Finally a full rig pic....

timmerz

• Members

Played a private Birthday party last night out at Sugar Barge, here on the Delta....

Finally got the wife to snap a good pic of me and the complete rig...

sbrig9pv.jpg

The gig was upstairs, 26 stairs......but I'm not whimpering..... That's what Motrin is for......

LOL!

• Members

Originally posted by james on bass

+1. what y'all got in there?

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you guys, spent most of Sunday down in Sunnyvale at a studio that specializes in doing "live" demos, rather than multi-tracking and layering the demo, we wanted a "fresh-live" type of sound, a sound we can duplicate completely in a club....it worked, I think....

Anyway, the rig is thus:

bigrig1qd.jpg

....and I'm really, really content with the sound.....

The Peavey Max preamp I'm becoming more and more impressed with....it replaced a Carvin Pro 15 preamp, which I always thought sounded really good....

• Members

Originally posted by T. Alan Smith

Looks like a killer rig.

+1

From what little I've heard about that Peavey Pre, it's a pretty solid unit.

The SWR Henry 8x8 is one of my favorite cabinets. Great choice!

I've been thinking of picking up one of those BBE units (mostly itching to add some gear, and it looks like it can improve my sound on the cheap). Care to share your experience with it?

• Members

You guys are all very correct, it'll do pretty much whatever I want it to do, from fluttering clothing at 15 feet to warming the soles of your feet with tone.....at any distance.....

This is definitely the best sound I've aver achieved.....

Beam, you're right on the money with that comment. It punches HARD, if that's the tone you have set up. I've never played anything that came close, except for the two Goliath III's that I played stacked under an SWR SM-900 at a split-gig about 6 months ago where I was using the other band's bass player's rig....the NEXT DAY I started looking on Ebay for a Megoliath.

M-1 Fan, thanks for reminding me! I completely forgot about scrounging-up another couple of screws for the top of the Carvin...gotta do that soon, lotta weight there!

Illidian, the BBE adds another dimension to the bass sound....not to be melodramatic or anything, it adds a "high-end" sound to an ordinary bass sound, gives it a bump in the mid's/highs, sort-of....supposedly, it "time-aligns" the sound, because our ears will hear the highs before the bottom, so it places the tiniest of delays on the mids/highs so that the sound comes out of your cab in a fashion so that the human ear can hear the whole sound at the same time. It works for me, I can hear a difference between "on" and "off", and I like the way it sounds when it's "on", so I'm keeping it. You can totally adjust how much of the effect you have on your sound, and you can adjust the bottom contour also.

Thanks, everybody, for the nice comments!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by timmerz

Beam, you're right on the money with that comment. It punches HARD, if that's the tone you have set up. I've never played anything that came close, except for the two Goliath III's that I played stacked under an SWR SM-900 at a split-gig about 6 months ago where I was using the other band's bass player's rig....the NEXT DAY I started looking on Ebay for a Megoliath.

I've always wondered why someone would choose to run an 8x10 instead of two 4x10's. It seems the end result would be the same, but you'd have more flexibility. And it would be easier to transport and set up two medium-sized cabinets instead of one huge one.

Originally posted by timmerz

the BBE adds another dimension to the bass sound....not to be melodramatic or anything, it adds a "high-end" sound to an ordinary bass sound, gives it a bump in the mid's/highs, sort-of....supposedly, it "time-aligns" the sound, because our ears will hear the highs before the bottom, so it places the tiniest of delays on the mids/highs so that the sound comes out of your cab in a fashion so that the human ear can hear the whole sound at the same time. It works for me, I can hear a difference between "on" and "off", and I like the way it sounds when it's "on", so I'm keeping it. You can totally adjust how much of the effect you have on your sound, and you can adjust the bottom contour also.

Thanks for the description! I've always wondered what exactly the BBE did. After all, "sonic maximization" and "time alignment" sounds like a load of malarkey. But your description of the sound makes it easier to understand.

Having said that, I still wonder if a good parametric EQ wouldn't have the same effect?

Emre

Archived