Combo or Rig?

Devinstation

• Members

Unless there's a specific combo you're in love with, get a rig so you can change things later. SWR Redheads are great, but if you decide you don't really like the head or the speakers, you have to sell the whole thing to swap gear.

• Members

I bought a Hartke HA5500 (330 watts at 8ohms, 500 watts @ 4ohms) & 4.5XL Cab back in Feb 05. The Cab weighed 99lbs and the amp weighed about 26lbs. needles to say lugging this thing up and down from my attic office was a pain in the ass and back! (and I didn't love the the tone!) So, I sold it on ebay. I just placed an order for a SWR Super red head combo 350 watts exp to 450 watts with another cab. It weighs 80lbs and is about 3/4 the size. So I can gig with this without a problem. In the spring I might add the Son of Bertha 15" w/horn cab to put under it. (use it when I need it)

So, if you don't like hauling super heavy gear, or you have limited trunk space (no SUV) go with a combo. There are many out ther with high wattage.

SWR Super RedHead

EDEN METRO DC210

Aguillar 500

Fender Pro 400

Ampeg BA500 (my second choice)

just to name a few They all have 350 watts.:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Devinstation

What about the Ashdown Mag 300 head with matching 4x10 cab? Easy 600 bucks. But I play mostly punk,ska, and SOME hardcore, so I need it to go from low low to ANGRY! I like an Overdriven sound, should I just get a Pedal for that?

Spend $500 instead and get a discount on the Ashdown when you get an Avatar speaker. www.avatarspeakers.com.

I've got both an Ashdown and Avatar cab; the Avatar is superior to Ashdown's MAG cabs.

The MAG 300 isn't super agressive but it'll do the job. If it isn't enough you can sell it and get a GK 400RB off of Ebay or stick an overdrive box in front of it.

• Members

Originally posted by mxpxfan

Head and cab all the way. That way you can change it or upgrade alot more easily.

How so ?

You want to upgrade, just buy a new combo.

No hassle with matching new and old gear, trying them together at the shop or anything.

• Members

Originally posted by Jazz Ad

How so ?

You want to upgrade, just buy a new combo.

No hassle with matching new and old gear, trying them together at the shop or anything.

because you can ugrade one peice at a time. And if you want the some head with different speakers it's alot easier.

• Members

Originally posted by mxpxfan

because you can ugrade one peice at a time. And if you want the some head with different speakers it's alot easier.

When you change your combo you only buy one piece.

You also know that the amp and LS will match together.

• Members

Head and cab. It's easier to swap out bits as you upgrade, or if you want a new tone.

Think Eden Silver Series or Traynor YBA for the head---different tones, but both sound great.

As for cabs---Eden, Avatar, WHY---one thing you can count on at HBCF is getting a multitude of responses when you ask for gear recommendations.

• Members

OK I found a PEAVEY MAX 700 for $375 and a GK 800 RB for $350 and a GK 1001 RB for $499. I'm gonna go ahead and say the GK 1001 is outta my price range so its down to the Max 700 and the 800RB. I would like to spent around $600, so which one is more aggressive, or driven? I know we have some Peavey guys in here. Or which one would sound better with a pedal in front of it to make it driven?

• Members

Originally posted by Jazz Ad

When you change your combo you only buy one piece.

You also know that the amp and LS will match together.

Could you flush out your comment a bit further? What sort of things does one have to worry about when trying to match heads to cabinets?

My guess is that you would need to worry about wattage from the head and can the speakers handle it. The other would be that head and cab ohmns match up. Later if you added another cab you would want the new cab to match the older head/cab. Speaking of ohmns, which is preferable? 4 or 8?

I am assuming that cables from head to cab are standardized. Is there something that a newbie such as myself needs to know?

• Members

Originally posted by dharmarider

Could you flush out your comment a bit further? What sort of things does one have to worry about when trying to match heads to cabinets?

My guess is that you would need to worry about wattage from the head and can the speakers handle it. The other would be that head and cab ohmns match up. Later if you added another cab you would want the new cab to match the older head/cab. Speaking of ohmns, which is preferable? 4 or 8?

I am assuming that cables from head to cab are standardized. Is there something that a newbie such as myself needs to know?

There is the opinion that heads are made to go with cabs of the same make. I don't buy into this 100%, because with something like Ashdown the heads are far better than the cabs.

Correct about the wattage, but your head isn't gonna put out as much as it says usually.

4 or 8 ohms is definately preferable. Running two 8 ohm cabs comes out to 4 ohms, so I prefer 8 ohmers so I can run two if needed. If you want a single cab and never intend to add another, 4 ohms will be better because your amp will use all of its wattage at the lower ohm rating.

The cable from head to amp are speaker cables. They have 1/4" plugs, like a guitar cable, but are much thicker. DO NOT use a guitar cable to go from your head to the cab unless you like buying new gear.

• Members

I have always been partial to seperate haed/cab configurations so one can mix and match. I don't buy into it at all that you need to match brands.

How about a combo with the ability to drive a second cabinet? You could mix and match sounds that way and still have your basic, manoueverable combo for practice etc...

• Members

Originally posted by JeffBass

The advantage of a great combo can be seen here.

http://www.gallien-krueger.com/products_artist_co_neo1001.html

Plenty of power and tone while being almost criminally easy to move.
:thu:

That combo would be killer! You can power another cab as well like I mentioned earlier down the road for that full rig look and sound.

GK rocks!!:D :D :thu::love:

• Members

I've been using an SWR Workingman's 15 (160 watts) and drive it with a Fender Jazz Bass for about a year now and it works great. I play Christian Music at our Church with a drummer, keyboard, guitar and 4 stage singers and a singing congregation of 150 to 200. I also have the option of going direct into the 1000 watt house PA if needed.......... :cool:

A cab can also be added to push the power to 200 watts.

OMB

• Members
Originally posted by james on bass

....How about a combo with the ability to drive a second cabinet? You could mix and match sounds that way and still have your basic, manoueverable combo for practice etc...

Most combos (save practice models) will allow you to do just that.

Archived