you'll enjoy being homeless!"

I live in DC, where the English language is mangled on a daily basis. Funny thing, though--while you hear ebonics in soup kitchens and fast food restaurants, it's rarely heard in office environments.

Teaching Ebonics in public schools is a disservice to students, and is quite plainly a really stupid idea.

• Members

Originally posted by vanlatte

The End can't come soon enough...

This is the end. My only friend, the end.

Waiting for the suuuuuuuuuummmmer rain.

The killer awoke before dawn.

Father?

Yes son?

I want to kill you.

*continues rocking out*

• Members

Originally posted by Smorgasboy

Given the reality that Ebonics is, after all, a product of poor education in the first place, why would we want to teach it in schools? "Hey kids, you want to sound like you come from a background that doesn't value education or intelligent discourse....GREAT, here's your Ebonics textbook--I hope you'll enjoy being homeless!"

I live in DC, where the English language is mangled on a daily basis. Funny thing, though--while you hear ebonics in soup kitchens and fast food restaurants, it's rarely heard in office environments.

Teaching Ebonics in public schools is a disservice to students, and is quite plainly a really stupid idea.

Thank you for explaining this so eloquently. I couldn't agree more.

• Members

Originally posted by SpaceGhost

This is the end. My only friend, the end.

Waiting for the suuuuuuuuuummmmer rain.

The killer awoke before dawn.

Father?

Yes son?

I want to kill you.

*continues rocking out*

He put his boots on...

He took a face, from the ancient gallery and he...walked on down the hall!

*joins in rocking out*

• Members

Originally posted by beam

He put his boots on...

He took a face, from the ancient gallery and he...walked on down the hall!

*joins in rocking out*

Nobody be gettin' outta heer alive, yo!

I am not ashamed to admit that I suck at Ebonics.

• Members

After reading through the article and some of the strange response on this thread, I still cannot understand why in hell ANYONE would support this.

Personally, I feel that if you want a drivers license or even hold a job here in the good ole' US of A, you need to be proficient at communicating with your fellow countrymen. This cannot be accomplished with ebonics.

If these fools in San Bernardino County spread this around any more, I can pretty much guarantee that the only thing you'll hear out of the student's who take these "classes" mouths will be either:

1) "you wan some fries wid dat, man?"
or
2) "get da fug off my back pig cop!"

Is this a RACIST statement? No. I don't care what nationality they are. It doesn't matter. Introducing a "social language" that makes it difficult to integrate society as a whole is just dumb. I can

• Members

Originally posted by Smorgasboy

Amen

Archived