I was robbed at work today.

BEAD

• Members

Just after we (two people open the store) opened the lobby at the coffee shop I work at some dude came in, walked behind the counter, pointed a knife at my stomach, and told me to empty the registers. I complied without hesitation. He promptly left. The police came but did not catch him. It's highly unlikely they will given he was wearing a hoodie and a bandanna over his face.

Having to work the rest of my shift today was very lame. Especially having to hear people retell the story over and over as if it was something really exciting. Also, having to hear my coworkers talk about what they would have done differently.

I'm so mad right now. Having someone point a knife to my stomach and threaten me is an absolute violation.

Just wanted to share.

• Members

Oh... while I was emptying the register I hit the silent alarm button under the counter. It's supposed to alert some sort of authority. 4 hours later some security company called to see if we needed help or if it was a false alarm.

• Members

Originally posted by chunkathalon

Oh... while I was emptying the register I hit the silent alarm button under the counter. It's supposed to alert some sort of authority. 4 hours later some security company called to see if we needed help or if it was a false alarm.

I think you need a new security company.

• Members

Originally posted by Oingy

The fact that you have to finish your shift after something like that is {censored}ing appaling.

Yes!

This is also appalling!

• Members

Glad to hear you're ok.

Somewhere I have a video of a local guy who was working at Dunkin Donuts one night when some guy came in claiming that he had been poisoned before he came around the counter and stabbed the {censored} out of him.

At least if you get shot it's kinda over and done with... being knifed if up close and personal. You did the right thing... {censored} your coworkers who talk big... and I'd say you DEFINITELY need a new security company.

• Members

Originally posted by Dark Slide

and I'd say you DEFINITELY need a new security company.

I managed a restaurant for a few years and I used to get regular wake up calls at three in the morning by the alarm company asking if they wanted me to have the cops show up....to arrest the janitors. What was especially irritating is when I got no call, only to show up in the morning and find a big ol' stump that had been thrown through the front door. :mad:

And chunks, glad to hear you're ok. Never been through it but I imagine that I'd be shook up pretty good for the rest of the day.

• Members

Originally posted by Dark Slide

Glad to hear you're ok.

Somewhere I have a video of a local guy who was working at Dunkin Donuts one night when some guy came in claiming that he had been poisoned before he came around the counter and stabbed the {censored} out of him.

At least if you get shot it's kinda over and done with... being knifed if up close and personal. You did the right thing... {censored} your coworkers who talk big... and I'd say you DEFINITELY need a new security company.

So you wouldn't have kung foo kicked the guy's knife away if you were me?

Thanks ya'll. I feel a bit better.

• Members

Your coworkers most certainly would've handled it differently. You just complied with the robber's request. They also would've complied with the robber's request, but they would've soiled themselves from fear as well.

• Members

one sort of funny thing:

he handed me a bag to put the money in... it was really small and sort of crumpled. Without really thinking it through I asked "you want me to grab you a bigger bag?"

:):mad::(:eek::o:confused::rolleyes::mad:

• Members

one sort of funny thing:

he handed me a bag to put the money in... it was really small and sort of crumpled. Without really thinking it through I asked "you want me to grab you a bigger bag?"

Who says politeness is dead in American society??

Glad you are OK.

• Members

It's a bit of a coincidence because a store in Minneapolis was robbed at knifepoint today not very far from where I work. The cops showed up right when the guy was exiting the store. Not being a very bright individual he tried to resist being apprehended by stabbing one of the two cops in the leg with his little knife. BIG MISTAKE. In true Minneapolis cop fashion, both officers drew their guns and shot him dead.

• Members

Originally posted by J.

It's a bit of a coincidence because a store in Minneapolis was robbed at knifepoint today not very far from where I work. The cops showed up right when the guy was exiting the store. Not being a very bright individual he tried to resist being apprehended by stabbing one of the two cops in the leg with his little knife. BIG MISTAKE. In true Minneapolis cop fashion, both officers drew their guns and shot him dead.

Normally I wouldn't feel good about something like this... but today I'm ok with feeling good about it.

Thanks for the story.

• Members

So you wouldn't have kung foo kicked the guy's knife away if you were me?

Thanks ya'll. I feel a bit better.

It wasn't your money? Why would you risk your life for someone else's money? Especially when insurance will reimburse them anyway?

You totally did the right thing.

• Members

I was at a KFC, in the hood, about 15 years ago, and when I came out with a bucket under each arm, two dudes tried to rob me with a knife. I just happened to have a friends S & W snub nose .38, that I was cleaning for him, in my pocket. I saw what was going down, and I just pulled the pistol out, and pointed it at the closest one. As they were running for their lives, I yelled out, "Never bring a knife to a gunfight". And then some other bad words. I was really lucky. They didn't realize the gun was unloaded. You did the right thing. Glad you were unharmed. That was about the only time I had a gun on me in daylight .

• Members

Dude you should have done that thing like in the matrix where the brother rose up and spun down behind him. That was cool as {censored} and then did a Jackie Chan kick up the side of.....

If that's what you had to listen to after it happened then that really sucks. I'm glad you're ok though.

The bright side is that you have a real life Rambo moment of courage on your mancard!

There are people who have a delayed reaction to this kind of thing, they often go on disability.

If you feel super stressed then see somebody.

BTW your manager is a class a asshole for making you stay.

Archived