Which head should I get...Ampeg or Eden

ZenMoto

• Members

I just ordered up a custom made Ultralite LDS 4 x 10 from Low Down Sound here in Detroit and I'm gonna need a head to go with it...I'm trolling on ebay mostly and I'm thinking a late model SVT III Pro or an Eden WT-550....I play in a classic rock cover band and most of my sound is pretty traditional. I play finger style and with a pick and although I enjoy slapping I'm not the best at it and it doesn't make it into our performances...I want a more modern tone though and I always look on enviously when I step into the music store and hear the warm / modern sounds coming from the players in there. My old Peavey rig although reliable as a hammer and plenty loud just left me cold in the tone dept...It's at Low Down Sound as I type this on consignment. Any thoughts from the forum ?

• Members

Wait....wait....wait!!! Buy the Ampeg. I also play in a classic rock cover band and play with a pick full time. I play Ampeg exclusively but thought I would try an Eden once so I bought a WT-300. Played one gig with it and sold it to go back to my Ampegs. Not the classic rock sound at all IMO. Little cut and too subtle in the mix. But try them and see. I think you will like the Ampeg better.

• Members

I own both Eden and Ampeg rigs. Knowing what I know...go with Ampeg, it is perfect for the type of music you are playing.

BTW...The people at Low Down Sound are some of the nicest, professional people that you will meet in any music shop. I live a little south of Toledo, and I shop there as often as I can.

• Members

Originally posted by T. Alan Smith

Every time I plug into an Ampeg head, it takes a lot of tweaking to get a sound that I'm comfortable with. Every time I plug into an Eden head, I'm quite content with it flat....

Sound is a funny thing. I have eactly the opposite eperience.

Mind you, I've played Ampeg much more than Eden.

• Members

Originally posted by BigPigPeaches

Everyone is wrong. The correct answer is: buy them both. Then whichever one you don't like, ship to me. Hell, I'll even cover the shipping cost. Then you have no buyer's remorse. At all.
:idea:

BPP, you are obviously THE voice of reason, here. ZenMoto would do well to take this sage advice from such an esteemed and experienced member of this forum.

Now if you can actually pull this off, I'll pay you half the shipping to take whatever you're getting rid of when your new Ampeg or Eden arrives! :D

Billy-B

• Members

All the great suggestions are in here.

1. Ampeg SVT-3 PRO. If you like this sound, you like it. It's classic rock. Solid choice.

2. Eden WT550. A bit cleaner than the 'peg. If you like this sound, you'll find a way to make it work.

3. Mesa M-Pulse/Walkabout heads. Great tone. Very tube-ish with only a tube pre. If you like the rich harmonics, this would be it.

4. Genz-Benz GBE600. Splits the difference between the other three. Oh, and it's got some killer sounds that differ from the other three as well. Great for slap with L.F. extend and H.F. attack (though I'm not a fan of the mid scoop).

Try them all.

• Members

I had an Ampeg SVT3PRO for a while, and while I didn't like the recording tone, the live tone i liked allot.

I haven't tried an Eden yet, hopefully this weekend :)

I have been using a Genz Benz though, and out of the two I liked the Ampeg better.

For rock or classic rock, Ampeg really has no equal, IMO

• Members

Well...It's like this...I could buy either head new at Low Down Sound and pay the price for a brand new head or I could buy used... My budget is shot to hell already looking at the used gear...I figure I'm going to go with the EDEN set-up and buy used and if it doesn't do it for me then I can re-sell it and not loose my ass on it...I'm fairly confident the LDS cab is going to work out well with either head...We'll see...I'll send a report back to the forum along with a pick of the new rig...Problem is none of the shops in town sell eden AND ampeg except LDS and they don't have either of the units in stock at the moment....Plus I can never tell how much I like something until I use it in the real world at real volume.

• Members

Originally posted by Jazz Ad

Sound is a funny thing. I have eactly the opposite eperience.

Mind you, I've played Ampeg much more than Eden.

Actually, I've played Ampeg much more than Eden as well. :rolleyes::D

So what are your thoughts on the GB in comparison to Eden/Ampeg. Personally, I'm satisfied with the GB's flat sound, but find a lot of useful sounds with minimal tweaking. Almost the opposte of SWR, where I actually prefer it's flat sound, and find lots of useful sounds with drastic tweaks.

• Members

Originally posted by T. Alan Smith

Actually, I've played Ampeg much more than Eden as well.
:rolleyes::D
So what are your thoughts on the GB in comparison to Eden/Ampeg. Personally, I'm satisfied with the GB's flat sound, but find a lot of useful sounds with minimal tweaking. Almost the opposte of SWR, where I actually prefer it's flat sound, and find lots of useful sounds with drastic tweaks.

...and I wanna check out that Thunderfunk head the Talkbass people are raving about. Cryin' out loud, they're made 2 hours away from me in Chicago!

Archived